Old 04-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #21

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsea View Post
Whoops. Forgot to mention that I have a whale bilge pump located in the compartment.
Whew ... problem solved ...

Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #22

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsea View Post
Is anyone aware of a ignition proof 1 or 2" 12v fan? Maybe 5-10 cfm.
Check them out, if anybody knows where to find the fans it would be Fisheries Supply ... Fisheries Supply - Marine Supplies Since 1928 Page ... I often go there for the ideas proven on the working boats. They also carry hard to find replacement/repair parts/kits.

Another idea ... you probably can find a cooling fan used in some electric/electronic equipment indented for installation in ER. The marine battery charger comes to mind ... one on my boat has two small 1 or 2 inch square fans installed. They come in various sizes, from 1 to 6 inches, and with various air flow capacity ... you just need to track the one that works for you.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
You don't need a fan to clear out the hydrogen.

It's lighter than air.

Any hole in the top area of the compartment will bleed off accumulated hydrogen.

It won't solve the damp or the mildew though

Before I compromised my transom I'd get rid of the hydrogen and spray a dilute bleach on the walls occasionally to kill the mold.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The easiest answer might be to switch to AGM batteries. And as mentioned add a high water alarm and a high capacity bilge pump as an emergency back up.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The easiest answer might be to switch to AGM batteries. And as mentioned add a high water alarm and a high capacity bilge pump as an emergency back up.
Yes to all.

How hot does it get in this enclosed area with diesel heater running?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Ah, I forgot about the heater.

Where does the heater get its air now? Through some kind of in and out ducting?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #27
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
If you make any penetrations through the old transom SEAL those holes well. I don't know if the transom is cored and if so with what but do not allow any moiture to get into the core.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Salt Lake City, UT
Vessel Name: Kia Orana
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
The huuricane hydronic heater has been inoperative since I got the boat last fall so I do not know how warm it gets. There is all kinds of stuff in that compartment and the items immediately adjacent to the heater don't show any effects so I think I am ok. The heater exhausts out the port side. Not sure where the combustion air comes from. I will check that out. The engine and gen set lead acid start batteries are all in the same space. Hmmmmm. Looked at lots of 47's when we went through the buying process. A lot of boats had similar heaters and batteries all installed in this space.

I will definetly seal any penetrations with epoxy.

I have considered the agm solution. Still a possibility.

I have cleaned and wiped down the hull extension. Things stored in there are just continually damp at present. I would just like to solve the problem if I can do it without compromising the boats safety.
woodsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Our Hurricane heater is in the lazarette with exhaust about 18" above water line and inside loop closer to 30 ". Hard to see how your heater would work with so little head height available. The intake air comes in on the outside of the exhaust to cool it, a pipe in a pipe arrangement.

Enclosed as yours is the heat build up would be considerable and if not flooded to extinction may well cook the batteries when running. But, if as you say many Bayliners of similar size are set up this way I have just one more thing to ruminate on.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Our Hurricane heater is in the lazarette with exhaust about 18" above water line and inside loop closer to 30 ". Hard to see how your heater would work with so little head height available. The intake air comes in on the outside of the exhaust to cool it, a pipe in a pipe arrangement.

Enclosed as yours is the heat build up would be considerable and if not flooded to extinction may well cook the batteries when running. But, if as you say many Bayliners of similar size are set up this way I have just one more thing to ruminate on.
I've been meaning to ask some of those same questions, so I'll do it now...

Form the OP's description the house batteries and the furnace are both in the hull extension.

My first question is WHY???

The 4788 has a huge lazarette. The house batteries along with allot of other stuff fits there just fine. The hatches in the lazarette are gigantic as well. That means that you can stand or even kneel in the lazarette and work on things.

Why would anyone go through the trouble to relocate the house batteries? Why would anyone go through the trouble of installing a furnace all the way back there?

The logical place for a hydronic furnace on the 4788 is either in the lazarette or in the forward/outboard area of the port engine.

The hull extension would be the last place on a 4788 that I'd mount a furnace. The problem is that if the hull extension is at the same level as the transom door its only a foot or so above the water line. I cannot imagine getting the exhaust situated so that water does not ingress to the furnace.

Thinking about woodseas post that allot of Bayliners have this setup makes me think. The hull extension while sorta popular is not all that popular. A small percentage at best have this modification. North Harbor Diesel did a large percentage of these modifications. Perhaps they were behind the battery relocation and furnace installation as a sales tool to free up space in the lazarette? I don't know but it doesn't make all that much sense to me. I don't know what I'd put there but it certantly would not be the furnace, and probably not the batteries either unless I had some reason to free up space in the lazarette.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Salt Lake City, UT
Vessel Name: Kia Orana
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Sorry if I have caused some confusion. Let me describe my set up.

1) Under the lazarrette port side hatch is the Hurricane hydronic heater. The exhaust is piped to a port side through the hull. I am not sure but there may be a tube within a tube for this introducing combustion air. Up to now, I have never owned a diesel heater and this one does not work yet, so I have a lot to learn. There is still enough room in here for two good size Rubbermaid storage boxes.
2) Under the lazarrette center hatch is the gen set. It takes up most of the space.
3) Under the starboard lazarrette hatch are (2) 8D start batteries for the main engines and (1) group 27 start battery for the gen set. There is still enough room for two good size Rubbermaid storage boxes.
The above is what I meant by saying many 47's have a similar setup.

The swim step hull extention has (4) GC batteries for the house back. This is where they were located when I bought the boat last August. There are no other systems or permanently mounted things in here. I have installed a whale bilge pump. The rest of the hull extention is just storage. I am thinking of adding some additional potable water storage tanks in the neighborhood of 100 gallons but that is another topic.
Here is the short list of what is stored in the hull extension now:
2props, 1 strut, big coil of stern tie line, extra 100' chain, 15-20 gal of engine oil and misc fluids, to big plastic boxes of lines, 2 crab traps, floats, lines, four big fenders, three good size Rubbermaid boxes of misc stuff. This is after I threw away ?? Dock cart loads of stuff.

I though about relocating the (4)GC house batteries to somewhere in the lazarrette. There is pretty good room for service access in the lazarrette now but putting the GC's in there would reduce that. Besides, my hope is to make the hull extension more "pleasant" to store things in takes care of the battery gassing issue.

Hopefully this clarifies what I have at present and what I hope to accomplish. Thanks for all the input!
woodsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #32
TF Site Team

OK, Thanks for the clairification.

To solve the problem I would move your house bank back into the lazerette.

There is plenty of room to service the batteries. This also solves any hydrogen issues.

Then you can just store misc stuff in your hull extension.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #33

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I dream of adding your extension with a 5KW generator for night use in the hot summer nights.
Pura Vida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I dream of adding your extension with a 5KW generator for night use in the hot summer nights.
????? You already have a generator, or you did

Is it too loud?
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #35
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
????? You already have a generator, or you did

Is it too loud?

Kevin, I think he means a cruise genny.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Kevin, I think he means a cruise genny.
I am not a big believer in cruse generators, at least for our size boat.

In a larger boat maybe, since it supplies redundancy.

If I had too light of a load on my generator, say while sleeping, I'd move the load to the inverter.

Then to insure the batteries don't go flat overnight I'd use an autostart controller on my generator. This would be tied to a battery State of Charge meter.

When the batteries dipped to 50% the generator would start. When they reached say 90% the generator would shut down.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Myers
I would caution you in adding 100 gallons of water, that's 800 lbs far back on the boat, in addition I would do as recommended and put the extra extra batteries back in the main part of the boat.

Really nice platform setup, but I'd use it for fenders, lines and hose storage and all systems stay simple, that's a good thing on a boat! All the best.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #38
Guru

City: gulf coast
I would not penetrate the lower hull period.

Consider running some flat tubes up the transom to vent scoops or just grills. a fan could be located there way above the deck.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote