Old 07-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Are Black Streaks Related Quality of Wax

I had a new wax guy this year as I switched winter storage yards. I now have a constant level of black streaks that I'm chasing above the rub rail.

They had a different guy do the hull and I'm not getting any in this area.

So I have to wonder if
A) he used crap material
B) he compounded it only and didn't put any wax on after
C) which I doubt, this is normal with quality wax.

I've never had streaks to this level in the 17 years I've owned the boat, so before I go and shake some trees at the yard I thought I'd get everyone's opinion.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Just a thought, since you changed storage yards, I'd be suspect of the air, i.e.; was Keeper IV near a railyard, airport, busy road, etc. this winter? A few years ago the flight path at Jacksonville NAS changed and all the boats in the marina had a lot of black on them. The locals attributed it to the planes and jets from the NAS.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Just a thought, since you changed storage yards, I'd be suspect of the air, i.e.; was Keeper IV near a railyard, airport, busy road, etc. this winter? A few years ago the flight path at Jacksonville NAS changed and all the boats in the marina had a lot of black on them. The locals attributed it to the planes and jets from the NAS.
Larry, I keep the boat behind my house, that said, yes I'm under a flight path for the regional airport. The boat has been here for three years and I didn't have this issue issue in years one and two.

I'm currently cruising up on Northern LK Huron and was out looking at the boat this morning. That's what prompted this. The streaks are all showing on an area that I cleaned just 4-5 days ago.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Larry, I keep the boat behind my house, that said, yes I'm under a flight path for the regional airport. The boat has been here for three years and I didn't have this issue issue in years one and two.

I'm currently cruising up on Northern LK Huron and was out looking at the boat this morning. That's what prompted this. The streaks are all showing on an area that I cleaned just 4-5 days ago.
A different wax/protectant might make streaks more likely. You say you cleaned the area recently? What did you use in the way of cleaners? Some cleaners remove caranuba wax but might not bother some of the polymers.
Is water beading up on the area in question?
Curious,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Guru

There is a beading but not the type you'd expect from a newly waxed boat.
I use Simonize carwash soap so I would be really surprised if the wax is being damaged.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Funny, we have that problem this year, and yes, we are under the flight path for TF Greene in RI. They did some runway work and the wind has been hard from the south, so the planes are now right over us. Same wax, Collinite paste as always, but lots of black streaks. We all blame the planes. It's not easy to remove totally, I had to compound and re-wax some areas.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote