Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Bottom jobs in your area....

Just curious what the yards are getting for bottomjobs in your area.* I got a serious case of sticker shock when I put my boat into the yard today.* I will get a discount(not a great one)*cuz I know some people but the retail price for a standard bottom job was $44 a foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!* And to upgrade to better paint(which I did) it was an extra $13 a foot!!!!!!!!* A total of $57 a foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* Is that just comletely totally INSANE!!!!

I give up.* I will be doing my own next time around.* That is just total waterway robbery.* I will be looking forward to getting my speed back as my bottom was pretty fouled.* I was missing almost 3 knots!!!...or a coupla gallpons per hour....whichever way you wanna look at it.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -

The yard we use in Bellingham charges for paint upgrades, but only the cost difference in buying the paint. It's not done on a per-foot charge. You can also buy the paint yourself and give it to the yard to use, in which case there is no paint charge.

In the winter they run "bottom specials" which includes haul-out, power wash, prep, and painting. I foget the exact cost of this since we had a bunch of extra work done the first time we used this yard, but I believe the basic price for a GB36 was somewhere between $400 and $500 total.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Bottom jobs in your area....

So what brand of bottom paint is the buy up?* If you are going to have the yard do it make sure they do not thin the bottom paint down, and they shake it up good as the good stuff usually settles at the bottom.* The bottom paint right out of the can is thick and heavy and I have seen/watch yards thin it down. **I really dont know what it costs as I have the yard doing other things while out.*

Every 6 months I have a diver check the zincs, scrape the barnacles off and clean the hull rather than pull the boat. This Sunday he is coming *for the six month check up and at the same time I have him check the neighboring boats.* The bow thruster zincs seem to go the quickest on most boats as the zincs are usually under sized.* Anyway a lot cheaper than pulling the boat and keeps the bottom clean and maintained. **
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

We use Petit Ultima SR on our boat. Ultima SR is an ablative or sloughing paint. The "standard" paint used by the yard is a less-expensive, hard paint. The yard carries Ultima SR (and many other types of bottom paints). But because it's more expensive than the paint they use in their "winter bottom paint special," we have to pay the cost difference, which seems fair to me.

We have a dive company check the bottom of our boat, change zincs, etc. every six months but our marina no longer allows divers to wipe down or clean boat bottoms. They can knock barnacles off of rudders, shafts, props, struts, etc., but they cannot clean the bottom. The "no wipe down" policy is for environmental reasons, and I don't know if this is a state, county, city, or Port of Bellingham ruling.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Everett has the same rule about cleaning the bottom, which makes no sense as its going to wear come off in time anyway.*Now can*I help it when scraping the barnicale off that*the hull gets scraped/clean.* Darn old barnicles anyway.* (-;*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #6

John
My bottom job this spring*was $1200, about $33 a foot. What kind of pain is it?
troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

A couple of factors that can make it more difficult for the do-it-yourselfer are the increasing environmental regulations regarding cleaning and painting boats. In our area, and maybe everywhere, power-wash water has to be captured and cleaned, scrapings and paint drips have to be caught under the boat, and so on. Some yards make it more expensive to do your own work in terms of the haulout and storage costs.

As far as the process, the normal routine is to haul the boat, have it power-washed below the waterline, then the bottom is "prepped" which has various definitions. Usually this means a light sanding or scrubbing to remove whatever the power-washer left behind and smooth the surface, then taping, and then applicaton of the bottom paint, usually with a roller.

It's a good time to clean the shafts and props, too, which can take a few hours.

A routine bottom job is not rocket science but it can take a fair amount of time depending on how anal one is about surface prep, etc.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
troy994719 wrote:

John
My bottom job this spring*was $1200, about $33 a foot. What kind of pain is it?
Did you do*it yourself or did you have someone else do it?* They use whatever the top of the line Interlux is....I forgot the name.* A friend got quoted 36 a foot over at Clear Lake Marine(Simpson) for the standard stuff.* My boat does lose speed when it starts to foul.* If I was at displacement speeds I would have gone with the standard stuff.

It's pretty bad when you work for a company(or your SO does) and you have to go to another place to get a decent price.* This was totally my fault and I am hacked off about it.* We did Prairie Dog about a Year and a half ago at the same place for a whopping $880 bucks(I got a bottom job and the prop reconditoned for*under $1200) so I figured going in they would do me right so I didn't even ask until the boat was outta the water....real smart.* They prolly have a price for when you boat is still in the water and one for when your boat is already on blocks....
Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #9

I used Interlux Ultra with biocide, seems to be what most people reccomend in our area.
I took the boat to hillmans, paid for the haul, got my own paint and paid one of the locals cash for the labor. $375 for the power wash, sanding and painting.
The paint cost more than Ramones labor!!!!!
troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
KMA

City: Merritt Island

Our bottom job back in May ran $3,800 for a 64' vessel. This was using Petit "hard"... 2 coats on the bottom and 3 at the waterline. The 1st coat was red for all, followed by black. This way, if I "see red", I know it's time to do it again soon.

Oh, and the price also included Prop Speed on the Props and shafts.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Just curious what the yards are getting for bottomjobs in your area.* I got a serious case of sticker shock when I put my boat into the yard today.* I will get a discount(not a great one)*cuz I know some people but the retail price for a standard bottom job was $44 a foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!* And to upgrade to better paint(which I did) it was an extra $13 a foot!!!!!!!!* A total of $57 a foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* Is that just comletely totally INSANE!!!!

I give up.* I will be doing my own next time around.* That is just total waterway robbery.* I will be looking forward to getting my speed back as my bottom was pretty fouled.* I was missing almost 3 knots!!!...or a coupla gallpons per hour....whichever way you wanna look at it.
John, where was that quote? Seabrook Yacht Services or South Texas? Since they merged, they've jacked their prices astronomically. Check out Boat Bottoms Unlimited over on the North side of the lake. They are MUCH more reasonable. Seabrook did my last one, but next time, I may get quotes from that yard in Galveston or even down in Freeport. I use Petit Trinidad SR and get 3-4 years out of it.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
gns

Paid $1186.85 last year for a 30 footer. That included haul-out, pressure washing/prep, two coats of Petit Trinidad, and replacing all zincs. Works out to about $39.50 per foot.

Gary
gns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master

I just got out of the yard at Miller Marine here in our bayou and paid about $1300. Included was the haul and blocking and relaunch, several lay day costs at about $1.50/foot rate, three gallons of Petit Hydrocoat, two quarts of Trinidad SR, one gallon of Duraplate. I did all prep and painting.

I don't know exactly what they charge per foot these days when they do it, but I think it is about 10-20 bucks a foot more than my $31. However, that's not really telling the story because their cost includes some light prep work, which by my standard is simply not enough work to get the bottom AND running gear in the shape I want them to be in when the boat goes back in the water.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
Doc
Guru

Galveston Yacht Service at the Yacht Basin has changed regimes in the last couple of years. It's now run by a really nice (and competent) guy named Preston. See what their price is.

-- Edited by Doc at 06:11, 2007-11-17
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Our yard charged (Spring 2007)*$11/ft, with the 2nd coat at half that, plus materials.* For my boat, it worked out to about $800 for 2 coats of Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote ACT Ablative.

There was no hauling charge as the boat was already hauled for winter storage and this was done prior to launch; standard practice here.* I don't know what the hauling / power-wash / blocking / relaunch charges would be separately, as these are bundled into the winter storage costs.
jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #16

Jeff,

I was about to say something about that. Your winter charges are bundled into all of that. I bought my boat from Long Island, NY and was amazed at the relationship bewtween boat owners and their yards. It really is totally different.....a little more symbiotic if you will. I think, up there, they realize that they need you just as much as you need them. Down here, it is just like the rest of Corporate America. They wanna screw you for as much as they can...and they do. We don't haul for the winter so I guess they gotta make their money somewhere. Anyway, I was kinda envious of the way they treated the PO and his boat(soon to be mine) and how it was more of a relationship instead of a business(obvously it is and they still gotta make money).
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Oh, they make their money - .

Some yards here*offer*discounts (fuel, etc.) to regular customers, with*larger discounts given to winter+summer customers.* They also tend to give better/faster service to their regular customers.

Jeff
jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #18
Ken

I paid $2500 in Aug 2005, and had two coats of Trinidad SR applied on the bottom, and three coats at the waterline. Still looks good, and hoping to get at least another year out of it.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

If you use a sloughing paint (aka ablative paint), we've had great success with Petit Ultima SR over the past nine years. We use our boat year round, so the surface of the paint gets "sloughed off" fairly often which is what makes it work. For a boat that sits for long periods, I'm not sure a paint like this would be the best thing to use.

We are in the Pacific Northwest where bottom growth does not progress as rapidly as it does in more southern waters and climates.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #20

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler

Try freshwater (Great Lakes) boating. $100 for the paint (34' boat), $12 for the roller and tray, sand it off, blow the dust with a leaf blower...

Catch the runoff from power washing the boat? Not in the midwest!
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote