Old 10-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

City: Hilton Head Island
Bottom Paint Question

So took the boat out Thursday for annual maintenance, will pull drive, new zincs, filters, etc, etc. Thoughts on the bottom paint: Boat sits in salt water 24-7-365. Gets bottom cleaned by divers each month. Boat was new in May, 2017 with new bottom paint. From these pics, is it time for new paint? If so, what is best for a planing boat that sits in salt. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Pic 2.jpg   Boat Pic 3.jpg   Boat Pic 4.jpg  
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Is the paint gone where it looks whiteish? If so you are ready for a paint job. I would use and ablative paint. It will wear away as it ages so when it is time for new paint you don’t have to sand off the old paint, just put on the new paint. I hope you had a barrier coat applied before the bottom paint was originally put on.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

Yes the lighter areas is where paint is gone, but it is not gel coat white but an off white color. Wondering if that is barrier coat? What effect would barrier coat or lack of it have on the repaint?
Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The barrier coat doesn’t really effect the bottom paint but it will help stop the bottom from blistering. You don’t want blisters! Did you buy the boat new? If so I would ask whoever put on the bottom paint and see if they did a barrier coat. If not then before you do more bottom paint is the time to do it. The off color white paint may be a barrier coat but I would check to make sure.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Interlux makes a really good barrier coat, Interprotect 2000. You can look on their website and do more research.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #6

Comodave, thank you will check on that tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #7

Yes bought it new. The Sea Ray hull warranty papers I have state that blisters are covered provided a proper barrier coat was applied. I will check with dealer tomorrow. Buying this boat was so much "fun" I can't wait to hear what the dealer tells me��.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well, a responsible dealer would do a proper barrier coat, blistering isn’t an unknown phenomenon. Barrier coats have pretty much been standard for many many years. I would almost assume that they did one, but I would check.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
With the monthly bottom scrubbing, it appears bottom painting AT LEAST is necessary for you. Don't think that's needed for most boaters.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Why are you asking here? Ask your diver.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

Asking here because I don't know the answer. I've had similar boat on Lake Erie for years and never painted it. I heard this type of paint wears off but not sure when its lost the protection. Waters are so murky where I now dock in SC that you can't see much underwater so a divers opinion would likely be an estimate. I may have a combination of ablative paint bring washed too often because I can't get down to use it. That'll change come January 1st. Hello retirement 😄
Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
Waters are so murky where I now dock in SC that you can't see much underwater so a divers opinion would likely be an estimate.
Your hull cleaner is the expert and regularly sees your anti fouling paint working (or not) in real-world conditions. Why you would discount his opinion and take advice from people who have never cleaned a boat bottom in their lives is beyond me. But hey, it's your dime.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

I totally agree, the diver is the expert and I am not discounting his/her expertise. What I am questioning (or discounting if you will) is whether they can see it clearly enough to give an expert opinion on what needs to be done - I am not sure he/she can given our murky waters, so why I turned to this forum ot see what others offered up. If the Marina where it is at now backs up the diver's opinion, well I will have learned something - and wifey and I have lots to learn on boats - heck I didn't even know what a barrier coat was until Comodave shared that with me in this string. I am not embarrassed by what I don't know, since it is a lot!! I will post what the marina tells me soon. Thanks all.!!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That is what the forum is for. Ask questions and someone out there usually has some answers. Everyone has to start learning and we can put our knowledge together and help everyone. Don’t hesitate to ask, we love to help and we also learn during the process.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Mark, Seeing the pics, much of the existing paint seems to have gone. If you want it antifouled you need more paint. To non expert me,the question is more whether you use ablative or hard paint type. If you need to continue scrubbing monthly, hard might be better,but this is the kind of knowledge the locals in your specific area, like your marina, will know best. Asking them, as you are, is a very good move.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #16

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Dave's comments regarding a barrier cost are spot on! Hope you find it was done. And don't forget your out drive, bonding and cathodic protection. Easy to fix, expensive if not cared for.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
So took the boat out Thursday for annual maintenance, will pull drive, new zincs, filters, etc, etc. Thoughts on the bottom paint: Boat sits in salt water 24-7-365. Gets bottom cleaned by divers each month. Boat was new in May, 2017 with new bottom paint. From these pics, is it time for new paint? If so, what is best for a planing boat that sits in salt. Thanks
I've seen some of the most pathetic jobs of bottom painting provided by new boat dealers. Looks to me like you got a Marine Max special. They're not the only ones doing that. I saw one boat sold on the Chesapeake, came to FL and in less than six months no bottom paint. Dealer made all sorts of excuses but finally gave in and repainted it, right this time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #18
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
So, here's another question. When the ablative paint has become thin, opinions please on whether to apply one coat or two coats of paint. We boat on the east coast, primarily on the Chesapeake.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've seen some of the most pathetic jobs of bottom painting provided by new boat dealers. Looks to me like you got a Marine Max special. They're not the only ones doing that. I saw one boat sold on the Chesapeake, came to FL and in less than six months no bottom paint. Dealer made all sorts of excuses but finally gave in and repainted it, right this time.
Maybe a tad harsh. It`s been diver scrubbed approx. 28 times since application, as well as being in the water and getting used. If it`s ablative,I doubt it should be much better than it appears.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

If it was me doing the bottom paint, I would go ahead and do 2 coats while I was at it and had everything setup to do the job. It won’t hurt to do 2 coats it will just last twice as long.