Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Butyl tape for windows?

The "nor'wester" that came through the upper Chesapeake yesterday (wind is worse today, but at least the rain has stopped) revealed leaks on a few of the main salon windows. I've used 4200, 5200, Sikaflex and other caulks for various projects on other boats over the years, but butyl tape has been fantastic for most bedding applications. I plan to rebed all of the deck hardware with butyl tape, but I'm less sure about using it for windows. Most of what I've found on line is from people who have tried it on windows, but no one with long-term experience.

Has anyone used butyl tape for windows for any length of time and how has it worked out?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
The "nor'wester" that came through the upper Chesapeake yesterday (wind is worse today, but at least the rain has stopped) revealed leaks on a few of the main salon windows. I've used 4200, 5200, Sikaflex and other caulks for various projects on other boats over the years, but butyl tape has been fantastic for most bedding applications. I plan to rebed all of the deck hardware with butyl tape, but I'm less sure about using it for windows. Most of what I've found on line is from people who have tried it on windows, but no one with long-term experience.

Has anyone used butyl tape for windows for any length of time and how has it worked out?
Used it on aluminum framed (RV style windows) that replace all 15 major windows on my boat and it has been good for 2 years. Only leaks were from where the cabin side was just so irregular I didn't have enough in there. Most of the time I folded it in half to get good squeeze out all around.

I have pulled a couple windows since and the cleanup and re-taping was easy.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Guru

Thanks, Scott. Not sure how my Defever windows are constructed, but am pretty sure the bedding will be directly on the glass. Glad to hear it's working for you.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Aluminum windows on aluminum walls, also a previous engine change access hatch in the roof. One year.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
All of my windows use butyl tape--I wouldn't use anything else. V-berth windows are just now showing leaks after 30+ years (they are being replaced and will sealed with butyl).
Old 11-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Not familiar with this. Anyone got a brand or a pic?
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Not familiar with this. Anyone got a brand or a pic?
You can get Bed-It Butyl tape at Compass Marine.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've used it on my deck stanchions and hardware with no issues at all…..love the stuff for SEALING. If you've got compression style perimeter mountings on your windows, have at it! I plan to do the same. I've got two year old balls of butyl tape I left on my deck in the sun and weather. The stuff still feels just as flexible and capable.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Anyone that has been around classic cars will be familiar with butyl sealant. The front and rear glass of my '71 AMC Hornet uses butyl and is still water tight after 40+ years (never been replaced). Urethane windshield adhesive has largely replaced butyl because it is much stronger but many classic car owners still use butyl. I have to replace the rear glass because of some rust and will use butyl. Butyl can be messy and sticky but cleans up with mineral spirits.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

My windows have had no issues. All sealed with butyl. 1984
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Butyl tape is all I use on my boat, RV, and anything else I need a reliable seal on. Great stuff.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Guru

Thanks, guys. I got an email back from Rod, at Compass Marine, who also says butyl is excellent for bedding windows--in addition to deck hardware. So, big project coming up!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Butyl works great when you are dealing with though bolted items where you can really compress it evenly. If you are dealing with screwed items make sure you are dealing with a good surface hole for the screws so that you can compress evenly. The only time I had an issue with it was in that case and I needed to redo the hole anyway. Works great for many other uses too.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #14
FF
Guru

Any RV dealer , or any box store like Home Cheapo or Lowes will have it at non marine pri$es.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We've resealed windows with butyl and have had great results. We also used to to reseal all the deck fittings on our old sailboat. It is the only above the waterline sealant we use for fittings that have mechanical fasteners. Our windows had internal aluminum frames that screw to the external frame that holds the glass (sandwiching the boat and sealant). We bought from RC at Compass and the stuff he carries is excellent. No comparison to the crap that we got at Home Depot before learning about compass.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #16

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Anyone have a link to a tutorial for using butyl ?
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
Anyone have a link to a tutorial for using butyl ?
EDIT: wrong link....see next post by angus99

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Guru

And:

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Not knowing the configuration of the OP's frames, I'll just chip in that Hatteras used and recommends butylfor bedding the inside of th glass, but a glazing specific caulk for the outside. I figure there is a reason for that, and I believe it is because it is easier to get the caulk into all the nooks and crannies on the outside, which involves various splines and shims and exterior frame. I redid all mine (after 30 years) with a old time ex Hatteras guy and he was pretty insistent as well.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Not knowing the configuration of the OP's frames, I'll just chip in that Hatteras used and recommends butylfor bedding the inside of th glass, but a glazing specific caulk for the outside. I figure there is a reason for that, and I believe it is because it is easier to get the caulk into all the nooks and crannies on the outside, which involves various splines and shims and exterior frame. I redid all mine (after 30 years) with a old time ex Hatteras guy and he was pretty insistent as well.
I would concur...butyl tape for bedding frames...but I would go with the best glazing compound (something 3M if I recall correctly) for glass
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote