Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I switched from grabbing 5200 by default to using a good quality Butyl tape. Thickness of the tape matters and I've seen different qualities of the stuff. I think Compass has the best tape going for most normal uses.

It's been over 3 years since I admitted that I was a 5200-aholic. Today, I almost never use 5200 any more.

https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2012-09-12.php

Karen and I were just talking about seeing if we can get a discount for ActiveCaptain readers for the marine quality tape from Compass. If so, it'll probably be next week. I have an idea I'd like to run by him that would help his sales with a big shot.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #22
FF
Guru

>Today, I almost never use 5200 any more. <

It still is great for stuff that will never, ever be taken apart. Never as bedding .

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I used 5200 on my sailboat to rebed stanchions, deck hardware and hatches. Tenacious stuff for sure, but not that hard to get off with a heat gun, a razor, some pressure and patience. I only removed a few pieces this way that were being replaced or installed in a different location, but I found 5200 to be excellent for bedding stanchions, genoa tracks and other components that took heavy loads.

That said, I didn't know about butyl tape or I'd have used it in a heartbeat. I've been blown away by the testimonials, demos of elasticity, sealing power and long life of this material. I have 2 rolls of the butyl Compass Marine sells and would love to see a discount (much as I believe CM deserves our support). It's not cheap, but quality often isn't. And, if I tallied up all the half-used 5200 tubes I've thrown away because of its short open shelf life, I could have bought a lot of butyl tape.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Good prices on BUTYL TAPE.Also,different sizes and lengths.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #25

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Angus,

I've used 3M 4000 or 4200 to seal deck hardware and such but will only use butyl now except for some special circumstances. Interestingly, butyl was used extensively years ago for sealing deck hardware but now there seems to be a return to it based on what I am reading on the Internet. What is old is new I guess.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Angus,

I've used 3M 4000 or 4200 to seal deck hardware and such but will only use butyl now except for some special circumstances. Interestingly, butyl was used extensively years ago for sealing deck hardware but now there seems to be a return to it based on what I am reading on the Internet. What is old is new I guess.

It was also used in mobile homes in the 60's through at least the mid 90's to seal windows,doors,and vents through the side walls.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Good prices on BUTYL TAPE.Also,different sizes and lengths.
But is it the same stuff?

The guy at Compass worked for Sabre from what I understand. He used Butyl tape there. I read somewhere that he tried others and none compared to the marine supplier that Sabre used. That's the stuff he sells. And first hand, it's fantastic.

Are there different grades, types, models other than by measurement?
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
But is it the same stuff?

The guy at Compass worked for Sabre from what I understand. He used Butyl tape there. I read somewhere that he tried others and none compared to the marine supplier that Sabre used. That's the stuff he sells. And first hand, it's fantastic.

Are there different grades, types, models other than by measurement?
Good question.This I have no answer.I would ass-u-me that different manufactures would have a little different composition.I've only dealt with the stuff from big box stores.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My first rolls were from compass marine...a great guy, an asset to boaters and I respect him a lot.

Subsequent rolls were from Home Depot (OK) and the last one I got in black to match my windows from the local camping supply/trailer place and it seemed identical to the compass marine tape. Both came packaged the same way, had the same texture,were the same size although you can get different sizes....

Yes I would say there's different quality tape...but most you can touch when purchasing and can tell if it feels right....but for ease and quality assurance...compass marine is a good source...

But I a pinch it can be had pretty easily....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #30
FF
Guru

>And, if I tallied up all the half-used 5200 tubes I've thrown away because of its short open shelf life,<

Sealing the open end air tight and leaving it in the fridge helps.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #31
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I think it is worthwhile supporting someone like Compass that provides such great free information on their site rather than trying to save a few bucks by buying from someplace that does nothing for you.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote