Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Bryant's Avatar
 
City: Pensacola, Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 27
Canvas

I javelin a Grand Banks 36. I need to replace my upper deck canvas. The framework is still in great shape. Has anyone done this? Any idea of the cost for a new Sunbrella covering? The back of the upper deck will remain open.
__________________
Advertisement

Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member
 
City: Rockport, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Avalon Breeze
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 46
I just replaced the fly bridge canvas on my 1986 Oceania 35. The canvas guy was the best in our area and works for our Marina. He used sunbrella and risen glass. All panels zippered for easy removal. $11,000 CAD. Using existing hardware.


Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
__________________

Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,886
Our stern canvas is 20+ years old. Each year I have repaired and in necessary sections replaced. Mostly zippers stitching and replace the clear plastic. A lot cheaper than replacing. Also spreads out the cost over many years. I am having 3 panels repaired this year one might have to be replaced.

Each year the canvas is spread with rain repellant. Just the canvas not the plastic. Water beads off.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Guru
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,768
It's a simple matter to call one or more canvas shops in your area and have them come to your boat and give you options and pricing. That's what I suggest you do.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 206
In the PNW, prices can really vary. Ask friends in you marina or club, especially the ones who have had recent work done. Sometimes your favorite yard may have a suggestion.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,460
A good canvas shop should be easily able to look at your vessel and discuss the job. For the windows they should have thoughts on the various kinds of vinyl, polycarbonate and acrylic. Not to mention threads and bonding. Then there are pros and cons of Stamoid vs Sunbrella.

We are going through this same activity. So much has changed in the past decade with enclosures and products, lots to learn we have found..
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,502
"Canvas shops" around here, with a few exceptions, are usually some guy operating mostly by word of mouth. Getting recommendations from boat owners who have done recent canvas work and liked the results is what seems to work best in this area.

The guy that is local to my boat has quite a reputation. He is known for his high quality work and reasonable prices as well as his never even coming close to meeting a completion date.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: Ashland
Country: United States
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I javelin a Grand Banks 36. I need to replace my upper deck canvas. The framework is still in great shape. Has anyone done this? Any idea of the cost for a new Sunbrella covering? The back of the upper deck will remain open.

Are you handy? Have you ever considered doing it yourself? Have you considered all options?

11 years ago I purchased a walking foot sewing machine for about $1500 and canvas and did my own. Zero sewing experience. Replaced all canvas and vinyl over the helm plus curtains around the then new hardtop that covers the stern.

Later did a friends boat in exchange for some cabinet work for my home. His came out much better than mine. He gained from my earlier learning experience Now my helm needs to be redone so I am waiting for a new hardtop from Atlantic Towers (about $5K plus shipping & installation).

So if you're ready to spend $11K as an example given above, maybe worth considering your options to include a hardtop and do your own side curtains.

I learned later that Sailrite has EXCELLENT videos pertaining to canvas work including how to do your own patterns. Any industrial sewing machine with a walking foot will work and there usually a bunch on EBay used in teh $500 or less range.

Sunbrella! I used Sunbrella before but at $25+/yard I intend to look at other manufacturer's similar materials. Just sharing my thoughts and good luck with your project which ever way you go.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I learned later that Sailrite has EXCELLENT videos pertaining to canvas work including how to do your own patterns.
Yup. They do.
__________________
John
jwnall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
Guru
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,041
If you are inclined to give DIY a try check out the DIY Canvas Tips thread here on TF...might be helpful to those getting started sewing or thinking about it
__________________
Don
MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/Portland
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 607
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you are inclined to give DIY a try check out the DIY Canvas Tips thread here on TF...might be helpful to those getting started sewing or thinking about it
Concur!
__________________
John & Tracey
Pairadice S4714
Mvpairadice.blogspot.com
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,716
Sailrite sells Sunbrella and other fabrics, for reasonable prices. My son recently bought a Sailrite kit to replace his sail cover on a 32 ft boat. Including Zippers, ties, basting tape, twist fasteners, Sunbrella, instructions, about $250US. We supplied the industrial sewing machine, he had 0 experience, but did a good job in 1 day.

I had a canvas guy replace my worn out tonneau cover on the flybridge of my trawler a few yrs ago. As Dave reported, a local guy, reliant upon word of mouth from boaters, cost me $500 Cdn. Don't know how much more complicated teh Bimini and side curtains would be. Likely not more than 2x as much.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
Guru
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,768
After paying $100 per hour twice just to have stitching replaced (new thread over old), I bought an old straight stitch Singer sewing machine and began making these repairs myself. It's not worth $100 per hour just to trace existing stitching with new thread. I've also replaced failed zipper and made covers for seats and the helm.


Sewing a new enclosure would be another level entirely. I suppose one could take the old canvas off, cut out the stitching and use it for patterns but in the end, how well is it going to fit and what will it look like?


Considering the cost of the sewing machine and accessories, the canvas, snaps, edging, etc., and your time and effort to learn how to sew and then do the actual sewing, is it worth it? These are the skills we pay $100 per hour for.


Get prices from reputable shops and then compare these to the cost of doing it yourself and the likely results. For many of us, especially if we have decent paying jobs, the shop may turn ot to be the best choice.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
City: Owings, Md
Country: US
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I javelin a Grand Banks 36.
Why does autocorrect software assume that "javelin" comes up in regular conversation so frequently. Maybe once every 4 years.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
Guru
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
So if you're ready to spend $11K as an example given above, maybe worth considering your options to include a hardtop and do your own side curtains.

Sunbrella! I used Sunbrella before but at $25+/yard I intend to look at other manufacturer's similar materials.
foggy...

Take a look at Rochford Supply

Prices pretty reasonable and they sometimes have seconds that aren't all that bad... a pretty inexpensive way to get started w/ DIY sewing (I realize you are way beyond that but they can still be bargains)
I've bought a lot of different materials from them and have been pleased.
I have had very good luck w/ Top Notch both regular and seconds.

Post some pics of your bridge enclosure on
DIY Canvas - Show Off Your Projects
__________________
Don
MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Ashland
Country: United States
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
foggy...

Take a look at Rochford Supply


Post some pics of your bridge enclosure on
DIY Canvas - Show Off Your Projects
HI Don--

I have dealt with Rochford since I purchased my Silverton some 11 years ago. And yes, they are one of the best suppliers.


My hardtop...........funny you should ask. I paid for the hardtop way back in May, Atlantic finished it in about 3-4 weeks. Then it was up to me to travel to NJ, pick it up, take it to my boat in Fairhaven, MA and of course install it.

No fault on Atlantic's part, that was what I agreed to. Then I started to put the pieces together on how I was going to get it, the size is 127" X 103". The thing needs to be transported in a vertical position in a pickup truck or whatever. So back to Atlantic----"Please arrange shipping and installation for me." But their installer had no requests for installation here in Massachusetts.

TODAY I TALKED TO THE SHIPPER/INSTALLER! His schedule is to be in this area next week so I should expect to see him on Thursday or Friday. Time is getting SHORT! My boat gets hauled in around 24th of October. I have to confirm that date.

So my Atlantic Tower's hard top over the rear deck has worked supper great, no bitches with them at all. I enclosed that deck with canvas & vinyl for the curtains. I have some Sunbrella (brown) left over but with my luck this year Wifey might surprise me by saying she wants/prefers PINK or whatever color canvas

I'll see if I can find any old pictures and get back to you for help posting.

Happy, easy going Joe here (today only )

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
Why does autocorrect software assume that "javelin" comes up in regular conversation so frequently. Maybe once every 4 years.
More in "Olympic" years.
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
City: Ashland
Country: United States
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
HI Don--

I have dealt with Rochford since I purchased my Silverton some 11 years ago. And yes, they are one of the best suppliers.


My hardtop...........funny you should ask. I paid for the hardtop way back in May, Atlantic finished it in about 3-4 weeks. Then it was up to me to travel to NJ, pick it up, take it to my boat in Fairhaven, MA and of course install it.

No fault on Atlantic's part, that was what I agreed to. Then I started to put the pieces together on how I was going to get it, the size is 127" X 103". The thing needs to be transported in a vertical position in a pickup truck or whatever. So back to Atlantic----"Please arrange shipping and installation for me." But their installer had no requests for installation here in Massachusetts.

TODAY I TALKED TO THE SHIPPER/INSTALLER! His schedule is to be in this area next week so I should expect to see him on Thursday or Friday. Time is getting SHORT! My boat gets hauled in around 24th of October. I have to confirm that date.

So my Atlantic Tower's hard top over the rear deck has worked supper great, no bitches with them at all. I enclosed that deck with canvas & vinyl for the curtains. I have some Sunbrella (brown) left over but with my luck this year Wifey might surprise me by saying she wants/prefers PINK or whatever color canvas

I'll see if I can find any old pictures and get back to you for help posting.

Happy, easy going Joe here (today only )

Foggy


My hardtop arrived and was installed Thursday of this week. AND SURE ENOUGH, WIFEY EXPLAINED/ SUGGESTED (demanded) that the color for the the new canvas needed for the new hardtop along with all the old brown canvas should (putting it mildly) be NAVY BLUE! Tuesday, I will put my order into Sailrite for 30 yards of navy blue.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
City: Au Gres
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 109
You might try Great Lakes Skipper for Sunbrella. If they have your color, it is about $15 per yard in 60" width.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #20
Guru
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,041
Foggy
I've been very pleased w Top Notch from Rockford.
It's actually heavier than Sunbrella and 60" wide about $20\ yd
__________________

__________________
Don
MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012