Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

City: Gabriola Island BC
Vessel Name: VALHALLA
Vessel Model: Sunnfjord raised pilot house
Unhappy Trash Compactor Blues

Hello, I am a new member of Trawler Forum. I have been cruising Alaskan and Canadian Waters on my 45' trawler for 16 years. Chartered on Prince William Sound for 12 years. My 25 year old trawler is a gem. We re-fitted her a few years ago and she is a joy to cruise on. Last fall my Broan 12" trash compactor gave it up with a lot of clunking and grinding. The idea was to just replace it with a new one. Ahhh, big problem as all the trash compactors seem to be 15" now and there is no way I can fit a 15 incher in. Anyone have an old one, anyone know of a dealer that offers a 12"compactor, anyone ever rebuild one of these???? Can't imagine being out for 2 weeks without it!!!
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhellian View Post
Hello, I am a new member of Trawler Forum. I have been cruising Alaskan and Canadian Waters on my 45' trawler for 16 years. Chartered on Prince William Sound for 12 years. My 25 year old trawler is a gem. We re-fitted her a few years ago and she is a joy to cruise on. Last fall my Broan 12" trash compactor gave it up with a lot of clunking and grinding. The idea was to just replace it with a new one.
Funny thing...I read your message after we finished a particularly nice bottle of Syrah...and I was going to say that you're not going to like my response - you should remove the trash compactor completely because it is at odds with your MARPOL garbage plan, as referenced by your garbage placard.

Then I realized you said compactor, not disposal.

Nevermind.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Trash compactor? Haven't seen one of those over 30 years ago.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Guru

I have one. Hugely useful at transforming 30 lbs of garbage into 30 lbs of garbage!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have one but so far haven't used it. I think it will be 12" wide. Old, but seems to work ie it starts when turned on. I'll give it a try in a few weeks time when I get back to the boat, but could be tempted to sell it.
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I know you are in BC but this place is an institution in Northern California. They have knowledgeable countermen and can normally diagnose issues on most appliances. At the very least they could fax or email you some literature that will help you repair.

A PED Appliance Parts

Full disclosure: I have no affiliation with this outfit except for being a satisfied customer.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I have one. Hugely useful at transforming 30 lbs of garbage into 30 lbs of garbage!
Yes, but it will be much smaller garbage.

I've never owned one, at home or on my boat, but I see that some cities are now charging by the bag for garbage collection. If they ever start that where I live, I'll get one. Or just haul my garbage to the nearest vacant lot!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
...some cities are now charging by the bag for garbage collection....If they ever start that where I live, I'll get one
Well, a smaller 30lb bag of garbage is still "a bag" and would be charged the same rate. We have one at home and maybe get 1 compaction per week - though it really gets a workout if we have a party. Bags are expensive and harder to find (I bought a year's supply on Amazon). Honestly, on a boat I only think it's of use of you are doing substantial cruising between garbage dumps so your accumulated garbage takes up less space.

Mine also is the source of a persistent rattle at a certain cruising RPM. I've wedged a crumpled paper towel against the compacting element to reduce it.

FWIW, I've been thinking about removing mine and replacing it with a slide out combo for trash and recycle.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

Compactor.

Thanks for the replies. I will try the appliance store in Northern Cal.
Unlike most cruisers we do not care to go from one marina to the next. We would rather be swinging on the hook. We have gone 5 weeks without visiting a dock. So the 30 lbs. of trash indeed gets in the way. Nice to have it "compacted".
Where we live not only do they charge for garbage but you are allowed only two bags every two weeks. Necessitating separation for re-cycle and pulling out all organics for compost. Being Alaskan I rallied against this at first but now I see that it is a great idea. We need to keep this planet as clean as we can. Enough said on that subject.
Insequent, thanks, could be costly to get it here from Australia!!
Oh yeah, my marpol sticker is on the from of my trash compactor!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Grand Vizier

Why not just replace the Broan? Broan 105X 12" Trash Compactor with 1.4 Cu. Ft. Capacity, Safety Lock & Swing Away Door

On long trips, a compactor is really nice to have, since you can store a month's of garbage in a pretty small space. Organics all go over the side to feed the fishes, so as long as we only put not rotting stuff into the compactor smell isn't an issue.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Well, a smaller 30lb bag of garbage is still "a bag" and would be charged the same rate.
But you could put multiple compacted bags into a regular trash bag. Or perhaps they charge extra for multiple or larger garbage carts. If your garbage won't fit into a single cart, compacting it could save you the rental on an additional cart.

Just saying, there can be reasons for a compactor. Of course, just crushing cans and plastic bottles and cardboard boxes manually can save a lot of space at no cost.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhellian View Post
Hello, I am a new member of Trawler Forum. I have been cruising Alaskan and Canadian Waters on my 45' trawler for 16 years. Chartered on Prince William Sound for 12 years. My 25 year old trawler is a gem. We re-fitted her a few years ago and she is a joy to cruise on. Last fall my Broan 12" trash compactor gave it up with a lot of clunking and grinding. The idea was to just replace it with a new one. Ahhh, big problem as all the trash compactors seem to be 15" now and there is no way I can fit a 15 incher in. Anyone have an old one, anyone know of a dealer that offers a 12"compactor, anyone ever rebuild one of these???? Can't imagine being out for 2 weeks without it!!!
Thanks ahead of time.
We also operate out of Southcentral Alaska, and have probably run into each other over the years.

We have a trash compactor both at home and on the new boat. They are great at reducing the volume of trash, which can be very handy on a boat. Like you, I cannon think of being without a trash smasher.

Since there are no 12" models available, and you cannot fit a 15" unit, can you rebuild yours?
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We have one at home, it works very well. None on the boat but I can see it would be very usefull on a boat especially in areas where one is charged by the bag for garbage disposal, you could fit three bags worth of garbage, or more, into one for the dinghy trip ashore.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Organics all go over the side to feed the fishes...
Legally? Not dockside, and not within "Rivers, Bays, Sounds and within 3 miles from shore".

If you are within "3 to 12 miles from shore" you can legally do this for waste "consisting of foodstuffs only, smaller than one inch in size".

If you are over 40 feet, all of this should be specified in your "written waste management plan".

In the PNW, it is illegal to dump anything overboard in Puget Sound - the three to twelve nautical mile regulations refer to offshore, west of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Penalties can be substantial: "Captains violating the requirements of the MARPOL TREATY may face civil penalty up to $25,000 or a fine up to $50,000 and up to 5 years imprisonment."
Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Why not just replace the Broan? Broan 105X 12" Trash Compactor with 1.4 Cu. Ft. Capacity, Safety Lock & Swing Away Door

On long trips, a compactor is really nice to have, since you can store a month's of garbage in a pretty small space. Organics all go over the side to feed the fishes, so as long as we only put not rotting stuff into the compactor smell isn't an issue.
I just clicked on the link and it says discontinued where there might be a price.
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #16

Broan

YeahI tried that too, also tried GE and a couple of others. I am looking into used equipment now and the possibility of rebuilding the old one.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
I just clicked on the link and it says discontinued where there might be a price.
Hate it when that happens....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Guru

Might be worth looking at CL - you can even do a nationwide Google search with (for instance) '12" trash compactor site:craigslist.org', which returns a few that have been sold / removed including "GE Monogram" and "Thermadore" units. So they ARE out there.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
............. Organics all go over the side to feed the fishes, ............
Technically, of course, that is illegal. I'm not really sure why though. You can grind up fish, throw it overboard and call it chum, but if you don't have a fishing rod in your hand, it's "garbage".

Who makes these laws?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Legally? Not dockside, and not within "Rivers, Bays, Sounds and within 3 miles from shore".

If you are within "3 to 12 miles from shore" you can legally do this for waste "consisting of foodstuffs only, smaller than one inch in size".

If you are over 40 feet, all of this should be specified in your "written waste management plan".

In the PNW, it is illegal to dump anything overboard in Puget Sound - the three to twelve nautical mile regulations refer to offshore, west of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Penalties can be substantial: "Captains violating the requirements of the MARPOL TREATY may face civil penalty up to $25,000 or a fine up to $50,000 and up to 5 years imprisonment."
Again, what about "chum"? What's the difference if it's your leftovers from dinner or fish you bought for bait? What about leftover bait? Everyone I know throws it into the water.

Every marina I have been to that has a fish cleaning station (mine has one), the fish scraps, heads, etc., are simply tossed in the water. One I was at recently had signs directing fishermen to dump their discards at the end of the pier.

These laws make criminals out of a lot of people.

Tags
trash compactor