Old 10-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Bottom and blisters

Tim,

I do just about exactly the same. Use a slightly different West System epoxy and consider it a barrier coat. Then sand and apply bottom paint. Do'nt consider this a big issue ...just a bit of a nuisance.*

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

So when I bought my boat (1987 TT) surveyor said no issue with blisters -- when I hauled and painted the bottom a month or so later, I saw a few areas of tiny blisters (1-2mm diameter) that did not deform the bottom at all. I painted and splashed. I plan on stripping the bottom of many coats of bottom paint sometime next year (probably soda blasting) but should I do anything else about these tiny blisters, i.e. sand/grind down and apply barrier coat?

Thanks,
dvd

dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

I suggest that any boat from the 80s grind a fairly substantial area around a place where there are several blisters. My boat had some blister work done at some point and it looks like someone even tried a weak attempt at a barrier coat...which I think the combo of a bad patch job and poor barrier coat actually accelerated all my damage.

If you want an eye opener...research hydrolysis on the internet...after several articles and looking at some boats...you get the point...I have already noted some boats in my marina that show small patches of it that the owners couldn't believe...I have been seeing it for years in varying degrees and never quite knew the whole process....well my boat has brought it home.

if you think you can let a bad bottom go a few more years..well you might..if up north in cooler water and letting it dry every winter a few months.

if you leave her in the water and are in Florida like waters...even a few years can spell the delamination of several layers of fiberglass from your entire bottom...don't believe me...look at the chisel and chunking of my bottom...you'll believe...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #24
Guru

Scott, I saw the de-lamination on a 30 yo sailboat in the yard when I was doing my bottom. I think from what I've seen the serious de-lamination that you're experiencing is somewhat rare. Blisters however are not. With serious de-lamination like the sailboat I mentioned, the entire hull was having to be relaminated and glassed. I think the owner mentioned about 20-30 grand for the re-glassing. Nearly half the value of the boat. Perhaps your problem is a bit different, but it sounds similar. Again I think this is rare but for you it doesn't matter how rare it is. Sounds like you've done your research. Good luck with it and let us know how you proceed.

As Eric mentioned blisters at least here in FL are viewed either two ways. Fix before it gets worse, or forget about it. The mechanic at the yard I used suggested repairing all the blisters then blasting to remove all the bottom paint. Then apply a barrier coat. I choose not to do the barrier coat. Time will tell if that was the right decision.*
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

My research led me to a lot of reading on hydrolysis...what I am saying is the point that my boat is isn't all that rare....especially boats in warm water all year.

Hydrolysis is going on with or without blisters on most all boats. ALL fiberglass is absorbing water and slowly dissolving...don't believe me...go into sites that just make fiberglass tanks and pipelines...they are sayinjg the same thing.

The trick is to slow the process...thus all the newer boats have some or all layers of their hull vinylester resin.* So my reworking will be remove most of the bad glass (starting to get scared as some places I'm into 2 layers of roving that have weak bonds), then a coat of epoxy,* fill deep grinds with glass cloth,*fair with epoxy fairing*mix, one layer of polyester cloth and epoxy, then 4-5 coats of Interlux Interprotect 2000*

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #26
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Getting my bottom stripped and painted. Tk God, no blistering or de-lamination so lucky I guess. Also having the runners done too.

Elwin*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6242.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	8505   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6243.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	8506   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6245.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	8507  
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Lebanon Township
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
I'm late to the game but the info in this thread is great! I'm looking at various 80's trawlers and one I like has blisters as well as some hull deflections. Sounds like a full peel can tip the scales at 20k or more... and the deflection fix just adds to it... ouch!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Keep looking,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Lebanon Township
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
Disappointing when u hear so much praise for the kk42 and then bump up against hull issues like this, that other 42's also have. I can probably negotiate the price somewhat, and the decks are already done, but i spotted rot at the base of the forward engine room bulkhead (glass separated from the ply) what other gremlins lurk that would be difficult to identify without doing destructive investigation... e.g. tanks, etc. The Lehman has low hours and doesn't smoke at all from a cold start, which seems like a plus to my uneducated eyes.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #30

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
David Pascoe's page has the best information on blisters that I have seen.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #31

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
David Pascoe's page has the best information on blisters that I have seen.
Yacht survey.com

Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote