Boat Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandEagle

Vessel Name
Island Eagle
Vessel Make
DeFever
My newest purchase is a full boat cover. I can't wait to get it fitted and see how it works. It was pretty darn expensive, but it should retard the aging process.

Just a small note here. In 2005 I bought a full boat cover from Chris Lohman at Boatcovers Canada (Lohmann Sails & Covers). At the time he was on Saltspring Island, now he's just south of Nanaimo.

I would highly, highly recommend a cover this as an investment for any boat which is used rarely, but in particular wooden boats. The cost was less than 5% of what a boathouse would cost, but you get almost all of the benefits. I find that I can get the cover off or on in about an hour or so, and that's with a pretty big boat (60 ft, raised pilothouse). The cover includes colour-coded storage bags (3) which fit into the lazarette.

Chris has a VERY impressive system for templating the boat, and his shop/loft is really a sight to behold. Trust me, he's passionate about boat covers. He even gets custom fabric manufactured to his specs.

Best of all, he keeps the measurements on file, so if you have a relatively common boat he can make you a cover without even having to do the templating.

I have no connection at all other than as a happy customer.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 161
During the winter we also cover most of the Eagle with several canvas/tarps mostly to protect the teak bright work. However most of our canvas is clear plastic rather than solid being a live aboard. We have canvas enclosed the pilot house, stern deck, covers for the storage boxes, running lights, cover the salon windows with plex a glass and trap the front deck. I can not justify the cost for a canvas for the front deck as a tarp lasts several winters. 50 bucks. The canvas/tarps goes keep/trap some heat and even on cloudy days it can be quite warm under the covers.

The pilot house and stern canvas roll up, so they do not have to be taken down. However, we take them down during the warmer months. The front tarps structure is PBC that is ducted tape together so it can be disassemble and stored. The tarp is held down by bungee cords so the whole things sort of shakes/rattles/rolls in high winds. The best things I have found to help/grip tarps are Tarp Grapper, can be inserted anywhere and they are re usable. http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900&va=tarp+grabber

I been thinking of taking down the front tarp soon, but two weeks ago it was pouring ran, high winds, freezing and even snowed for a day. Not quite a believer that spring is here yet? :flowers:

Our cover takes bout one (1) minute to go under or remove from. :dance:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 129
Our cover takes bout one (1) minute to go under or remove from.

Sure, but how would it stand up to a 4' snowfall overnight followed by rain the next day (he says somewhat jealously...)

Here's what our boat came with;

Seriously hurricane force winds worthy. It has a 2x4 frame, so the PO would put it up in the fall and take it down in the spring. We foresee an easier system, so we can scoot down during beautiful mid-winter weather to take the boat out for weekend trips.

Attachments

• Boat Cover.jpg
    Boat Cover.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 269
Sure, but how would it stand up to a 4' snowfall overnight followed by rain the next day (he says somewhat jealously...)

Here's what our boat came with;

Seriously hurricane force winds worthy. It has a 2x4 frame, so the PO would put it up in the fall and take it down in the spring. We foresee an easier system, so we can scoot down during beautiful mid-winter weather to take the boat out for weekend trips.

I well understand... New England boating NY / Maine - birth to mid 20's during 50s/60/70's. Worked in boat yards a lot. Each winter building canvas covered wood frames on many boats. I love SF climate, and, in the SF Delta's warm freshwater swimming is great bout 7 months of the year! Covered birth is soooo easy to deal with... protects boat from sun/rain. Boat exterior does get dusty though, occassional some bird poop too! - pooo me! :cry: :dance:

Just a small note here. In 2005 I bought a full boat cover from Chris Lohman at Boatcovers Canada (Lohmann Sails & Covers).

I'm glad to hear your satisfied with your cover, as Chris built my new one. He insists it will survive the winter in Juneau, but I can tell you it will be a challenge. One issue I see is that he attaches the cover to the hand rail stanchions, which are simply screwed into wood. Apparently, one Defever in Juneau ended up with all the railings pulled out in a big windstorm. Once I get it fitted, I expect I'll have to come up with an alternate method of attachment.

So, how has you cover held up? How is it attached? Does it shed snow? Thanks.........Arctic Traveller

Just a small note here. In 2005 I bought a full boat cover from Chris Lohman at Boatcovers Canada (Lohmann Sails & Covers). At the time he was on Saltspring Island, now he's just south of Nanaimo.

I've contemplated getting one from him several times. Just haven't committed yet. I am impressed by his workmanship on the covers that I've seen in person.

Same here. The boat cover sounds good if you don't have the chance to use your boat often. But I like the well-protected, covered slip if given the choice.

img_146628_0_ce32ba78cddd8f3bb1f43be7f77e451e.jpg

img_146628_1_61feca0b298dfef85ed42625ba0ae97a.jpg

A covered berth has its advantages. Nevertheless, a covered berth is out-of-the-question for the masted Coot. Besides, most of our boat time is spent at the berth, and a covered berth would ruin the ambiance.

img_146631_0_9fda32f385f01da028005446ba2e4481.jpg

Last edited:
One issue I see is that he attaches the cover to the hand rail stanchions, which are simply screwed into wood. Apparently, one Defever in Juneau ended up with all the railings pulled out in a big windstorm. Once I get it fitted, I expect I'll have to come up with an alternate method of attachment.

Ours isn't attached to the boat at all; it just hangs over the 2x4 frame with sandbag weights holding the lower edges well below the gunwales. I had me doubts at first, but since no wind could get underneath the cover it couldn't do that cover shredding balloon out, then compress down, then spastically do that whaka-whaka-whaka, RiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiP thing that tarps sometimes do in wicked wind storms.

Might not work with nylon fabric though (as those pictured appear to be made of) because it's so light weight...ours is made of a heavy coated material about 4 times thicker than normal tarp material.

Last edited:
Same here. The boat cover sounds good if you don't have the chance to use your boat often. But I like the well-protected, covered slip if given the choice.

Al, didn't your insistence for a covered berth in Vallejo (temporarily unavailable) "cost you" for planned several-month berthage there? There were/are lots of vacant uncovered berths available. An uncovered berth isn't the end of the world.

Last edited:
Why give up a beautiful, protected covered slip for an uncovered slip? Besides, some things are worth waiting for! I might still be there next month. We'll see how the dock repairs go.

My calcs show that cost of covered berth is at least 50% paid for by savings in annual costs and work-efforts to our boat. Least that's how it pencils-out on my dinner-time napkin! lol

The extra cost or the total cost of a covered berth over an uncovered berth?

... I might still be there next month. We'll see how the dock repairs go.

That would make a trip to Petaluma (and other destinations in the SF Bay Area) much less lengthy. ... Is a trip to Angel Island in early summer probable?

img_146646_0_cb3ea595cfec811e6d452bb9a603fcfb.jpg

Just a small note here. In 2005 I bought a full boat cover from Chris Lohman at Boatcovers Canada (Lohmann Sails & Covers).

I'm glad to hear your satisfied with your cover, as Chris built my new one. He insists it will survive the winter in Juneau, but I can tell you it will be a challenge. One issue I see is that he attaches the cover to the hand rail stanchions, which are simply screwed into wood. Apparently, one Defever in Juneau ended up with all the railings pulled out in a big windstorm. Once I get it fitted, I expect I'll have to come up with an alternate method of attachment.

So, how has you cover held up? How is it attached? Does it shed snow? Thanks.........Arctic Traveller

I use 2” PBC which is duct taped together so the frame can be taken apart and stowed easily. The tarp is held down by bungee cords ever foot so there is some give/stretch, and use Tarp Grabbers which as fasten to the teak gunnels with cup hooks. I get two to three years out of the tarp. In the wind the whole things just shacks rattle and rolls. The angle is steep, 45+ degrees so it sheds the snow quite well. Using cheap PBC making changes is not that hard.

The extra cost or the total cost of a covered berth over an uncovered berth?

Mark -

At least 50% savings in "boat-work" annually needed... regarding the total "boat-work" cost due to protection of a covered berth! These savings pencil out to approx 50% total annual cost for the covered berth itself.

Sun, rain, wind and other conditions occurring in open berth are either completely negated or greatly reduced in covered berth. Sun and rain are not at all inflictive of any damage on boat under a cover that is open enough for "breathing" purposes (so mildew does not form). Interior heat level changes of a closed-up boat when left for periods under a roof is also reduced.

In regard to a boat in new condition such as yours... there may not be too much damage inflicted, i.e. "boat-work" needed, by berthing in the open for years, and, as you mention the mast precludes a roof over your craft. However, for a classic boat such as our 1977 Tollycraft the covered berth is by far the best way to go. The cover notably reduces capital and time investments for maintenance/repair/refinishing "boat work" procedures.
:thumb:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Sun damage to the finish alone makes up for the difference in my opinion Art. My canvas and gel coat are much happier tucked away under the roof of our berth. Ours is also surrounded on all sides with screen material that keeps the birds and their deposits away too.

I had originally budgeted monthly detailing. With the covered and enclosed berth that amounts to 10 minutes with a web broom and garden hose.

sun damage to the finish alone makes up for the difference in my opinion art. My canvas and gel coat are much happier tucked away under the roof of our berth. Ours is also surrounded on all sides with screen material that keeps the birds and their deposits away too.

I had originally budgeted monthly detailing. With the covered and enclosed berth that amounts to 10 minutes with a web broom and garden hose.

agreed!

I'm glad to hear your satisfied with your cover, as Chris built my new one. He insists it will survive the winter in Juneau, but I can tell you it will be a challenge. One issue I see is that he attaches the cover to the hand rail stanchions, which are simply screwed into wood.

So, how has you cover held up? How is it attached?

Well, he is a pretty confident guy, and he's certainly stood behind his product.

One note is that the hard rail tie-downs are basically to stop it from flapping around. The holding down is done with the drawstring around the hull. My cover has held up well, although there are some wear points. It's not perfect for shedding snow, but it's not bad either.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Not an option when you have a 60 footer with a 30 foot air draft :-(

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Might not work with nylon fabric though (as those pictured appear to be made of) because it's so light weight...ours is made of a heavy coated material about 4 times thicker than normal tarp material.

The Lohmann covers are made with a special fabric that he has manufactured. It's a very tough synthetic canvas, sort of like sunbrella but quite harsh. Tough as nails and ripstop too.

Scot Welch
Island Eagle

The Lohmann covers are made with a special fabric that he has manufactured. It's a very tough synthetic canvas, sort of like sunbrella but quite harsh. Tough as nails and ripstop too.

Thanks.

On his site he mentions the drawstring going under the swim grid and under the bow, which would keep the wind from getting underneath. For very windy locations he can sew in a couple straps that go under the vessel which would be great for those who are on the hard.

I foresee a day in midwinter when we can undo this kind of canopy, stuff it into a bag, undo a few plastic pipes used for internal snow shedding support that can be bundled and stored aboard, and then take off down the channel. As it stands now we have to unscrew a mess of 2x4's, fold up the canopy, then hump it all up to the parking lot before we can take off. Hardly convenient...

The only covered slips in our marina are owner built...too much in potential liability claims due to 4' snowfalls for the marina to build them!

I foresee a day in midwinter when we can undo this kind of canopy, stuff it into a bag, undo a few plastic pipes used for internal snow shedding support that can be bundled and stored aboard, and then take off down the channel. As it stands now we have to unscrew a mess of 2x4's, fold up the canopy, then hump it all up to the parking lot before we can take off. Hardly convenient...

Working with one other person, I can take my cover off, bag it, and have the bags in the lazarette in about 30 to 45 minutes. There are 3 poles made of 1" EMT that I just leave lying on the boat deck.

Scott Welch
CoreFour Inc.

Working with one other person, I can take my cover off, bag it, and have the bags in the lazarette in about 30 to 45 minutes. There are 3 poles made of 1" EMT that I just leave lying on the boat deck.

Well now, if that's the case, our boat should get romping off down the channel in 15 to 20 minutes. Link dutifully stashed in the "stuff to buy" folder :thumb:

Well now, if that's the case, our boat should get romping off down the channel in 15 to 20 minutes. Link dutifully stashed in the "stuff to buy" folder :thumb:

Why is most things a race with most guys or I can beat that time? :confused: Race to get to the boat, race to get the canvas off, race to start the engine, race to get a way from the dock, race to get to the destination. Boating is to be fun relaxing. :facepalm: :D

Why is most things a race with most guys or I can beat that time? :confused: Race to get to the boat, race to get the canvas off, race to start the engine, race to get a way from the dock, race to get to the destination. Boating is to be fun relaxing. :facepalm: :D

:thumb::thumb::thumb: +1

Boating is to be fun relaxing.

Okay then. I'll give you a call when it's -10 degrees and you can knock down our current cover and drag it up to the parking lot while I linger over coffee at home. Oh, and you'll have to do it in the dark because we only have 8 hours of daylight in mid winter and I want a full day of boating fun and relaxation :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom