Canvas Costs along America's Great Loop route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater

Vessel Name
Persistence
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34
I'm wondering how much the cost for canvas work varies in the Eastern U.S. I have a '97 Marine Trader in winter layup in Wisconsin that I'm prepping for a Great Loop Cruise starting late this summer from Chicago. I plan to be in the North Channel of Lake Huron mid-summer. I just got an estimate for a new canvas flybridge enclosure from the yard's canvas contractor, and it seemed a little high compared to what I previously read on this forum.

They're asking $10.5K for the work which includes a 1" stainless 5-bow Bimini frame, Sunbrella top, 3 Strataglass front panels, 5 or 6 aft panels, and door. Does anyone have any recent knowledge about what this work costs outside of Southern Lake Michigan? If $10.5K is out of line, I'd consider getting the work done while I'm on the loop trip. Any recommendations for canvas shops along the Great Loop?

Thanks,
Lee

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Good thinking to canvas the membership...

giphy.gif

in many areas...its not the cost but the wait...often weeks to months for a big project like that.

Calling ahead may work, but none of the canvas shops I know about.

$10K sounds about right...depending on exactly what fabric...and opening panels, screens, style of door.....

Last edited:
Sorry to be cliche' about it... BUT...

Good. Fast. Cheap. (pick two)

Canvas is the area that even professional captains and management companies struggle to get done quickly. The only ones with any pull on the canvas makers are the major boatyards and I'm not sure how much they have. I would not plan canvas in the middle of my loop as you're more likely than not to find yourself with a very long stopover.

Canvas is the area that even professional captains and management companies struggle to get done quickly. The only ones with any pull on the canvas makers are the major boatyards and I'm not sure how much they have. I would not plan canvas in the middle of my loop as you're more likely than not to find yourself with a very long stopover.

That being said , he could schedule it to be done during the Florida layover period. Whether it's cheaper than Chicago I couldn't say.

That being said , he could schedule it to be done during the Florida layover period. Whether it's cheaper than Chicago I couldn't say.

I doubt there's a lot of difference in price for the same materials.

Back
Top Bottom