Blisters noted on survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The amount of verbiage generated with blisters showing up on survey, and the vast divergence from reality in that verbiage makes blisters a red herring, with absolutely no solution to be had via the WWW. Comments ranging from "do nothing, it's cosmetic" to "the sky is falling" would lead me to listen carefully to the marine professionals in your area regarding this particular boat's situation. Then, act accordingly. Your money, your choice. And remember, if you're concerned now, the person you will sell this boat to in the future will be concerned as well.

Regards,

Pete

The million dollar question is "who are" the marine professionals in an area?

When I bought my boat I only looked at survey, not at a real estimate for repair from a good boatyard....never again....

1000 blisters

I bought a Nimble Kodiak with at least 1000 small blisters. The boat was in the ocean year Year round for years in Southern waters. I brought it to Massachusetts on a trailer. Over the winter ALL THE BLISTERS DISAPPEARED. ?. They never returned leaving it in the ocean 5 months per season

"The million dollar question is "who are" the marine professionals in an area?"

Putting one block under a keel for winter storage?

Most likely, but maybe not ...

Like cancer, by the time you notice the symptoms.........

Not yet. Survey and sea trial is this Friday. Was delayed because the current owner wanted to do one more cruise before selling. We shall see . . .

JKnox - while fairly new to this TF group, I am not new to Willards. I own a 1970 W36, and am moderator of the Yahoo! Group Willard Boat Owners Group that has been around for 20+ years. As you can imagine, blisters have been extensively discussed over the years - perhaps 100's of posts with extensive research on mil-spec driven changes to resin formulations, etc. Feel free to come over and join. All Willards at the time were semi-custom, meaning they weren't built until there was an owner.

In very general terms, blisters come in two flavors: below waterline, and above waterline. In my observation, above waterline blisters are mostly associated with late 1970's early/mid 1980's, and associated with changes to resin - there are a number of Willards of this vintage with moderate above waterline blisters (versus severe case of pox that looks like an inverted golf ball - Uniflite). Below waterline blisters are very common - vast majority of Willards of all vintages have/had them, including mine (at least 100). I received a survey credit when I purchased her, I will pass that along to the next owner when she sells. Simple. I do not know of a Willard that has had any structural damage due to blisters.

These are relatively thick-hulled slow boats. The only downside to blisters I can tell is when you haul and Capt. Obvious comes up and say "Gee, your boat has blisters!"

Blisters are a non-issue for me as long as the valuation reflects a respectable credit so I can pass along during resale. I will go a step further and say that anyone who is very concerned about blisters should not buy a fiberglass boat let alone a Willard. Weebles, my W36, currently sits in Ensenada undergoing a full refit where I can have a full bottom job done for a very reasonable cost. I won't do it as there are better places to spend my money. But that's me.

Good luck with your sea trial.

Well, I don't see her on Yachtworld any more. Any update?

I counter offered based on survey and seller rejected. As far as I know the seller has removed it from the market and is back in Campbell River with the boat.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a reluctant seller. Good future searching,there is always another out there to suit your brief.

There is always another boat. Have fun and keep looking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom