Old 10-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #21

City: Ashland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
You might try Great Lakes Skipper for Sunbrella. If they have your color, it is about $15 per yard in 60" width.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Foggy
I've been very pleased w Top Notch from Rockford.
It's actually heavier than Sunbrella and 60" wide about $20\ yd
Thanks Guys for your suggestions. First Sunbrella.....there are good prices currently at Sailrite plus a 10% discount almost through the month. So the 60" material will be about $18-19/yard. The material is 9.25 ounces.

Top Gun from Rochford is 11 ounces that is highly water repellant vinyl coated polyester. I agreed to redo close friend's boat this fall/winter because his white Sunbrella has a lot of mold plus he finally agreed with his wife that the boat should be black, not white. I THINK his already purchased material is Top Gun. If so I will get a sample piece from him this week and check to see how it sews.

My concern is that I talked him out of using Gore Tex thread because I use polyester. Now my justification for polyester is cost and because vinyl will need changing before the fabric, then the entire canvas can be re sewn at the time the vinyl is changed. Now this is just fine IF the old needle holes are not visible after restitching.

I have a feeling this material is similar to Stamoid (12.64 oz/yd) which I believe will show old needle holes. So as I type, I think I will do some more research before I place my order. I am on the boat now and it is raining hard! The helm is soaking wet along with half of the rear deck. Can't delay too long to get the show going. Yesterday, made patterns for 3 panels so it is time to take the cook book and cook!

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #22

City: Au Gres
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I only use Tenara thread. The overall cost at the end of a project is not much different. The extra labor in restitching is way more that the differential cost of thread. The Tenara is a little more difficult in setting up your machine, but once the tension is set properly, it is great to work with.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #23

City: Ashland
I use #92 poly. I tried using #120 poly and it was as if I had string for thread, just didn't like using heavy thread. My personal preference here, not the machine. Mine is a Juki 1541S and it has no trouble punching string through leather.

As to resewing after replacing the vinyl, it doesn't take long at all. Just run the canvas through the machine at a higher speed.

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote