Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpseudonym View Post
sun damage to the finish alone makes up for the difference in my opinion art. My canvas and gel coat are much happier tucked away under the roof of our berth. Ours is also surrounded on all sides with screen material that keeps the birds and their deposits away too.

I had originally budgeted monthly detailing. With the covered and enclosed berth that amounts to 10 minutes with a web broom and garden hose.
agreed!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #22

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
[QUOTE=Arctic Traveller;146596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
I'm glad to hear your satisfied with your cover, as Chris built my new one. He insists it will survive the winter in Juneau, but I can tell you it will be a challenge. One issue I see is that he attaches the cover to the hand rail stanchions, which are simply screwed into wood.

So, how has you cover held up? How is it attached?
Well, he is a pretty confident guy, and he's certainly stood behind his product.

One note is that the hard rail tie-downs are basically to stop it from flapping around. The holding down is done with the drawstring around the hull. My cover has held up well, although there are some wear points. It's not perfect for shedding snow, but it's not bad either.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Same here. The boat cover sounds good if you don't have the chance to use your boat often. But I like the well-protected, covered slip if given the choice.
Not an option when you have a 60 footer with a 30 foot air draft :-(

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Might not work with nylon fabric though (as those pictured appear to be made of) because it's so light weight...ours is made of a heavy coated material about 4 times thicker than normal tarp material.
The Lohmann covers are made with a special fabric that he has manufactured. It's a very tough synthetic canvas, sort of like sunbrella but quite harsh. Tough as nails and ripstop too.

Scot Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
The Lohmann covers are made with a special fabric that he has manufactured. It's a very tough synthetic canvas, sort of like sunbrella but quite harsh. Tough as nails and ripstop too.
Thanks.

On his site he mentions the drawstring going under the swim grid and under the bow, which would keep the wind from getting underneath. For very windy locations he can sew in a couple straps that go under the vessel which would be great for those who are on the hard.

I foresee a day in midwinter when we can undo this kind of canopy, stuff it into a bag, undo a few plastic pipes used for internal snow shedding support that can be bundled and stored aboard, and then take off down the channel. As it stands now we have to unscrew a mess of 2x4's, fold up the canopy, then hump it all up to the parking lot before we can take off. Hardly convenient...

The only covered slips in our marina are owner built...too much in potential liability claims due to 4' snowfalls for the marina to build them!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #26

Quote:
I foresee a day in midwinter when we can undo this kind of canopy, stuff it into a bag, undo a few plastic pipes used for internal snow shedding support that can be bundled and stored aboard, and then take off down the channel. As it stands now we have to unscrew a mess of 2x4's, fold up the canopy, then hump it all up to the parking lot before we can take off. Hardly convenient...
Working with one other person, I can take my cover off, bag it, and have the bags in the lazarette in about 30 to 45 minutes. There are 3 poles made of 1" EMT that I just leave lying on the boat deck.

Scott Welch
CoreFour Inc.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Working with one other person, I can take my cover off, bag it, and have the bags in the lazarette in about 30 to 45 minutes. There are 3 poles made of 1" EMT that I just leave lying on the boat deck.
Well now, if that's the case, our boat should get romping off down the channel in 15 to 20 minutes. Link dutifully stashed in the "stuff to buy" folder
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Well now, if that's the case, our boat should get romping off down the channel in 15 to 20 minutes. Link dutifully stashed in the "stuff to buy" folder
Why is most things a race with most guys or I can beat that time? Race to get to the boat, race to get the canvas off, race to start the engine, race to get a way from the dock, race to get to the destination. Boating is to be fun relaxing.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Why is most things a race with most guys or I can beat that time? Race to get to the boat, race to get the canvas off, race to start the engine, race to get a way from the dock, race to get to the destination. Boating is to be fun relaxing.
+1

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Boating is to be fun relaxing.
Okay then. I'll give you a call when it's -10 degrees and you can knock down our current cover and drag it up to the parking lot while I linger over coffee at home. Oh, and you'll have to do it in the dark because we only have 8 hours of daylight in mid winter and I want a full day of boating fun and relaxation
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I too have a cover made by Chris Lohman. Made in late 2006, I had a shed then, and first used when we moved to our no shed location in fall 2007. There are no sheds here at all and I don't think ever will be.

I did build a 2x4" frame, full length ridge support, after the first year. There was enough snow load, and of course the rain right after, that the poles punched through.

If you stay with the poles only, consider getting him to add a couple more with the reinforcing he does and put 1/2 rounds of 2" PVC pipe atop the poles to spread the load. After the punch through the PVC 1/2 rounds worked for the remainder of the winter untill the cover came off and repairs could be done. The pvc pieces were about 16" long

There is no way, at least for me, that it is a 1-2 hours assembly/disassembly process anymore. That's fine since we don't stay home so there is no more winter use.

The cover does a good job of protecting the boat. It is an older boat with a lot of varnish and without the cover I doubt I could keep it up anymore.

There were a couple problems that Chris dealt with including last year with a sewn seam that let go. He did it no charge even though the cover is now 6 yrs.

I'm happy with the cover and his service. I don't mean this to be an ad but with the O.P. just thought that word of a good product should be passed around.

There are actually a lot of his covers in this area and known to me.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
My slip neighbor here in Port Townsend had a cover made up on Salt Spring island, I believe he only used it for one winter.. the movement of the cover was really hard on the varnished caps and rails. The cover really color faded quickly during that winter. When we got out current boat we kept it in covered moorage for the first winter, but when spring came the Admiral said in no certain terms was she spending time on the boat that wasn't in the sun. As far as low maintenance goes.... having to scrub the spider poop off all the time was a pain in the butt... So much for 20 years of dreaming of having a boat under cover!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Doesn't covering one's boat and thus requiring a lengthy time to remove the cover imply one isn't using the boat frequently? Don't want to spend hours getting ready and then securing a boat for a daysail or even a weekend trip, let alone spending an afternoon on the boat at the marina/mooring. Perhaps I lack empathy being in an around-the-year boating area.

Christmas Eve 2011:

Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Perhaps I lack empathy being in an around-the-year boating area.
Bingo

Kitimat, where I live, means "People of the Snow" in the Tsimshian First Nations language. You know it has to snow here a lot when this spot gets singled out on the whole coast of BC for that designation.

Being 60 miles from the outer coast at the head of Douglas Channel means we are much more affected by the colder temperatures in the interior of BC. Combine this location with over 7 feet of rain a year and 5 months a year with average low temperatures below freezing, and it can add up to 4 foot a day snowfalls followed by bucketing rain.

People around the Great Lakes whine about "lake effect" snowfalls...here we have Pacific Ocean effect snowfalls.

During winter I shovel our driveway and my mother-in-laws next door in the morning before work, then I walk my route of 535 houses as a letter carrier through the snow, then shovel the driveways again before bed.

If we get a couple days of sunshine after weeks of constant rain and snow, it would be nice to make using the boat a less onerous chore.

Does that spark a glimmer of empathy within you, to see why I wouldn't want to add shovelling off the boat to my snow day list of chores?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Curious. What kind of shovels/tools does one use to remove snow from one's boat without damaging its finish?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #36
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Bingo

Kitimat, where I live, means "People of the Snow" in the Tsimshian First Nations language. You know it has to snow here a lot when this spot gets singled out on the whole coast of BC for that designation.

Being 60 miles from the outer coast at the head of Douglas Channel means we are much more affected by the colder temperatures in the interior of BC. Combine this location with over 7 feet of rain a year and 5 months a year with average low temperatures below freezing, and it can add up to 4 foot a day snowfalls followed by bucketing rain.

People around the Great Lakes whine about "lake effect" snowfalls...here we have Pacific Ocean effect snowfalls.

During winter I shovel our driveway and my mother-in-laws next door in the morning before work, then I walk my route of 535 houses as a letter carrier through the snow, then shovel the driveways again before bed.

If we get a couple days of sunshine after weeks of constant rain and snow, it would be nice to make using the boat a less onerous chore.

Does that spark a glimmer of empathy within you, to see why I wouldn't want to add shovelling off the boat to my snow day list of chores?
Who's whining now!!! Just joking!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Curious. What kind of shovels/tools does one use to remove snow from one's boat without damaging its finish?
Boat cover
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #38
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I use a dust pan, broom and/or brush. Most of the time its just banging the canvass/tarp with my hand. If the cover is steep the snow tends to sluff off. The Eagle is heated at 70 degree during the winter and put off so much heat the snow turns to slush.

To keep from moving the canvas/tarps are held tight, which is the reason I use bungee cords to allow some strechting when required. There are some areas that the varnish needs replacing/coating each year. However, it's no near as bad if the teak was not protected.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
What kind of shovels/tools does one use to remove snow from one's boat without damaging its finish? -markpierce

I had dust on my boat once or twice. I used a feather duster, being careful not to dislodge the 3-strand twisted dental floss boat lines. (Hey, they're hard to secure to those big cleats!!)

Does that count?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Update on my Lohman cover

Well, I thought I would give an update on my new Lohman boat cover. On the good side, Chris came up and fitted it to the boat (I paid his round trip airfare to Alaska), and it seems to be a reasonably good fit, but that's about all the good things I can say at this point. As we were fitting it, I noticed thousands of needle holes that stream daylight through. He said not to worry, within six months they would all fill with dirt and stop leaking. OK, not what I expected but not the end of the world. While installing it, he noticed he didn't supply enough support poles, and told me to go to Home Depo to buy more (at my expense so far). OK, not what I expected since he said all supports were included, but not the end of the world. Also while installing, he noticed that there were no openings for the fenders, but that there were long zippers 6 feet away that were installed in the wrong place. He took a knife and cut slits in the new cover and said to have my local canvas maker repair it (he would supply the zippers, but no mention of who pays the sewing bill). OK, I"m beginning to get a little perturbed. The following day, Chris was gone and it began to rain. Fully expecting to really enjoy the new cover, I was instead horrified to discover there was not a single dry spot on the boat. The cover leaks profusely, not only from the thousands of needle holes, but from all the zippers and other openings. Water streams out of them. There are flaps over them, but the wind simply blows the water under the flap. Then there are numerous places where the cover goes around my radar arch, with no possible way to make it water tight, resulting in steady streams of water running from the ridge line into the holes. Yesterday I had to work on adjusting the support poles and I had to put on full rain gear to avoid getting soaked while under the cover. When I called him to discuss the issues, his his first response was "I get these calls all the time", like that should make me feel better? His solution for the zipper flaps was to use DUCT TAPE on them. SERIOUSLY??? Today he sent me an email, and said I should rig tarps under the cover for the next six months. SERIOUSLY?? I spent $7000.00 for a cover that needs duct tape and tarps to keep my boat dry? Prior to the Lohamn cover I had a local canvas guy make enough pieces to cover about half the boat, and when it's up the decks are 100% dry, (none of the zippers leak a bit) but I wanted to cover the entire boat, so I invested a lot of money in the new cover. In his defense, I have little doubt that when I send it back he will attempt to fix the issues, but my original plan was to be able to re-finish the wood under a dry cover. Not to mention the time and cost to ship almost 200lbs of cover round trip to and from Canada and all the customs fees. At this time, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, based in no small amount on the feed back I have read in this thread, but I must say at this point, I'm not the least impressed with the cover's ability to protect my boat.

Further update: I just called him to discuss how we can make repairs and was shocked at his response. He began screaming at me and told me he would not talk to me for six months. He said I needed to read his email in which he recommended I string tarps under the cover, and then he said don't call back and hung up on me! Wow, I'm a bit shocked at the moment..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new cover.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	18917