Bottom jobs in your area....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One common fix for the non liveaboard seldom used boat is a pool.

The pool inflates to seal the water under & beside the boat from the rest of the world.

A gallon of Chlorox every tine the boat returns , and no growth , ever.

In our area(as an average):

$10/ft haul, pressure wash, block, launch
$15/ft two coats of paint on the bottom.
4 gallons of whatever good paint you want, retail price, ususally around $800-$900 for good stuff( lets say $22/ft)
4 hours prepping, priming, painting running gear $75/hr, 4 hours, $300(divided by 42 equals $7/ft ) assuming a twin screw vessel with exposed shafts on this, not my single srew full keel)
Add on another $250 for running gear paint, suits, tape, brushes, miscelaneous storage* and environmental feesm just shy of $6/ft.

My math looks like about $60/ft for a 42' boat with twin screws and exposed shafts (lets say we prime and put Tri-lux on them), two coats of higher end retail paint, and the yard doing all of the work...forgot to include time and materials to replace the zincs in that number...and of course the other things that will be found such as worn cutlass bearings, dinged props, mis-alingments, blisters, failing thru-hulls, sea cocks that need servicing, broken clamshells..........am I forgetting anything?* :)

I know it can be done cheaper but I think the things below the waterline are important and should be painted properly!

-- Edited by JMYSS on Friday 3rd of September 2010 08:26:34 PM

IIRC --- We did it ourselves in Oriental for less that $800 :) $350-ish of that was the yard fees to haul, block, and wash. The rest was paint and materials.

Same here in Craig Alaska except you get to do the wash yourself.

Wat's IIRC mean?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 9th of September 2010 09:30:31 AM

If
I
Recall
Correctly

biggrin.gif

I paid about $1200 for everything at my marina.* The marina didn't do it, the manager did it on his own time.* Part of the cost was for marina services, the rest for labor and materials.* I had them use the paint my diver recommended.* It was expensive paint.

FF wrote:

One common fix for the non liveaboard seldom used boat is a pool.

The pool inflates to seal the water under & beside the boat from the rest of the world.

A gallon of Chlorox every time the boat returns , and no growth , ever.
We have one small power boat (25') in our marina that uses this method. *Looks rather time consuming putting it on and taking it off each time the boat goes out, but I guess it saves a lot of scraping. I'm hoping the owner of the boat doesn't use much bleach, as I saw two river otters jump into the 'pool' the other day. *I was hoping to see them jump out, but didn't. Hopefully the little critters can tell bad water when they taste it!

Here in Brookings the yard will pull your boat and provide a steam cleaner, but you do all the washing, scraping, painting and so on. I just had my 34 footer taken out a couple weeks ago; pulled out on a Friday and splashed in the next Tuesday, and the yard bill was just under $300. Two hundred of that was the minimum haul out cost.*Best deal on the Oregon coast, if you like to do your own work.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

Attachments

• haulout in 2010 (19).jpg
    haulout in 2010 (19).jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 54
  • haulout in 2010 (53).jpg
    haulout in 2010 (53).jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 64
Looks rather time consuming putting it on and taking it off each time the boat goes out,

The ones I have seen were left in the slip , with rear opening open , and the vessel returning simply had to pull the entrance and dump in some chlorene.

Pool pills seemed the simplest to toss in.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

I don't really ever see us doing bottom paint.* My husband and I have installed bilge pumps, electronics, lights, all kinds of stuff,*but painting is not our forte.* I would like to get it done for less than $75/foot next time though!
Painting a bottom is not rocket science.* Besides you, very few people will ever even see your handywork.* Simply scuffing the bottom, scraping off any loose paint, and wiping it down prior to slopping on some paint doesn't take very long, and the cost is only for paint and misc supplys.* It's hard to make a mistake, unlike installing pumps or electronics.* Spend a day or two, and save big, and putting on a coat of bottom paint on the props is far cheaper than Propspeed, but won't last as long.* Still, it really helps...............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

I don't really ever see us doing bottom paint.* My husband and I have installed bilge pumps, electronics, lights, all kinds of stuff,*but painting is not our forte.* I would like to get it done for less than $75/foot next time though!
Painting a bottom is not rocket science.* Besides you, very few people will ever even see your handywork.* Simply scuffing the bottom, scraping off any loose paint, and wiping it down prior to slopping on some paint doesn't take very long, and the cost is only for paint and misc supplys.* It's hard to make a mistake, unlike installing pumps or electronics.* Spend a day or two, and save big, and putting on a coat of bottom paint on the props is far cheaper than Propspeed, but won't last as long.* Still, it really helps...............Arctic Traveller
LOL I think it is more lack of patience with dealing with sanding, paint and ladders then being worried how it will look.* Some things we enjoy or at least go quickly enough that we can handle the aggravation... though if the amount we paid for this bottom is going to be the cost every two years we may consider giving it a shot...* I'll let you know in 2012!

Back
Top Bottom