Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
RE: Bottom jobs in your area....

I can't resist resurrecting this old post after getting the quote for a new bottom on my new boat.* Only $30/ a foot!* Oh Great, you say!* But wait, there's more... $720 to sand and prep... $855 for paint...* it works out to over $75 a foot!!* Zincs and cleaning the barnacles off the shafts and prop are extra.

The current bottom pretty much looks like crap.* This yard has been doing the bottom on this boat for 18 years so I asked him about it.* I was trying to be nice about it so I said "the bottom looks a little rough" and he told me that it really needs to be scraped down to the gel coat and started over.* I still haven't down loaded the photos but I will post some--you can see where the surface under the current layer of paint was not smoothed out very well and there are places where salad plate size areas of the current paint have chipped off.* this bottom was put on in March of 2009.

My questions for you experienced trawler owners, is it normal for trawler bottoms to be rougher than I am used to coming from the sailing side?* Do I just need to reset my expectations?* I read the post on blasting off all the paint*down to the gel coat and got the impression*most of you would consider that overkill, considering I have no blisters.**But maybe after 26 years it would not*be a bad idea?* I*am not going to have it done right now,*maybe the next bottom job...
thanks everyone!

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

How much racing are you plannig to do? If a lot, then you will need to go down to the gelcoat and keep things smooth. Otherwise, you will only need to be sure you have good adhesion over all of the bottom. A little roughness is only cosmetic. You should be able to do the bottom on your boat, by yourself, without help, in about 4 hours, including power washing, scraping rough patches and barnacles, replacing zincs and putting on the paint. Shouldn't add up to more than $10 per foot, unless your own labour is really expensive.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Bottom jobs in your area....

Yard rate in our marina for haulout, powerwash, and basic bottom paint is $18 a foot. If you use a better (aka more expensive) bottom paint then the boat owner has to pay the difference. Also if you want more than one coat you have to pay the difference. We generally put on one coat overall with a second coat on the forefoot, along the waterline, and on the rudders.

Our bottom is pretty rough for a variety of reasons. We do a cursory sanding on the worst areas and then roll on the paint. With an 8 knot boat, the difference between a racing-slick bottom and a "roughish" bottom isn't enough to worry about or spend the money fixing unless one is truly anal about this sort of thing. We're not.

If the boat has 26 years of paint buildup on it, that could be getting a little thick. But unless this is demonstrably hurting the performance of the boat or the adhesion of new paint*it's probably not worth taking off. This is one reason we*use an ablative paint--- it takes itself off.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 30th of August 2010 09:52:07 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
TF Site Team

I don't really ever see us doing bottom paint.* My husband and I have installed bilge pumps, electronics, lights, all kinds of stuff,*but painting is not our forte.* I would like to get it done for less than $75/foot next time though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pg ii haul out 011.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	2577   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg ii haul out 017.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	2578   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg ii haul out 009.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	2579   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg ii haul out 040.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2580  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:My questions for you experienced trawler owners, is it normal for trawler bottoms to be rougher than I am used to coming from the sailing side?* Do I just need to reset my expectations?* I read the post on blasting off all the paint*down to the gel coat and got the impression*most of you would consider that overkill, considering I have no blisters.**But maybe after 26 years it would not*be a bad idea?* I*am not going to have it done right now,*maybe the next bottom job..
PG, coming also from the sailing world I also was concerned that the rough bottom on our trawler was not just a embarrassment when the boat was hauled ... but surely was costing* me in efficiency and speed.... well it took me 7 years but last August we removed the 40 years of modified epoxy bottom paint that over the years was coming off in pieces from quarter size to plate size... $ 15,000 worth of work later she still goes exactly the same speed and uses the same fuel.... I thought I might get a 5% improvement... nada!, zip, zilch! ..... but it looks as smooth as a babies behind. I used Hydrocote and to this point I am not impressed with it's slime properties. I plan to spend some time this weekend getting up close and personal with the bottom prior to heading down the Columbia River to get back to Puget Sound. Believe me a little texture on a trawler doesn't matter a bit.
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #26
TF Site Team

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:$ 15,000 worth of work later she still goes exactly the same speed and uses the same fuel.... I thought I might get a 5% improvement... nada!, zip, zilch! ..... but it looks as smooth as a babies behind.
*thanks for the reality check Hollywood!*
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Note that we boaters are not the only ones with bottom job concerns..... So as you contemplate the best course of action for your hull remember you're not alone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	humpback.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	2581  
Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #28
FF
Guru

The difference in most anything , fuel burn , speed, range will not be noticable from a smoother bottom.

BUT the prop is a different story , it needs to be clean and not even slightly damaged for the best results.

Scrubbing to keep barnaciles off or prop speed IS worthwhile.

The old master Herrishoff , thought you should look at the prop with your minds eye and blow it up to the size of the boat.

The damaging effects of even minor imperfections would then show their real effect.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:BUT the prop is a different story , it needs to be clean and not even slightly damaged for the best results.

Scrubbing to keep barnaciles off or prop speed IS worthwhile.
Don't know about the PropSpeed-- I've read posts that say it's an expensive waste of time and posts that say it works as advertised.* But FF is right about what happens when a prop gets even a small amount of fouling.*

For a variety of reasons, this year has been a "bad" one for barnacle growth in our marina.* The local dive company has been kept very busy taking barnacles off props.* in our case we experienced no problems all winter.* But a couple of months ago when we took the boat out after almost a month of no usage, we had a vibration in the wheel that we'd never experienced before.* I went back and looked at the steering gear in the lazarrette and it was vibrating and rattling at cruise speed.* So we went back to our slip rather than risk damaging something* Had the boat dove on and it was barnacle growth on the props.* It can not only unblalance a prop, it can disrupt the water flow coming off the prop to where it starts pulsing the rudder(s).

In the case of the sailboat in the slip across from us, it had not been run for many months during the winter (the owners live in Canada and use the boat primarily in the summer).* When they came down to take the boat out for the first time this season, they could barely get it out of the sip.* So they went back in and called the dive service.* Barnacles on the prop was the reason for an almost total lack of thrust.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Great info on the props / barnacles. There are a LOT of barnacles on our props and struts, which the yard is removing. Everyone on the sea trial had expected the boat to go faster at WOT so sounds like these barnacles are slowing us down.

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about a little roughness on the bottom. We won't be doing any type of racing or contests in this boat.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #31
FF
Guru

One common fix for the non liveaboard seldom used boat is a pool.

The pool inflates to seal the water under & beside the boat from the rest of the world.

A gallon of Chlorox every tine the boat returns , and no growth , ever.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #32

In our area(as an average):

$10/ft haul, pressure wash, block, launch
$15/ft two coats of paint on the bottom.
4 gallons of whatever good paint you want, retail price, ususally around $800-$900 for good stuff( lets say $22/ft)
4 hours prepping, priming, painting running gear $75/hr, 4 hours, $300(divided by 42 equals $7/ft ) assuming a twin screw vessel with exposed shafts on this, not my single srew full keel)
Add on another $250 for running gear paint, suits, tape, brushes, miscelaneous storage* and environmental feesm just shy of $6/ft.

My math looks like about $60/ft for a 42' boat with twin screws and exposed shafts (lets say we prime and put Tri-lux on them), two coats of higher end retail paint, and the yard doing all of the work...forgot to include time and materials to replace the zincs in that number...and of course the other things that will be found such as worn cutlass bearings, dinged props, mis-alingments, blisters, failing thru-hulls, sea cocks that need servicing, broken clamshells..........am I forgetting anything?*

I know it can be done cheaper but I think the things below the waterline are important and should be painted properly!

-- Edited by JMYSS on Friday 3rd of September 2010 08:26:34 PM
JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #33
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

IIRC --- We did it ourselves in Oriental for less that $800 $350-ish of that was the yard fees to haul, block, and wash. The rest was paint and materials.
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Same here in Craig Alaska except you get to do the wash yourself.

Wat's IIRC mean?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 9th of September 2010 09:30:31 AM
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

If
I
Recall
Correctly

Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

I paid about $1200 for everything at my marina.* The marina didn't do it, the manager did it on his own time.* Part of the cost was for marina services, the rest for labor and materials.* I had them use the paint my diver recommended.* It was expensive paint.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #37

Quote:
FF wrote:

One common fix for the non liveaboard seldom used boat is a pool.

The pool inflates to seal the water under & beside the boat from the rest of the world.

A gallon of Chlorox every time the boat returns , and no growth , ever.
We have one small power boat (25') in our marina that uses this method. *Looks rather time consuming putting it on and taking it off each time the boat goes out, but I guess it saves a lot of scraping. I'm hoping the owner of the boat doesn't use much bleach, as I saw two river otters jump into the 'pool' the other day. *I was hoping to see them jump out, but didn't. Hopefully the little critters can tell bad water when they taste it!

Here in Brookings the yard will pull your boat and provide a steam cleaner, but you do all the washing, scraping, painting and so on. I just had my 34 footer taken out a couple weeks ago; pulled out on a Friday and splashed in the next Tuesday, and the yard bill was just under $300. Two hundred of that was the minimum haul out cost.*Best deal on the Oregon coast, if you like to do your own work.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	haulout in 2010 (19).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	2703   Click image for larger version

Name:	haulout in 2010 (53).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	2704  
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #38
FF
Guru

Looks rather time consuming putting it on and taking it off each time the boat goes out,

The ones I have seen were left in the slip , with rear opening open , and the vessel returning simply had to pull the entrance and dump in some chlorene.

Pool pills seemed the simplest to toss in.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

I don't really ever see us doing bottom paint.* My husband and I have installed bilge pumps, electronics, lights, all kinds of stuff,*but painting is not our forte.* I would like to get it done for less than $75/foot next time though!
Painting a bottom is not rocket science.* Besides you, very few people will ever even see your handywork.* Simply scuffing the bottom, scraping off any loose paint, and wiping it down prior to slopping on some paint doesn't take very long, and the cost is only for paint and misc supplys.* It's hard to make a mistake, unlike installing pumps or electronics.* Spend a day or two, and save big, and putting on a coat of bottom paint on the props is far cheaper than Propspeed, but won't last as long.* Still, it really helps...............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #40
TF Site Team

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Painting a bottom is not rocket science.* Besides you, very few people will ever even see your handywork.* Simply scuffing the bottom, scraping off any loose paint, and wiping it down prior to slopping on some paint doesn't take very long, and the cost is only for paint and misc supplys.* It's hard to make a mistake, unlike installing pumps or electronics.* Spend a day or two, and save big, and putting on a coat of bottom paint on the props is far cheaper than Propspeed, but won't last as long.* Still, it really helps...............Arctic Traveller
LOL I think it is more lack of patience with dealing with sanding, paint and ladders then being worried how it will look.* Some things we enjoy or at least go quickly enough that we can handle the aggravation... though if the amount we paid for this bottom is going to be the cost every two years we may consider giving it a shot...* I'll let you know in 2012!