Black water in bilge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Defender has the santiflex for $9.90.
West marine is $18.49 a foot"

"Worst Marine" gets away with this by having walk in locations,

Defender requires planning ahead.

Someone said the hot tub hose is the same. Is this true? The Lowe's kind.

This is definitely NOT a job to worry much about hose pricing. Choose only from the two options that Peggie offered.

-Chris

There should be writing on the new hoses...it will tell me whether it'll last a while. Still curious to know the make/model/age of your toilet(s)

I have raritans that are around 5 years old. At least that's what the last owner told me. Not sure the model but they are electric.

"Defender has the santiflex for $9.90.
West marine is $18.49 a foot"

"Worst Marine" gets away with this by having walk in locations,

Defender requires planning ahead.

FWIW, I think WM offers a service that's sometimes worth what they charge. I know it costs a lot for them to stock one each of everything in the free world (well, OK, maybe each store isn't THAT well stocked)...

But OTOH, when someone needs a part for an unplanned project -- like something just broke, and the fix needs to happen RIGHT NOW! -- a 20% mark-up (or whatever) over MSRP isn't always all that important. (Yes, planning ahead is better... when it's possible...)

And they have to pay those pesky clerks...

IOW, I don't begrudge them trying to make a profit...

If our closest local WM closed, that'd be about 15 people out of a job...

-Chris

I have raritans that are around 5 years old. At least that's what the last owner told me. Not sure the model but they are electric.

Raritan has 3 electric toilets (4 if you count the electrified version of the manual PH II). You need to know which one(s) you have because you need the owners manual(s) to know how to maintain them and identify parts. Can you post a photo? Two photos if they're different toilets...

Raritan has 3 electric toilets (4 if you count the electrified version of the manual PH II). You need to know which one(s) you have because you need the owners manual(s) to know how to maintain them and identify parts. Can you post a photo? Two photos if they're different toilets...

IMG_1544.JPGIMG_1541.JPG
This is what I have. I can't find any data palate so I was going on what the previous owner told me.

They appear to be Raritan SeaEras...you can download the owners from here:
Raritan SeaEra owners manual

However, I'm not sure about the one with brown discharge hose...it appears to be 1" hose, which only Jabsco uses. If you'd like to discuss your whole system in more specific detail than is practical in open forum, send me a private message...I'm always glad to help.

fishpcb and Peggie,Looking at the base, the toilet on the right (dark hose)looks much like the(noisy)Jabsco we just fitted.

fishpcb and Peggie,Looking at the base, the toilet on the right (dark hose)looks much like the(noisy)Jabsco we just fitted.

It is a very loud head. Plus water only comes out about half of the ring. It has not been used much the last couple years. This head has new tank and hose so I've been working on the old one and replacing the hose as soon as it gets here.

Sounds like Jabsco! They are reliable so don`t replace it without trying to fix the water supply issue. Might be quieter with full water supply.

Sounds like Jabsco! They are reliable so don`t replace it without trying to fix the water supply issue. Might be quieter with full water supply.

I'm going to flush the line to the bowl good and see if that helps.
It works good just sound like a wood chipper.

Like you I took the PO's word for it that they're Raritan toilets...but on second look, I seriously question whether either one is...or is only about 5 years old. You should be able to remove the cover on the motor/pump assemblies...the make/model should be on the assembly. I"d bet a dollar they'll both turn out to be Jabsco 37010 Jabsco 37010 owners manual

I don't have a clue what that dark hose is, I just know it definitely needs to go!

Last edited:
Like you I took the PO's word for it that they're Raritan toilets...but on second look, I seriously question whether either one is...or is only about 5 years old. You should be able to remove the cover on the motor/pump assemblies...the make/model should be on the assembly. I"d bet a dollar they'll both turn out to be Jabsco 37010 Jabsco 37010 owners manual

I don't have a clue what that dark hose is, I just know it definitely needs to go!

It has the same bolt pattern as the Jabsco 37010 so I guess thats what I have.
Thanks again

I have the exact same as the one on the left picture and it is fitted with a jabsco pump. I know it as I just changed the pump. Maybe pump for the raritan is the same I do not know but mine is exactly this one.

L.

Raritan purposely designed the SeaEra to have the same mounting bolt pattern as the Jabsco 37010, so that doesn't help us identify which you have.

Raritan purposely designed the SeaEra to have the same mounting bolt pattern as the Jabsco 37010, so that doesn't help us identify which you have.

I will pull the cover from the pump and see if I can find anything about it.
I'm out of town for the week but when I get back it's the hose changing and other head maintenance projects.
It's funny everyone is busy when you have these types of projects to work on.

If you can't find any info on the pump housing, I should be able to ID it from a photo.

Do not under any circumstances go with recommendations from people without real knowledge of these systems. These hoses are not cheap but buy the right stuff and it will do its job well and for many years.

Buy the wrong stuff and you will soon be redoing it and if really lucky after the hose fails
and falls apart you will have a bilge full of sewage.

Yes........I know.........it's been discussed before, PVC pipe that is.

I first changed to PVC pipe.......yes, the same stuff used in homes, designed not to stink, last forever............over 30 years ago in my old Hunter 30 sailboat. My Silverton 40 stunk when I purchased it in 2005. My first task was to rip out all the big dollar, aged stinky waste hoses and replace them with rigid PVC pipes. The total cost for PVC including fittings, cleaner & glue is less than it costs to take your wife/other to dinner.

There are two weak links in using PVC. First is that short (very short) lengths of hoses are required to get from the heads to the pipes. The second deals with fitting strength. I overcome weak PVC elbows by using PVC (grey) electrical sweeps. They are strong, durable and of course inexpensive.

And no, I do not have a financial relationship with PVC pipe manufacturers or vendors.

It took me about 4 hours but I got the holding tank hose replaced today. Also the pump out hose and one more hose complete. I used the santiflex hose and it was very easy to work with. It made all the 90 turns easy and was very flexible. The hardest part was removing the old and very stiff hose that appeared to be 20 plus year old.
Now have to let it air out and we will be back in business.

If you still have residual odor after letting the boat air out, PureAyre PureAyre will get rid of it. It's [FONT=&quot]not an air freshener...It's the only product I've found that eliminates ANY odor. Not only will it get of diesel and residual odor left behind by stinking sanitation hoses, but PureAyre is also rated for use around food...which means you can even use it to get rid of the odor left in your fridge by the steaks or fish that spoiled when a natural disaster took out shore power for 3 days. Also does a great job on musty PFDs and foulies.

How to use it:
You can never eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source...'cuz as long as the source continues to exist, it'll continue to generate new odor. So first you have to find and fix any leak or replace the stinky hoses (which you'v[FONT=&quot]e [FONT=&quot]done)[/FONT][/FONT], then thoroughly clean the site, including every nook and cranny ...a good scrubbing with detergent and water. Mop up an excess water and let the air dry till it's at least only damp...no standing puddles. Now you're ready to eliminate the residual odor. Use PureAyre full strength...I'd use pump garden spray jug set to a fine mist. Spray every surface, nook and cranny...just a light spray. Do NOT rinse...just let it dry with hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. If the soft goods in the cabin have picked up the odor, just spraying it on the surface won't do much...you need to spray enough on carpets and rugs to penetrate to the backing...enough to penetrate cushions to the middle from both sides..not enough to make 'em drippy, just enough to get into the cushion....you'll prob'ly have to remove the covers and send 'em to be cleaned. Again, just let everything dry. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot.

A spray bottle won't go very far...plus, it's cheaper in the long run to buy it by the gallon...it has an indefinite shelf life, so just keep it on hand.[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]Amazon has it...[FONT=&quot]t[/FONT]h[FONT=&quot]e "h[FONT=&quot]ouse[FONT=&quot]hold" version works as well as the more e[FONT=&quot]xpensive "mari[FONT=&quot]ne" version[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT].

[FONT=&quot]Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Regarding West Marine pricing, in RI, being so close to Defender, West Marine will price match Defender prices for the exact product. It has to be the same manufacturer, same model. Print it out on your printer at home or just show them on your phone. I've saved lots of money that way. Also, not much planning needed when ordering from Defender, I usually get a stock order the next day without requesting next day air or paying for it!

Last edited:
"Also, not much planning needed when ordering from Defender, I usually get a stock order the next day without requesting next day air or paying for it!"

Defender is in CT.

RI is right next to CT.

You get stuff overnight by ground, not by air.

Yes, I figured that out. One of the 3 good things about living in RI. The others being Narragansett Bay and no tax on boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom