Blister on topside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusbet

Veteran Member
At some point in the last two months, something broke through the fiberglass on the back of our aft cabin.* It left about ten little nicks.* There is now a five inch blister in that area with the nicks in the center.

Before we can have this looked at and fixed what would be the recommendation to stop any further damage?* Duct tape?

Chip, I don't think a picture would work as well as duct tape
biggrin.gif

The Eagle roof has a non skip on the roof that blisters during the winter.* I break the blister, and let dry completely.* Using West System epoxy with number 4 additives filler and wall nut shells mixed in fill the blister area, let dry and paint to match.*

Luckily the actual fiber glass protective*has not been damage, so no leaks/damage.**I think when the the non skid was applied they did not rough the surface, and/or applied*to thin in some area**The center of the blister usually has some crack in the non skid.* * *

shrimp wrote:
Chip, I don't think a picture would work as well as duct tape
biggrin.gif
*If I was looking for advice on fixing chips and blisters in my boat's finish, I'd listen closely to a guy named Chip.* :-D

Now you're gettin' the picture.
smile.gif

-- Edited by Anode on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 05:58:40 AM

I'm having some Internet connectivity issues with my computer. I can access wifi but my notebook stopped recognizing the connection. My iPhone works but I don't know if there is a way to send a photo from the iPhone to this forum. In any case I will post a photo as soon as I can figure it out.

Has your boat been painted or do you have the original gel coat?

We have the original gelcoat. We have mixed opinions whether it can be brought back to life or it is time for a repainting. I patched some screw holes with marine Tex before I knew what I was doing. We have numerous chips that need attention. Generally though the gel coat looks good.

I did not mean to say"repainting" but rather that it be painted.

I suspect your blister is an internal problem with something going on with the resin and not from outside moisture. It could be a localized one time event or a sign of more to come. I don't know any history on the Monk's of that vintage.
Open the blister and clean up the area. Is there liquid? Is it water or a dark oily liquid? Let it drain and dry. It may take a few days. I'd leave it exposed to the air and not cover. There are a number repair methods similar to what Phil described depending on the extent of damage. Let us know what you find.

I do most of the epoxying, painting and varnish in late July, August and early September when its the dries as you want as much of the moisture dried out as possible.* If you seal in the moisture it will probable create a blister at the next closest weak spot.* So dry it out as much as possible.

You might want to do a temporary fix to prevent more*damage,**realizing it's only a temporary fix.*In the Dead of winter in the PNW I have done this many times and did a permanent fix later in the summer.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 17th of June 2011 12:04:50 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom