Old 04-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
The answers you seek will not be found on a internet forum. There are as many opinions about blisters, how to repair them, and what causes them to develop, as there are posters.

Find some people in real life - pick their brains and decide if you can trust them. Remember this - there are as many different approaches to the problem (if it is a problem) as there are people willing to take your money.

I have never seen a boat sunk by blisters, but I have seen owners financially sunk by them.

Mike
Good advise and here's more. Ask the seller to be responsible for the blister job or split some of the costs. Do a hold back at closing. How bad does the seller want to sell? He can't hide the blisters for the next potential buyer if you walk.

We were on a 1985, 42 trawler the other night and the discussion came up. They split the cost of the blister job, $6,500/each when they bought their boat. He thought he got a good deal, in his opinion for the repairs were done right.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook, Tx
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader
Thanks to all for responding (except maybe guru who contributed to my fitful sleep last night! ) I have found that when it comes to boats (especially "good old boats") that there is no substitute for experience but of course everyone's experience is different.
Deidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: pittsfield, nh
those tiny blisters are often just epoxy filled (epoxy cream and a putty knife). Barrier coats are just a layer of epoxy which is less porous than polyester resin. one coat of a thick epoxy paint......
pauloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Pensacola
I wouldn't walk away. Be cautious of having the sellers yard do the work. You cannot check the progress if your in a different location. I would negotiate the repairs into the cost and do the work at your preferred yard. The survey should indicate if they are "cosmetic" or structural.

My boat had small blisters. I don't worry about it.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloman View Post
those tiny blisters are often just epoxy filled (epoxy cream and a putty knife). Barrier coats are just a layer of epoxy which is less porous than polyester resin. one coat of a thick epoxy paint......
http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20120201.pdf

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Interprotect 2000E is a unique two part epoxy coating, developed to protect new and used fiberglass hulls from water absorption. Due to its anti-corrosive
properties it is also ideal for use on metal.
* Contains Micro-plates
® for extra protection.
* Excellent adhesion to fiberglass, composite, metal and wood.
* Long overcoating times between coats add versatility & flexibility in a boatyard environment.
* Compatible with Interlux primers, antifoulings and Interfill fairing compounds.

Microplates
® in Interprotect 2000E create an overlapping barrier to eliminate any direct path for water migration.

Number of Coats
Substrate priming before application of fairing compound: 1. For Blister Prevention & Anti-corrosive system: 4-5cts by

roller, 2-3cts by spray as required to reach 10 mils DFT .
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
For what it's worth, there was a full cored boat next to me here in Stuart, FL, that was sent out for a bottom job, and blisters penetrating into the glass were found in quite a few places. The guy contracted for the job ground the blisters down and did a power-wash daily for over 30 days, saying that removal of salt was the critical factor, because salt was what held the moisture. The, he used nearly 200 gallons of alcohol to force dry the hull over a period of weeks. He apparently has had previous success with this process, and the boat came back to the marina after about 7 weeks.... sold a couple of days ago. Moisture readings on the survey were in line, by the way.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

been here, done this... imagining something much worse and more expensive.... ah well, still waiting for the written survey with moisture readings. What were we thinking to schedule it on a friday?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidra View Post

...ah well, still waiting for the written survey with moisture readings.
Man! Where were these gals when I was a young man? Geez!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I agree with Blue Heron, get a reduction and have the work done; the Yard is responsible to you and the job is not shortcut to save $. Problem is,each blister has a life of its own, the work is hard to predict and cost until you get grinding.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #30
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The problem is not water or salt in the FG, it's uncured resin. The guy who washed every day with water has the right idea. The best way is to simply use a blowtorch, but for some reason yards these days don't like that process. I post cured mine with the HotVac system. Peeled, post-cured, then relaminated. About $30k 10 years ago. Hotvac Boat Hull Drying, Osmosis Treatment, Osmocure Not a blister since.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
FF
Guru

The best way is to simply use a blowtorch, but for some reason yards these days don't like that process

Oak has a burn rate of 100, normal GRP has a burn rate of 500.

This is the reason boat yards are reluctant to blowtorch a boat.

For the USCG to carry more than 6,, FR (Fire Retardant) resin is required with a burn rate of 100 or less.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
My boat is 38 yrs old. It has some blisters, but they are the same now as they were when I bought it 11 yrs ago. I love my blisters. They are quite small - none are large - I gave them names. They are my children. Leave them alone I say.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #33
Guru

Lol Peter
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
My boat is 38 yrs old. It has some blisters, but they are the same now as they were when I bought it 11 yrs ago. I love my blisters. They are quite small - none are large - I gave them names. They are my children. Leave them alone I say.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

That really did make me "laugh out loud" ha... Well I can breath now. Just finished reading the survey. Approx. 75 blisters per side, all 1 - 3 inches.... I HATE blisters. To make the decision even harder, other than the teak decks (yes, we already had that figured in) and the blisters, the surveyor calles it in "above average condition, better than is usual for a boat of this age" How's that for a moral dilemma? Stinkin' boats!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Guru

Deidra,I`ve done both decks and osmosis. That`s a lot of blisters, too many to name and love, a lot of repairs. Is there evidence of previous osmosis repair, if so factor that into your decision.
I had blister work done, later located the main PO, who told me he had too, maybe not done well enough, maybe not every fix is forever.
Did you get a quote? What`s the owner say about allowances? If you believe it and the decks are fixable, does the rest of the boat justify purchase at an adjusted price?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Deidra,I`ve done both decks and osmosis. That`s a lot of blisters, too many to name and love, a lot of repairs. Is there evidence of previous osmosis repair, if so factor that into your decision.
I had blister work done, later located the main PO, who told me he had too, maybe not done well enough, maybe not every fix is forever.
Did you get a quote? What`s the owner say about allowances? If you believe it and the decks are fixable, does the rest of the boat justify purchase at an adjusted price?
After haulout the previous owner admitted that he had had blisters repaired before. We just got the written survey today. The surveyor's attitude seems to be that all Taiwanese boats of the 80's will have some blisters and a "blister maintenance program" is in order... I'm actually suprised. The main reason we went with this guy is that he's one hulluva critic. He ripped our sailboat apart when we had it surveyed and because of him we got a really great price. Again when we were selling the sailboat I got a little hot with him because the told a prospective buyer that it "hadn't surveyed well" previously (but he had no idea the blood, sweat, tears and dollars we had put in it since then) Ah well, I'm bamboozled and have to sleep on it.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #38
Guru

Blisters are only a problem if you can see em!

Get the boat etched and repainted.

Then enjoy it!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Blisters are only a problem if you can see em!
Mostly that`s right, but I recently saw a sailboat likely to be a write off, osmosis had penetrated through the hull, the interior fitout was fixed so removing it to repair would have been a huge job.
When my boat was done some of ground dished areas were getting deep, the shipwright told me on rare occasions they have to grind right through inside and form up a repair.
I`m sure Deidra`s problems are manageable, nothing like that rare extreme case.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=BruceK; "on rare occasions they have to grind right through inside and form up a repair."

Yikes,your not trying to scare us are you Bruce?

I tracked down the OO, not just the PO of our boat, and she told me that they had extensive work done at the Bobbin Head yard(the spiritual home of the IG's ) not long after they bought it in 1981.This consisted of a couple of months on the hard drying out etc.The full Monty, so to speak.

Below is a picture of our last haul out.
Attached Thumbnails
boat slip 008.jpg  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote