Canvas Color and Mildew Growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi All,
I just applied my first coat of Sunbrella 303 fabric protector on my flybridge canvas (it's Tan in color) to avoid all the mildue buildup I've been getting over and over. I hope this works as I am getting tired of all the mildue that slowly appears on the inside of the canvas, in the zippers, thread, etc....

I started to think back on my last boat that i had in this same slip (I am in southern california). It had a Black Flybridge canvas top. I never had any mildue issues at all with that boat. Hummmm. Could there be a connection with the color differences of the 2 tops (Tan vs. Black)? I know what you're thinking......black hides the mildue. But you can smell mildue too. The black Canvas just didn't seem to promote mildue growth. Maybe it gets too hot during the day and the temperature isn't ideal for mildue??

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has had mildue buildup issues with a BLACK canvas top??

Your input would be appreciated!

Taras

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a black top, but that color gets a lot hotter than lighter colors in the sun. Maybe it just dried out faster and stayed drier?

Hi All,
I just applied my first coat of Sunbrella 303 fabric protector on my flybridge canvas (it's Tan in color) to avoid all the mildue buildup I've been getting over and over. I hope this works as I am getting tired of all the mildue that slowly appears on the inside of the canvas, in the zippers, thread, etc....

I started to think back on my last boat that i had in this same slip (I am in southern california). It had a Black Flybridge canvas top. I never had any mildue issues at all with that boat. Hummmm. Could there be a connection with the color differences of the 2 tops (Tan vs. Black)? I know what you're thinking......black hides the mildue. But you can smell mildue too. The black Canvas just didn't seem to promote mildue growth. Maybe it gets too hot during the day and the temperature isn't ideal for mildue??

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has had mildue buildup issues with a BLACK canvas top??

Your input would be appreciated!

Taras

The top line of Sunbrella has a fine finish on the inside. This promotes mildew in some regions. The lighter colors seem to get it more than the darker ones do.

i was told by a canvas pro that the Seamark and other vinyl-like coated Sunbrellas mildew faster. Do you have this type of fabric? Also, was your old canvas a full surround or just a bimini? A full enclosure has less fresh air circulation and as such would mildew more and faster. Those are my two thoughts!

Happy Holidays!!

i was told by a canvas pro that the Seamark and other vinyl-like coated Sunbrellas mildew faster.

Sunbrella Plus has a urethane coating on the underside and doesn't breath as easily as plain Sunbrella. It will mildew faster if it can't breath.

BUT... it's also waterproof, so I use it on all my overhead canvas. It's a trade off. Leaving some room for air to move usually helps.

Sunbrella Plus has a urethane coating on the underside and doesn't breath as easily as plain Sunbrella. It will mildew faster if it can't breath.

BUT... it's also waterproof, so I use it on all my overhead canvas. It's a trade off. Leaving some room for air to move usually helps.

Right. We have Seamark and a 3 sided enclosure. This pro also said to make sure to use 303 or the coated side will crack and break through the canvas side.

FWIW, MaryKates Mildew Cleaner will clean mildew off of ANYTHING.

We have light tan canvas on our trawler. The side facing more northernly tends to get some mildew in the winter. What seems to work is Tileex. Get the canvas real wet and spray Tileex on the mildew. When it dries the mildew is gone. Has not faded the fabric but I wouldn't try this on darker colors. Tileex also works on mold around the exterior window frames and areas where mildew accumulates.

We mix vinegar and water and put it in a small garden sprayer. No chance of damaging the fabric and it's non toxic..........Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom