Boat extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art--- Good points about the dynamics of following seas against an extended platform boat, thanks. I can see where they could cause some real handling problems depending on the configuration of the boat. If the hull was deep or had a very deep keel or had a big rudder or if the boat was quite long, etc. I could see where the handling might not be affected too radically. But from the photo it would appear the Menorquin has none of these attributes so would probably suffer from the problems you describe.

I know our boat in a following sea (well, waves, really, we don't get "seas" in the inside waters up here) can keep one busy at the helm and we have a relatively narrow, open-slat swimstep. So we're just experiencing the force of the water against the flat transom.

I think Carey has the ultimate solution with his lobsterboat. If the following seas get annoying, he just speeds up.:) Can't do that with a pair of FL120s and a 30,000 pound boat.:(

Marin - Thanks for seeing my point. In decades past on the Atlantic coast I have experienced some real tough following seas and they can get scary. :eek:

I can't deny that the same issue with a large following see has occurred to me when considering adding a swim platform. Truth is, I have no "intention" to put myself in that kind of danger, but when crossing the Gulf Stream, who knows. Local squalls can give you 20 to 30 minutes of real hell. Our boat access and safety would be greatly enhanced by a swim platform, but one of the best assets of a Krogen Manatee is handling in a following sea. I'd hate to mess up a good thing, especially when it decides to kick-up while entering an inlet. The fold-up unit on the Coot really makes me think. It may be the best way to go.

as long as the "platform" like on the Menorquins (I believe) or the open deck of the lobster boats has buoyancy....you guys are worried WAYYYY too much.

work around offshore boats and barges and work platforms...they have all sorts of wierd looking projections that "look" unseaworthy...but as long as there's enough bouyancy and strength...no biggie.

....and for the record...double enders with lots of buoyancy back there ride like crap too.

They are safer to a point in breaking seas from abaft but if just large seas that lift the stern...they ride very similar to any other boat with the same underwater configuration.

Are the large open areas filled with glass or lexan?

Can't tell by the pictures.

Is that a for sale sign on the upper deck.

Inquiring minds.

Sd

See my earlier post referring to the boat`s advertisment for sale.
Lexan or glass? Glass
For Sale Sign? Yes.
As to the admiring quote attributed to the Coast Guard operator,I wonder what his guide dog thought about the design. BruceK

nicely done maybe, but butt ugly and does nothing for the boat or resale.
Man if he wanted a bigger boat he should have purchased a bigger boat.
But then again each to his own.

nicely done maybe, but butt ugly and does nothing for the boat or resale.
Man if he wanted a bigger boat he should have purchased a bigger boat.
But then again each to his own.

Had that 3 foot'itis but only the 6 inch budget...:lol:

You ought to have heard how the fertile girl boats in the marina chatted as gossip when his supposed 3' seemed like 6" to them! :lol:

This fellow cut his boat and added 4' in the middle. The design lines shows the extension addition. It is a glass over wood boat and was originally local built. He added the cabin / flybridge after he extended it.

Elwin

Attachments

• IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 135
"nicely done maybe, but butt ugly and does nothing for the boat or resale."

Actually, it did a lot for resale. Devalued it at least 2 to 3 times the removal cost and thats to a single guy that wants the boat. If he has a female S.O., that boat will be a definate 'no-no' under any conditions.

I dont know about insurance where you guys live, but down here on the Gulf, it is difficult to get insurance if you are a live-aboard. One time I asked my agent about that and he said it was because live-aboards are known to make modifications to a boat that make them un-sellable and so they manage to sink or otherwise get destroyed. I have witnessed that first hand on several boats and this might be one of them.

Exciting News for Admirers of this Vessel!

It is advertised for sale by "Online bidding. Reserve $165000". The seller says: "This boat needs to be seen to be believed".
BruceK

Stern additions and 'open sterns' have been a way of life in the commercial fishing business for many years now... its nothing new. If done by a reputable outfit there are rarely problems.
Butt-ugly? .. maybe yes maybe no , depending on your tastes. I've seen many a sailor with a beautifull boat and a butt-ugly house .... Butt each to his own :rofl:

jpg.gif
DSCF3916.jpg

This is a shot of the stern of my lobsterboat on a trip inside Great salt pond seeding 5000 lbs of quahogs... I know this might scare some of you .

... but believe me open sterns are not as dangerous as you might think.

Attachments

• DSCF3916.jpg
    DSCF3916.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 131
It seems Australian boat buyers must share the opinions of TFers about "Lone Ranger", which is still for sale. Especially telling is the fact it is offered for sale by a Sydney company which operates as a dealer with a long history of successful buying and selling,not broking,and not restricted to boats. Usually they turn over their boat stock fast,no doubt due to astute selection and good buying. But not this time, so far. BruceK

Looks to me like 'Lone Ranger' has had far too much money poorly spent in terms of design philosophy. Workmanship looked fine. Perhaps it could be OK on the Hawkesbury, or on the Gold Coast Broadwater where alfresco cocktails are order of the day, but as a real oddity I think it will be slow to sell.

I've been considering doing an extension, as the Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I's that have it done look great. Typically 5 ft to the cockpit, as a full hull extension. Mostly the engines and gear are not moved. The extra WLL gives an extra knot. But I could not get any objective views on trim/handling afterwards, which was a niggling concern. My inquiries came up with a cost in excess of $15,000 per ft. That kind of money was a bigger concern, so its off the list now.

But I would like a bigger swim platform. 2 ft wide isn't really enough. I'm thinking of doing a hull extension that has a 2'6" or 3' swim platform as its top. So get some WLL benefit as well as better platform. It should be easy enough to mould a bolt-on unit from GRP, try it and if it works OK remove and re-bolt after spreading Sikaflex on the mating surfaces. That way it can still be removed if desired. I just have to deal with the exhaust extensions, and would probably remove and ditch the trim tabs altogether.

But there is also something to be said for a lift-up swim platform given the marina per-ft charge rates.

Last edited:
But there is also something to be said for a lift-up swim platform given the marina per-ft charge rates.

I toss and turn at night thinking about wasting money on so many darned projects, not the least of which is a proposed swim platform as an adjunct to our life-sling MOB rescue plan. A lift-up swim platform would be the ultimate convenience, but with rounded sterns like the Willards or Krogens, any practical design quickly becomes an obstruction. I think I'll give up on the idea.

Looks to me like 'Lone Ranger'... could be OK on the Hawkesbury, or on the Gold Coast Broadwater where alfresco cocktails are order of the day, but as a real oddity....

I've been considering doing an extension, as the Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I's that have it done look great.... But I could not get any objective views on trim/handling afterwards
The people who could tell you how it works would be the owners who have done it, if you could track one down.
A (?the) virtue of the L/Ranger is it appears the extension is low weight.
I`m all for a drink on the Hawkesbury,magic when everyone else is not there, tucked away in a protected little bay like Pinta or Castle Lagoon,with well kept free National Park moorings. BruceK

Back
Top Bottom