Is bronze the new gold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Am replacing a couple of in line ball valve/thru hull conglobulations for proper bronze seacocks mounted on proper backing blocks. Went to get 6 bronze 1/4 " X 1" bronze lag screws. Price: $7 per screw!!! Checked galvanic table. 316 ss lag screws (of same size) are closely compatible with bronze and are "only" about $1 each. Went with the ss. Any reason I should not?

dwhatty wrote:Went with the ss. Any reason I should not?

If they get wet and stay wet they will fail pretty quickly.

Monel is the new gold .At least as far as production boat assemblers .

RickB wrote:

dwhatty wrote:Went with the ss. Any reason I should not?

If they get wet and stay wet they will fail pretty quickly

They won't go through the hull, just into the backing blocks to prevent the seacocks from rotating. The bilge where the seacocks are is dry.

If it is not protected the stainless will fail over time. Make sure it is 316 grade not the 304 or the 400 series. Inconel is self protecting as well as monel.* Dont know if these are any less expensive.* Used quite a bit in the oil industry

dwhatty wrote:They won't go through the hull, just into the backing blocks to prevent the seacocks from rotating. The bilge where the seacocks are is dry.
If I knew they would be dry and not soaked I wouldn't have any problem using SS lag bolts in my boat. Pull a different one every year and see what it looks like.

Like Baypoint mentioned, make sure you*specify and receive*316.

How 'bout 1" x 14 silicon bronze wood screws available from boltdepot.com for about $1 each. Not quite 1/4" but real close.

I gave up. Gritting my parsimoneous Yankee teeth, I just ordered bronze lags from an eBay seller. Best price I could find, but they were still $5.73 apiece plus $5 shipping.

Good decision. I had a SS eye bolt fail after 3 years. It was the connection for the bitter end in the chain locker therefore often wet.

Sunchaser:

Now you will have us all sticking our heads in that uncomfortable space to check on our SS eye bolts. Mine is now 30 yrs old. I think I last put a strain on it about 10 yrs ago. Time to whack it with a hammer and see what kind of sound it makes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom