Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #21

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
RE: Bottom Cleaning

Art,
I dont know what you consider a full work day, but in the hull cleaning business, doing 8 boats a day is pretty typical. Any hull cleaner will confirm this. I have done as many as 20 in a day. So yes, 20,000 service events in a 17-year stretch is not unreasonable. I understand that you may consider yourself something of an expert on the subject. You're not of course, but maybe you should consider becoming one before you cast aspersions at someone who is.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #22

@CP- I once saw two California spiny lobsters in widely separated slips in a marina on the Estuary. Never seen any before or since. Weird, since spiny lobsters are not indigenous to Nor Cal.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
fstbttms wrote:
Art, I dont know what you consider a full work day, but in the hull cleaning business, doing 8 boats a day is pretty typical. Any hull cleaner will confirm this. I have done as many as 20 in a day. So yes, 20,000 service events in a 17-year stretch is not unreasonable. I understand that you may consider yourself something of an expert on the subject. You're not of course, but maybe you should consider becoming one before you cast aspersions at someone who is.
Dear FB
You today came in this forum, on this thread, diametrically contradicting my decades of knowledge regarding zinc as an OK fresh water anode as long as it is often wire brushed clean on its surface.* You clearly implied I was completely incorrect!* Regarding which you have not even again mentioned since I provided the proof you requested that I am correct... straight from the Anode website that you recommended. *For you to not know or understand the quotes I supplied regarding zinc in fresh water, from your recommended website, leaves me suspect... *
I have dived under boats for cleaning and other performances much of*my life... still do.* I well understand length of time to correctly clean a hull and all its apparatus.* 20 in an 8 hour day, as you say...*

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #24

Here's why I can clean 8 boats a day without much trouble and you clearly struggle cleaning one- I don't let my client's boats sit and get foul for 6 months at a stretch, so they clean up easily and relatively quickly. Around here we call it "proper boat maintenance." You oughta try it some time. ;-)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
Aw Jeez guys, give it a break until Sunday, say. OTDE should be back in action at that time and you can trade fart intensities and frequencies at that time. I'm sure you BOTH have something valuable to contribute without getting into a pissing contest at this point. One guy cleans bottoms the other is a chemist (I think). All that was asked is the frequency of bottom cleaning NOT wiping in various cruising areas ! OK, the thread morphed (as is usual and expected) into anodal protection but MY Question is "Who has smelt REALLY bad cheese?" C'mon, 'fess up.....Mr. Art, not asking for any favoritism here, just chill mon.....
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #26

I'm liking this forum. Good fun from Day One!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings Mr. bttms.....it gets better!!!!! Hahahaha....
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #28

I dunno, it's been pretty good already! I like mixing it up and so far, no shortage of that here.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Doesn't really matter what is being discussed about zinc..unless you put a meter on*your underwater fittings*and check*them regularly...you have no idea whether it's protecting your underwater metal or not.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
Doesn't really matter what is being discussed about zinc..unless you put a meter on*your underwater fittings*and check*them regularly...you have no idea whether it's protecting your underwater metal or not.

If they are being disolved, they are working.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #31
Guru

Bottom Cleaning

Quote:
fstbttms wrote:
I'm liking this forum. Good fun from Day One!

fstbttms,

You probably already know this, but on every forum there are a few people who just cannot be wrong no matter how wrong they actually are.* You'll never get the last word.

Best to just let them ramble on, you're not going to change them.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 29th of March 2012 06:33:52 AM
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #32

Bottom Cleaning

Quote:
Oh, believe me, I know it. I spend waaay too much time in forums and have for years. I'm an old hand at this.
-- Edited by fstbttms on Thursday 29th of March 2012 08:36:07 AM
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #33

Bottom Cleaning

BTW- I couldn't post this from my phone while I was out on the water, cleaning the six or eight boats I did yesterday :jawdrop: but here is a chart from the Martyr Anodes web site illustrating anode types and where they should*(and where they should not) be used. I think it's pretty clear:

-- Edited by fstbttms on Thursday 29th of March 2012 08:54:24 AM

-- Edited by fstbttms on Thursday 29th of March 2012 08:55:25 AM
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Does anyone have a Galvanic isolator on there boats or zinc saver as I like to call it.

They really do work if you have a hot harbor.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #35
Art
Guru

It is clear that with maintenance*zinc can successfully*be used in fresh water too!
Following are quotes from Martyr Anodes website;*fstbttms favorite.* As I*have said and others boaters*clearly intimated... zinc works in fresh water too, especially*if its surface is kept*clean.**Page link: http://www.martyranodes.com/content/...-corrosion.php*i.e. "... for example the surface of a zinc... if left in fresh water for some time become covered with an off white crust of oxide which effectively seals the anode and stops it working... It is therefore very important to check Zinc... [in] fresh water and if necessary clean [it] off..."*As I say...*Cleaning the surface of zinc enables it to continue working unabated by surface coating in fresh water.**Properly tended, Zinc can function as an applicable anode in fresh water.* If left unattended zinc will eventually cease functioning as an anode.* There is no need to change anodes in fresh water as long as zinc surface is kept clean.*

*Full sentrences from Myrtr Anode web page linked above:*
Not all anodes are suitable for every environment, for example the surface of a zinc or aluminum anode will if left in fresh water for some time become covered with an off white crust of oxide which effectively seals the anode and stops it working even when returned to salt water. Zinc Anodes suffer a similar problem even in brackish conditions whereas Aluminum will continue to operate effectively in river estuaries and other areas of brackish water indefinitely. The consequences of this passivity of the anode are that the next most anodic item within the anode bonding system will start to sacrifice itself which could of course be very serious.
It is therefore very important to check Zinc and Aluminum anodes after any trips into fresh water and if necessary clean off or change the anodes. Should a vessel move into fresh water for more than two weeks Martyr recommends that an alternative anode system is used suitable for fresh water situations.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
Does anyone have a Galvanic isolator on there boats or zinc saver as I like to call it.

SD
SD - Altough our Tolly is not at a*hot harbor in our*remote*freshwater location,*and* therefore I do not require one.**I*agree with use of Galvanic Isolaters in Hot-Spots*and have been told they*work well by other boaters.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #37

My personal opinion is that a galvanic isolator is never a bad idea. However, I also think the "hot harbor" is a wive's tale. You can go to virtually any marina anywhere and find somebody who will say it's "hot" there. I have heard this in virtually every marina I have ever worked in in the Bay Area, and I have yet to find it to be true. Marina-wide problems are rare, IMHO. That being said, if you are plugged into the shorepower system, your boat is in electrical contact with every other boat on that particular circuit and you can be sharing somebody else's electrical problems. But in reality, if you are experiencing rapid zinc depletion or corrosion issues, the most likely cause is aboard your own boat and that's the place to look first.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

SD

I do.* I thought any boat with shorepower would have one from the factory.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
fstbttms wrote:
My personal opinion is that a galvanic isolator is never a bad idea. However, I also think the "hot harbor" is a wive's tale. You can go to virtually any marina anywhere and find somebody who will say it's "hot" there. I have heard this in virtually every marina I have ever worked in in the Bay Area, and I have yet to find it to be true. Marina-wide problems are rare, IMHO. That being said, if you are plugged into the shorepower system, your boat is in electrical contact with every other boat on that particular circuit and you can be sharing somebody else's electrical problems. But in reality, if you are experiencing rapid zinc depletion or corrosion issues, the most likely cause is aboard your own boat and that's the place to look first.

A friend of mine was told by a mutual friend and boat owner that he was moving to another marina downriver.* His diver told him that his anodes were being disolved because of electricity in the water from a train bridge about a mile up river (this is not an electric train).

I call BS, but I didn't talk to the diver personally.

If you have a problem with your anodes or underwater metal and the other boats in your marina do not, you should probably look for a problem on your own boat or possibly the individual pedestall you are plugged into.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #40
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

I do.* I thought any boat with shorepower would have one from the factory.
*I made my own.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote