Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
RE: Bottom Paint

"There is not a good paint for the running gear."

I'll agree with that! A few weeks ago I cleaned all the running gear down to bare metal, put on the Petit Underwater 2-part primer then a couple of coats of bottom paint. When the boat was hauled for hurricane Irene (with only about 25 hours run time) it was very disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0123.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	7430   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	7431   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	7432  

dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

It's hard to beat Propspeed for the prop, and in the past I have had good results with a good 2-3 yrs between re-applications of Micron 66 (International/Interlux), on rudder and hull, but this last time I went with Micron Extra to see if there was any difference - not so far one yr down the track.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #23
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

I've had great luck with Petit products, Hydrocoat and Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier.

I slap on a quick coat of Hydrocoat each Spring, although it doesn't seem to really need it.* But I do a really good prep on the running gear before I spray on the Zinc.* I use an angle grinder with a wire wheel to get down to bare metal, wash with the Petit solvent and spray on a couple coats.

Never more than a little slime and a half dozen barnacles at the Fall haul out.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #24

Hello Trawler Forums,
I am the US distributor for COPPERCOAT anti-fouling. If any one has any questions I would be happy to answer them. Our website is www.coppercoatusa.com
edboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Micron Ultra Bio......in my 4th year!!!! I did a quick haul in March and when I told the Yard guy what I used....he smirked and highly recommended I use the same stuff the next time around. I expect another season out of it. It is a hard paint and I use my boat a LOT!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Larry M wrote:
Petit Trinidad SR

I have a diver who cleans the bottom "as necessary".* That's every other month in winter and as often as every three weeks in the summer.* He recommended Petit Trinidad SR so that's what I used.

I don't see the bottom unless the boat is hauled so I can't say how it's doing.* From the little I can see of the sides, it seems to be working well and holding up.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The Eagle is presently in the hard after 3 years.* The Petit Trinidad SR help up extremely well on the hull.* About dozen small places that keel the barnacles grew, which I think is where the blocks where.* However the prop and cutless housing was covered with barnacles which was painted with Trinidad.** So Trinidad will be applied to the hull again, but not sure yet what for the prop?* I am having three thru hulls taken out and filled in, had the dripless taken apart and inspected, and had the bow thruster taken apart and inspected. Only a dozen or so less than quarter size blisters which where just bottom paint.* I am having the hull sanded as the bottom paint is getting to thick in places which may have caused the blisters.* *Hope to get back in the water mid next week as we been having rain which has put us behind.*
There are three hot spots where the Trinidad which is high in copper was burned/worn off to the bear fiberglass around the gen set thru hull and the rudder post which indicates they are not bonded to the boat.* The bronze in the thru hull and the copper have a reaction which caused the Trinidad to wear and the port main zinc is not wearing as fast so the starboard, so when back in the slip will have to fix/repair the protective wiring. *This is the first year we have had that problem.* **
Next time we pull will have 3 more thru hulls removed and 2 thru hulls move up which are above the waster line, so the hull will have to be repainted.* Its been 9 years since the hull been painted which is holding up well but needs refreshing.* Each year I apply Turtle Wax 21 protections to the hull which protects and shines.* When I decide about the prop painted I will let you know as I will talk to the yards guys as to what they recommend.
The marina yard has been nice enough to let us stay on the boat and park the RV, which they normally do not allow.* However, we are a full time live aboard, and most know the boat and I can whine and throw a tizzy fit with the best of them.
Estimated cost
Pull, pressure wash, blocking and wait time - $800.00 to $1,000.00*
Trinidad paint and misc - $800.00 to $1,000.00
Sand and fill in thru hulls - $1,000 to $1,500.00
Misc - $500.00
Could have just pulled and slapped some bottom paint on, but I will sleep better for the next 3 years.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We put the boat back in the water this morning, I had some extra things done.* I decided to take the forward bow thruster tube out.*Being this is the first time we have been in salt water there was more growth than expected so had the bottom sanded down and a thick coat of Trinidad applied.
Estimated cost was;*
Pull, pressure wash, blocking and wait time - $800.00 to $1,000.00*
Trinidad paint and misc - $800.00 to $1,000.00
Sand and fill in thru hulls - $1,000 to $1,500.00
Misc - $500.00
Total Max $4,000.00
Actual cost
Pull Pressure Wash, block and wait, 10 days *- $1,000.00
Trinidad Paint and Misc - $900.00
Sand/fill in Thu hulls - $1,100.00
Zincs - $250.00
Misc $150
Extras not in estimate.*
Sand bottom and help apply paint - $600.00
Labor to remove forward Bow thruster tube -* $375.00
Sand/fill in bow thruster - $550.00
Total Actual - $4,925.00
The boat is a mess and will take a couple of*days to clean/wash and*put things away.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

Hey Phil /Fill
Noticed the other day your boat was facing a different direction. Time to change the view?
Max Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Micron Ultra Bio......in my 4th year!!!! I did a quick haul in March and when I told the Yard guy what I used....he smirked and highly recommended I use the same stuff the next time around. I expect another season out of it. It is a hard paint and I use my boat a LOT!!!!
*Hope I get 4 years out of my Ultra.

Do you clean the bottom every month?
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
timjet wrote:Baker wrote:
*Hope I get 4 years out of my Ultra.

Do you clean the bottom every month?

*Nope. *Don't touch it. *I think the fact that I use my boat regularly and I go faster than most trawlers helps. *I know this is not an ablative paint but I still don't think scrubbing the boat every month is helpful to the longevity of the paint. *I would imagine it is helpful to the longevity of the diver's bank account. *I do swim a lot so when I am in the water next to the boat, I will do a tactile inspection to see if there is any barnacle growth. *I am in the Galveston Bay area. *I would say a fairly active fouling area although not as bad as Florida. *We get just enough freshwater runoff to maybe stunt some growth.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #32

City: Onancock Creek,VA
Vessel Name: Tracinda's Treasure
Vessel Model: Pearson 43 Motor Yacht

I have had good luck with Micron Extra. This is my third full season in the water and I'm just starting to get a few barnacles on the hull. When I was redoing the the hull I had it peeled to the original gel coat. After applying an epoxy barrier coat I put on one coat of light blue and two coats of dark blue. Hauled the boat after two seasons and there were no barnacles on the hull. And I did not see any light blue paint. Shafts and wheels were a mess. We applied two more coats of dark blue and used the Pettit zinc product on the shafts and wheels.
It's been three summers now and I have dived on the bottom twice this season. Just starting to get barnacles on the hull. The shafts and wheels need cleaning any time the boat sits more than three weeks when the water is warm. I am starting to see some light blue showing through now.
Can't decide if I should haul out now or wait until spring. I wonder if I haul now it I will still be able to get three seasons.
Marsh Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

DVD,

I know this is offered too late, your boat will be back in the water, but the third photo shows the prop as a bit pink.

It may just have been the photo altering the colour but if the prop was pinkish that is a sign the prop is in trouble from electrolysis.

Did you thoroughly check the zincs, bonding and continuity of the system.* I can't see if you have a collar zinc on the shaft just ahead of the prop. If not then a shaft brush?* You appear to have lots of transon zinc but the question is , is the prop protected?

I may be raising an*unnecessary red flag here but if not then you may need a new prop if not caught* early.

Hopefully all is well.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote