Bronze Port Gaskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
We've got four lovely old-fashioned bronze ports with unlovely rubber gaskets and stainless steel screen inserts.

Looks like it's possible to knock the hinge pins out and work on the sash, glass and gasket in the comfort of the salon. True? Or do the pins resist removal?

These ports never had chains and hooks to hold 'em open. I made Teak props.

Attachments

• IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2605.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 71
We were able to remove 17 out of 18 pins (9 port lights). I found a 1/4 x 1.5" SS bolt worked best. A center punch didn't work and actually made it harder as it expanded the end I was trying to drive out. If the pin didn't move initially, I would go to the other end.

When you get the pins out if there is enough meat on the hinge ear that stands out they can be filed to have a slot , instead of a hole.

The end in the cabin is then drilled and tapped and the unit can now be adjusted to seal better after the rubber sets.

The Euros have port hooks that are machined and do not rattle when not in use.

The search function here will find the proper rubber (hollow center) to seal a port properly.

We've got four lovely old-fashioned bronze ports with unlovely rubber gaskets and stainless steel screen inserts.

Looks like it's possible to knock the hinge pins out and work on the sash, glass and gasket in the comfort of the salon. True? Or do the pins resist removal?

These ports never had chains and hooks to hold 'em open. I made Teak props.

Those ports appear to be like the bronze Rostand ports we had on an old Able sailboat. If they are, then that hinge is actually a threaded piece and not a pin.
You should be able to feel the difference when you hit it with a punch...
I had to cut slots in mine and use a screwdriver to get them apart. Just be careful!
Bruce

Mine have bronze bolts with nuts....but who knows what the PO might have done....:eek:

But taking them off and working them on a table is a whole lot better....:thumb:

Thanks for all your replies!

Somehow, priorities keep bubbling up. And change order when the weather intervenes.

Somehow, priorities keep bubbling up. And change order when the weather intervenes.

First priority is usually a dry bunk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom