Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 66
Bonding

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	95204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	95205

The images show the bonding strip on both sides of our boat. My concern is the port side looks like itís been damaged, maybe by stuff stored in the lazarrette slamming against it. The zincs appear to be doing their job and have been replaced once by myself since buying the boat. It has spent at least 9 months on the hard in the 2 years I have owned her. Comments.
__________________
Advertisement

jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,747
Greetings,
Mr. js. Sorry. Maybe not enough coffee this morning but I only see some corrosion in the top picture which, if not right through the strip is cosmetic only. And which is which? Port/starboard? Is the first picture side ways? Difficult to figure out orientation and location...More coffee...
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. js. Sorry. Maybe not enough coffee this morning but I only see some corrosion in the top picture which, if not right through the strip is cosmetic only. And which is which? Port/starboard? Is the first picture side ways? Difficult to figure out orientation and location...More coffee...


The 1st image is from the port side and is vertical. The 2nd is from the starboard side and also vertical. Do I go for my 3rd cup???
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: B.C.
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,471
The straps look like brass flat strips.

Unless the straps are actually broken then continuity will remain regardless of appearance or any dings or dents.

THe corrosion showing should not matter UNLESS any connections where bonding wires are secured are corroding or are loose. In that case it should simply be mtc. needed.

Remove those with problems, clean them up including the strap at that point and apply a dielectric compound, Silicone grease, or a product like NoAlox.

Then test for any resistance across the connection.

The green verdegris on the strip surface won't matter.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,776
I agree. I might have to clean off the chunks of corrosion just because of my OCD but the chunks wonít hurt. Check for continuity with less than 1 ohm.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 66
Mtc?

What does MTC mean?


Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
The straps look like brass flat strips.

Unless the straps are actually broken then continuity will remain regardless of appearance or any dings or dents.

THe corrosion showing should not matter UNLESS any connections where bonding wires are secured are corroding or are loose. In that case it should simply be mtc. needed.

Remove those with problems, clean them up including the strap at that point and apply a dielectric compound, Silicone grease, or a product like NoAlox.

Then test for any resistance across the connection.

The green verdegris on the strip surface won't matter.
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Marinette, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 208
My boat has a combination of fairly heavy insulated copper wire and some strips which I assumed were copper but could be brass for bonding. Is this acceptable ? What is the difference between bonding and grounding ?

I am in fresh water so it may not be as important but I am still confused.

Maybe I should open a new thread but this one seems pretty close.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbraga View Post
What does MTC mean?
Where did that come in at?
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
My boat has a combination of fairly heavy insulated copper wire and some strips which I assumed were copper but could be brass for bonding. Is this acceptable ? What is the difference between bonding and grounding ?

I am in fresh water so it may not be as important but I am still confused.

Maybe I should open a new thread but this one seems pretty close.

pete
Bonding is to prevent corrosion by tying all the underwater metals to your anodes. Grounding is a safety ground so that if there stray electrical current it will be conducted to ground and not to your body or the water.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 66
Mtc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Where did that come in at?
THe corrosion showing should not matter UNLESS any connections where bonding wires are secured are corroding or are loose. In that case it should simply be mtc. needed
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Tuttouomo's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 144
Maintenance.
Tuttouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Punta Gorda
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 66
What maintenance is suggested? Any help is appreciated.
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #13
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,776
Just cleaning up the connections. Maybe put an ohm meter on the connections and check for resistance, should be less than 1 ohm.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #14
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: B.C.
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,471
mtc. Yes, maintenance but I added to the lack of clarity by missing the 'E'
Should have been mtce.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:20 PM   #15
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,105
That wouldn't have helped either. Maint. would be the most easily understood abr. for maintenance, in proper context of course.
__________________

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×