Can I leave my teak natural?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So does anyone want to try and summarize this thread?

If you want to leave your teak au natural, what is the best product and process by consensus?

From the official Church & Dwight website, click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Either fill in the provided form to request information, contact by mail, or call the toll-free customer service phone number to get assistance.
A link to a product description page for Church & Dwight’s Parsons’ Sudsy Ammonia on Amazon.com states that it is no longer available and future availability is unknown. A single five-star review on Amazon.com, as of 2016, states that Sudsy Ammonia is the best household cleaner, cleans a number of surfaces, including floors and countertops, and does not leave any residue. Other ammonia products from the same brand, such as Arm & Hammer’s Parsons’ lemon-scented Ammonia All-Purpose Cleaner, are also unavailable on Amazon.com.
Additionally, a pictorial for making homemade sudsy ammonia is available on WikiHow. The three-ingredient mixture of water, concentrated ammonia and dishwashing liquid soap, is all that’s needed to make sudsy, or soapy, ammonia cleaner. Refer to the specific instructions for safety precautions. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Soapy-Ammonia-Cleaning-Concrobium Mold Solutions

So does anyone want to try and summarize this thread?

If you want to leave your teak au natural, what is the best product and process by consensus?

Clean it, sand it smooth and wash before it get to dirty with as mild a product as you can while trying to scrub across the grain as much as possible.

I good wash/scrub with clean salt water from time to to time is also very good for your teak.

As to what to wash it with, powdered Tide with bleach, sudsy ammonia, oxalic acid, mild powdered teak cleaners, etc. all work well.

On our teak decks I've been using Sea Shields teak cleaner followed by their brightener. Both work fantastic and are very mild.

You can use their brightener in you bare feet with no burning feeling. Something you can't say about most brighteners/bleaches.

Oxalic acid. Cheap and effective. Buy at Ace hardware. Its known as wood bleach. Granular form. Mix with water. Use stiff brush with handle. Careful. It will burn your skin. Allow to soak a bit. Hose off. You can neutralize with baking soda.

Oxalic acid. Cheap and effective. Buy at Ace hardware. Its known as wood bleach. Granular form. Mix with water. Use stiff brush with handle. Careful. It will burn your skin. Allow to soak a bit. Hose off. You can neutralize with baking soda.

Do not use a stiff brush.

Use a doodle bug pad or a med-soft brush and scrub across the grain.

I painted all my bright work with Pettit EZ poxy. Love the look and less maintenance.

I painted all my bright work with Pettit EZ poxy. Love the look and less maintenance.
Clear? Something to match other accent points? Or something con4trasting?

Pics would be nice if you don't mind....

As much as I like the wood trim look, I hate the effort to keep it that way....:D

Last edited:
here is one for you.

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 69
I also replaced all my outdoor teak stairs with Trex. I have kept the stairs in case someone would prefer that. Me? I want as much low maintenance as possible.

Sundeck models do look good with minimal or painted over teak. There is not much on them to begin with.

Sundeck models do look good with minimal or painted over teak. There is not much on them to begin with.

There is a ton of teak on them. All the trim is teak. I unscrewed it all. brought it home, sanded it out and put 5 coats on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom