Canvas snap replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. fb. "...zero other projects..." HAH! I've got LOTS to do. Set aside a month or so....

Agreed. I was supposed to retire August 31st but they made me a nice offer to hang on so I continue on for a bit. When I was counting the days I was planning 1 month for the boat to complete everything (knowing full well it would be 2 months). Complete everything on my current list and not taking into account the projects that will come up during the month. Can't wait. End of first quarter 2019 most likely. Hopefully that gives me enough time to complete them before hot weather arrives yet again.

Love this post. I'm thinking of making a flybridge enclosure for our new boat - already has a nice one yr old bimini attached to the radar arch, so will just need the sides - but it is a fairly large FB:angel::angel: I've looked at some used Sailrite machines and some other brands also - when we had a sailboat I made several items such as sail covers ..., using my wife's Singer - so not a total novice.

I have a Sailrite 111 machine with the upgraded motor. Absolutely get the upgraded motor. I can single stitch through 6 layers of Sunbrella with the upgraded motor.

I have a Sailrite 111 machine with the upgraded motor. Absolutely get the upgraded motor. I can single stitch through 6 layers of Sunbrella with the upgraded motor.

I'm not familiar w the Sailrite 111 - wondering if it's been discontinued?

I can say the common LS-1 or LSZ-1 machines with the monster wheel option / mod do a very good job w/ multi layers - I've tried 10 layers of Sunbrella w/ no problem - didn't see a point going further.
About the toughest job I've done is sewing onto vinyl awning rope and it handles that reasonably well.
Periodically there are used LS-1s or LSZ-1s available.

Yes, discontinued and I believe replace by a model called "The Fabricator". We have the LSZ1 with the "Monster Wheel" which is aptly named.

My machines, when I was in the upholstery business, were walking foot Pfaff and Consew industrial machines. I don't remember the model numbers but most are quality machines with large bobbins, and the ability to hold and run larger cones of thread. They can also handle larger diameter threads that a home machine can't usually run without having problems. I've never used a Sailrite machine but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

If you buy a Pfaff or Consew, you can probably get your money back by selling it off when the project is done.

If I remember correctly the Sailrite machines are the same basic machines as the Consew but Sailrite takes them and files down/smooths out this and that, upgrades some things, does a more thorough fit and finish on them and resells.

If I remember correctly the Sailrite machines are the same basic machines as the Consew but Sailrite takes them and files down/smooths out this and that, upgrades some things, does a more thorough fit and finish on them and resells.
None of the Sailrites look like any like the industrial Consew machines I have owned or used. At least none I have seen on their website and in their videos.

It may have been another brand? Is there an Asian manufacturer named "Typical" maybe? Doesn't matter, their machines are nice and I do know that they take whatever they bring in and make them better so to speak.

Yes, discontinued and I believe replace by a model called "The Fabricator". We have the LSZ1 with the "Monster Wheel" which is aptly named.

I have a Sailrite LSZ1. Love it. It is a walking foot oscillating hook machine that works best with polyester or ok with PTFE thread. Skipped stitches may result with Tenara thread. Learned the hard way.

The 111, Professional, Fabricator and Big and Tall machines are rotary hook walking foot machines that will work with Tenara lifetime thread as well as all other types.

I have a Sailrite LSZ1. Love it. It is a walking foot oscillating hook machine that works best with polyester or ok with PTFE thread. Skipped stitches may result with Tenara thread. Learned the hard way.

The 111, Professional, Fabricator and Big and Tall machines are rotary hook walking foot machines that will work with Tenara lifetime thread as well as all other types.
That may explain why I have heard mixed results / reviews re Tenara thread.
Many DIY folks are using the LS-1 or LSZ-1 machines and usually they are not specifying the machine being used.
Thnx

I am surprised to hear this as I thought Tenara thread was the end all be all for boat canvas on Sailrites. Go figure.

I’m currently making some canvas rails covers out of sunbrella. I recently bought a Sailrite ls1 and spending a LOT of time learning. I’ve been making some decent stitches with Tenara. Early on I had a lot of skip stitches. Watched a few more vids and experimented a lot and now hardly a skipped stitch. For me, it was using a smaller needle and more so, getting a bright light and being super anal retentive about needle placement. If the needle was even slightly mis aligned, the loop does not get picked up and skip stitch. Latest struggle has been thread tension. I’ve experimented a bunch and finally came up with essentially no tension to the bobbin, then crank the thread tension all the way to closed. I’ll sew a test bit and start with the thread being pulled up to the top and then actively turn the tension down, barely a tick or two from closed and watch for the instant the stitch balances. I’ve found it’s a n extremely narrow range. I am skeptical that this is “right”, just know that it works and is repeatable.

I’m learning. A lot. Not all figured out, but do believe that the Sailrite is capable of successfully sewing Tenara.

So for exterior boat canvas of the Sunbrella variety, what would a good second thread choice be? Something easier to sew successfully but able to withstand exterior wear and weather?

My hat is off to your patience ghost. When it is that much trouble to use a thread, IMO there must be something wrong, I went back and read the fine print finding out that Tenara works better on a rotary hook machine.

Try Profilen (PTFE) it is much easier to use on a LSZ1. PTFE is also lifetime thread. It is my go to thread, but it only comes in clear.

Polyester thread does not last as long, comes in many colors and IMO works the best on a oscillating hook machine such as the LSZ1.

Last edited:
I only use Tenara thread with my Sailrite 111. I will not even try anything else. Mine sews with Tenara perfectly. It is the only thread to use, period. Sailrite does sell a knock-off thread that is just like Tenara that is probably just as good, I just have not tried it. The poly threads will rot way before the canvas if it is Sunbrella goes bad. Then you will have to restitch it. Too much work. If you are having canvas work done, insist on Tenara or find a different fabricator. If you are doing your own fabrication, then get a machine that will sew Tenara. Maybe have someone that knows how to adjust the machine work on it. Mine was setup by Sailrite and that is why I will not use any other thread with it, because it works so well now I don’t want to mess it up.

An after though about how tough Tenara is, it goes through my hot knife about half of the time and comes out the other side intact. I think that is impressive.

I guess this is why I see comments about Tenara being "hard to sew with".

I don’t think it is hard to sew with, you just need the correct machine and have it set up correctly. When we lived in Azizona, poly thread would rot in 2.5 years, so you had to have it restitched. I guess it was job security for fabricators because I had several tell me they would not use Tenara. That was part of the reason I bought my own machine. It has paid for itself about 8 times over so far.

Back
Top Bottom