Bimini Frame Strengthening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bohans

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ohana
Vessel Make
DeFever 72
HI Everyone

Am looking for advice/opinions on how you would reduce flex in the bimini frame on my boat.

I have for three years now had 1000 watts of solar panels mounted on the bimini frame. Has been great and worked well, not moving at all despite strong winds etc. I am adding another 400 watts. Total weight is now going to be about 100kg.

The frame is about 4.2m wide and 3.6m in length so is quite a large size.

The frame is 1.6mm wall, 31mm diameter stainless steel.

The two middle arches flex too much and I am looking for options to stop flex.

On option is simply replace the two middle arches with 38mm diameter framing. This would apparently handle the weight no trouble.

The other option is to easily add front supports to the deck then run two longitudinal (bow to aft radar arch) supports. This gives the frame some cross section and distribute the weight better.

Any other ideas?

Appreciate any ideas which will help. Thanks,

Pictures would help...

I think you need to do both options to take 100 kg of weight on top. Increase the main member size, put in a new forward support and add some fore/aft members.

It isn't the dead weight you have to worry about, it is the side to side loads as the boat rolls combined with wind from the side. Some gusset type members would help with that.

David

Thanks David. I agree and this is likely the direction I will take. Thanks

Hmm, it could easily end up quite cluttered.:)

Have you thought of making a custom hardtop from scratch, with just the panels as the rooftop? With some curvature and truss-style bracing, and a few 50mm support posts at different angles you could get a lot of solar capacity that is quite solid. Some canvas laced underneath to the trusses would neaten it up.

Why keep the bimini at all if all the members are to be replaced by larger sizes?

The problem with an all solar panel hardtop is that they usually look too square on a boat. I have seen several that just don’t look right because they are so square. Not much on most boats are really square especially up on top. There is a 47 Bayliner for sale now on Yachtworld that they replaced the bimini with all solar panels. I wouldn’t buy the boat due to that. I am sure that it works great and supplies a lot of power, it just looks wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom