Old 03-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I used oxalic acid when my boat was on the hard. I sprayed it down with a pump sprayer, then just spread it around lightly with a boat brush. No scrubbing needed, I just wanted to ensure good coverage before it dripped off. Then after 5 minutes, I sprayed it down with a freshwater hose. It came out clean and white! I sprayed Turtle Ice wax on it, wiped it lightly and all is well. It works just as well from the dock.

It does a great job with minimal effort and low cost. It was exactly what this cheap and lazy SOB was looking for.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #82

We have used several of the recommended products but now stick to lemon juice. The acid in lemon juice won't hurt you if you get it in / on you.
Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #83
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Any particular brand/source of lemon juice?

My gel was pretty well oxidized the first couple years I had the boat and lemon juice took so long to do anything...I gave up and went with something stronger.

Never did just spray it on and walk away for say, overnight...so I may try lemon juice again but would like to know if there is a source of undiluted juice. The ReaLemon juice from the store says 100% juice but didn't seem all that strong.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #84
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. Now, bear with me here. Chem 101 was many lifetimes ago and I'm just guessing...

I suspect the "active" ingredient in lemon juice that effects the cleaning of the "mustache" (tannin) is citric acid. It's available, in powder form, at grocery stores and health food stores, albeit in small amounts and probably for an inflated price BUT it might be worth the purchase of a small amount to confirm my suspicion. IF it does work, you can probably get a better deal on line.

Being a powder, you can easily control the concentration to achieve the desired results.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ps. Now, bear with me here. Chem 101 was many lifetimes ago and I'm just guessing...

I suspect the "active" ingredient in lemon juice that effects the cleaning of the "mustache" (tannin) is citric acid. It's available, in powder form, at grocery stores and health food stores, albeit in small amounts and probably for an inflated price BUT it might be worth the purchase of a small amount to confirm my suspicion. IF it does work, you can probably get a better deal on line.

Being a powder, you can easily control the concentration to achieve the desired results.

Thanks...with all the work I have to do on my boat....time spent cleaning something I purposefully put back on every year doesn't make a lot of sense so I'll try anything short of gel coat stripper...
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #86
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Just go to the Dollar store and by an acid based toilet bowl cleaner. I don't think you can find anything cheaper to use or easier to find.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Citric avid powder is available in larger quantities in big box stores - it's used as a concrete etcher prior to paint / epoxy coating. I've used it for concrete but not "mustache"

Barkeepers Friend -powder on horizontal (swim platform) or liquid on vertical (mustache) - works as quick as you can spread it around
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #88
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Barkeepers Friend is slightly abrasive. I would not use it on gelcoat.
Abrasives will not remove the brown tannic acid stain but mild acids will. The simplest thing to do is use a commercial "hull cleaner" from the marine store (or Walmart).
Rubbing compound is "slightly abrasive". Barkeeper's Friend works very well in this application. As with any acid treatment like this, it would be wise to compound and wax it afterward to get any residue off and to seal and protect the gelcoat.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #89
FF
Guru

In Many marinas so few boats ever move ,

you might consider leaving it in place as a Badge of Honor.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #90
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
In Many marinas so few boats ever move ,

you might consider leaving it in place as a Badge of Honor.
Now that is pretty damn funny!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #91
Guru

What!!!?? And have the dock yacht police complain to the manager about my boat being unsightly and a future derelict?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #92

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
The people selling special products have to be careful that their product doesn't screw up a boats finish and preforms under allot of different conditions giving the customer the best bang for his dollar

The Brown mustache boat soap product we make ---contains
3 acids so you can use it to clean the hull, teak deck
and neutralizes salt (like Salt A) great for windows and chrome
A wetting agent so it spreads easily and leaves no streaking
A surfactant that is a substitute for solvent that cuts the black soot
A fungicide to control mold on teak
A defoamer so the run off when you rinse it with water doesn't leave a foaming mess around your boat

Contrary to what most people think the stuff on the market is not a simple mix. Toilet bowl cleaner is phosphoric acid and rendered fats "that's simple" and for your toilet. So if you wreck your finish don't expect any warranty.
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #93
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have used the expensive stuff from a chandlery, and toilet bowl cleaner. Other than the huge difference in price, I see no difference in performance. In 20 yrs use I haven't detected any further deterioration of my gelcoat, so am not going to change from TBC just yet.
One day I am going to have the time to compound and wax after cleaning the hull, so will then get to see if the stain stays away for any appreciable time. I know a fellow who had a terrible time with the stain on his bows, until he got an Awlgrip paint job. No stain since, suggesting that the stain likes older gelcoat, where it can get a grip.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #94
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
One day I am going to have the time to compound and wax after cleaning the hull, so will then get to see if the stain stays away for any appreciable time. I know a fellow who had a terrible time with the stain on his bows, until he got an Awlgrip paint job. No stain since, suggesting that the stain likes older gelcoat, where it can get a grip.
My understanding, such as it is, is that gelcoat is porous and oxidation makes it more so. The compound and waxing helps with that keeping the stains at bay.

I am going to pay to have my new/old boat compounded and waxed next week. Likely this will be the first time in its 6 year life. After that is done, I may consider taking on the task myself. However, being the lazy SOB that I am, you never know.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #95
Guru

I am not the guy with the right answer.... so hopefully some will help.

Wax seems to be an issue with soot from exhausts and the brown mustache.

I have heard that polish works better but can't recommend anything.

Hold the wax till you hear the tales.....
Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I am not the guy with the right answer.... so hopefully some will help.

Wax seems to be an issue with soot from exhausts and the brown mustache.

I have heard that polish works better but can't recommend anything.

Hold the wax till you hear the tales.....
Soot and tannin stains love fresh wax.

If you use Zaino, Rejex or some other polymer Sealand the stains not only don't build up as fast they wash off much, much easier in my experience.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #97
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I don't actually have problems with the brown mustache. However one advantage of having an off white boat is it is less noticeable.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #98
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
We have it on the west coast too, all over the place. I cleaned it off my boat when hauled with Starbrite Rust Remover, a guy loaned me his bottle. I read here that tannin is the primary suspect, but what is tannin and how and why is it in the water and why does it cause the stache? Enlighten me please. I was once told it was caused by cedar logs in the water!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #99
Guru

The way I understand it is that tannin is released by organic matter in the water. It's the same stuff that gives your cup of tea it's "tea" color I believe.

It gives you the mustache effect because it sticks to gelcoat. I assume it sticks to gelcoat so well and not so well to two part poly paint becsuse the gelcoat surface is more porous than the paint surface.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #100
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
If "On and Off" or toilet bowl cleaners or other acid product remove the stain, it's not tannins but something else. "Tannic acids" are neutralized and removed by basic products. Stains in stainless coffee carafes and teapots are typically removed by TSP or caustic soda. I suspect the brown stains on boats are iron oxides and are therefore most easily removed by oxalic or nitric acid.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote