Old 04-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Butyl Tape

Should I store butyl tape in the refrigerator or just in the shop.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. k. I don't think there is any advantage to storing butyl tape in the refrigerator BUT I would suggest putting it in a zip-lock bag to store. It's very sticky stuff and might pick up any stray dust or dirt drifting around your shop.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I store my butyl tape in a ziplock bag at room temp. It's been fine for probably 4-5 years...maybe longer. Mine is the stuff sold by Compass Marine and I think it's better quality than most brands. Others may not store as well.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I like the idea of the zip-loc bag. Great suggestion!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I just keep mine in the box it came in.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #6

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I've stored butyl tape in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator, in the wine cooler, and at room temperature; no method of which ever made it good or preserved it. I've used a LOT of concoctions of butyl tape... a LOT....and I can tell you hands down that no one, I mean NO ONE, matches the right recipe for butyl tape as this guy... ***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com.

I've bought and used a lot of butyl tape, and no one's butyl tape is made like, or sticks like, or is waterproof like, that guy's. I've got no financial interest in his tape, but I am now going back and replacing all the crap butyl tape I used no less than 3 years ago that is already leaking. His stuff is like chewing gum... the same kind of stuff Hatteras used almost 40 years ago and is still "sticky". Be damn sure when you apply it that that is where you want it because where it makes contact, it sticks. Like contact cement. I had two windows that leaked for 11 years, despite my efforts to solve it. That particular recipe for butyl tape cured it once and for all.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #7
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
I have not used much in the past but the tape made by Compass Marine is of the highest quality I have seen !!!

Should you trim off the extra tape that comes out from under your project when bolted down?
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes, trim off the excess after tightening. It usually takes several iterations of tightening to finally get the fitting down tight. I usually tighten it once a day for three days then trim the excess.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #9

City: Karachi
yes you can keep it refrigerated and use when you need it
bashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
FF
Guru

"Yes, trim off the excess after tightening. It usually takes several iterations of tightening to finally get the fitting down tight. I usually tighten it once a day for three days then trim the excess."

I can see doing this under a high load item , crane or windlass base , but goop is the seal between the parts , what purpose does squeezing most it out under a hatch serve?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Yes, trim off the excess after tightening. It usually takes several iterations of tightening to finally get the fitting down tight. I usually tighten it once a day for three days then trim the excess."

I can see doing this under a high load item , crane or windlass base , but goop is the seal between the parts , what purpose does squeezing most it out under a hatch serve?

In general you want any fitting to be tightened to the point that you get very little movement. The butyl tape doesn't need to be thick to do its job, it just needs to fill all the voids. The tape is thicker than the interface between the parts, so that is why it ooses out.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In general you want any fitting to be tightened to the point that you get very little movement. The butyl tape doesn't need to be thick to do its job, it just needs to fill all the voids. The tape is thicker than the interface between the parts, so that is why it ooses out.
Agree...
Thats what happens w less viscous sealants. If you feel more comfortable with thicker put a washer under the fitting to leave a min thkness of sealant.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #13
FF
Guru

"In general you want any fitting to be tightened to the point that you get very little movement."

ANY" little" movement is going to test the seals stickability and flexability , not crushing it out would seem to make more sense as very "little" movement might exceed the goops ability to stretch and maintain a seal.

Different ships , different long splices, I guess.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote