Old 02-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Bilge pumps

I have small stripper pumps in the keel, one forward and a second in the engine compartment. At present I use small Rule 360 gob manual pumps. The AC condensate drains to the bilge and these remove this and what drips through the shaft-log packing. Last fall I switched on the engine compartment pump and forgot about it and burnt up the pump, not the 1st time I forgot it but the 1st time I ruined a pump. I have always contemplated replacing these pumps with a diaphragm type that could run dry without damage. Iíve been looking at the Whale IC pumps. Has any of the forum members put these into service and what are your opinions of their suitability and longevity? Hereís a pic of the one Iíam thinking of using, not sure how much water it would leave. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517526375.525697.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	72613

Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. RC. Ever thought of putting the pump circuit on a timer? IF the only concern is forgetting to turn a pump off AND the old pumps worked satisfactorily...Just sayin'

Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
If you are looking for a stripper pump, to get the last bit of water out, this is a good pump. I put one in my last boat to get down into the keel. If you are looking for a general bilge pump, this is way too small a capacity. For that you need a centrifugal pump. High capacity but wonít pump as low as a diaphragm pump.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Guru

I want a pump that will remove as much water as possible. I have secondary pumps of much higher capacity on automatic switches mounted higher up.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. RC. Ever thought of putting the pump circuit on a timer? IF the only concern is forgetting to turn a pump off AND the old pumps worked satisfactorily...Just sayin'

I never considered that as a possibility. Do you know of a source for a timer to handle that chore? Thanks for another option RT.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. RC. You're quite welcome sir. Something like this may work:

https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/intermatic-18555

BUT please ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about before you buy and install something like this. A 110v unit may not be compatible with a 12v pump (amps involved/internal contacts etc.). I simply did a quick and dirty search for a mechanical timer. Being mechanical, you don't need 110v for the innards to work like you would for one of those fancy digital units.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. RC. You're quite welcome sir. Something like this may work:

https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/intermatic-18555

BUT please ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about before you buy and install something like this. A 110v unit may not be compatible with a 12v pump (amps involved/internal contacts etc.). I simply did a quick and dirty search for a mechanical timer. Being mechanical, you don't need 110v for the innards to work like you would for one of those fancy digital units.
We use the same basic timer for DC lighting in power modules. They last a very long time and are pretty robust.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I like your thinking on this. If you decide to go with a timer, Raritan makes a good solid state one but it only goes to 15 seconds. Donít know if thatís long enough.
http://raritaneng.com/raritan-produc...ries/raritime/
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Parks

How is the new boat coming? Did yo make an offer? Inquiring minds.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I like your thinking on this. If you decide to go with a timer, Raritan makes a good solid state one but it only goes to 15 seconds. Donít know if thatís long enough.
You can easily find all sort of adjustable timing relay

https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...Out=0&NLSCM=14

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Parks

How is the new boat coming? Did yo make an offer? Inquiring minds.
Busy playing with small boats for now. The one I had my eye on sold. Something else will come along.

Got a call from a guy who bought Possum from the insurance company. Heís got her at Apex Marine on the river. We couldnít communicate well by phone, language differences. Text messages worked ok. I need to give him the books and engine cover I have at home.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Parks

Sorry you missed it but another will come along.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: Song Bird
Vessel Model: Vicem 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have small stripper pumps in the keel, one forward and a second in the engine compartment. At present I use small Rule 360 gob manual pumps. The AC condensate drains to the bilge and these remove this and what drips through the shaft-log packing. Last fall I switched on the engine compartment pump and forgot about it and burnt up the pump, not the 1st time I forgot it but the 1st time I ruined a pump. I have always contemplated replacing these pumps with a diaphragm type that could run dry without damage. Iíve been looking at the Whale IC pumps. Has any of the forum members put these into service and what are your opinions of their suitability and longevity? Hereís a pic of the one Iíam thinking of using, not sure how much water it would leave. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Attachment 72613

I have one of these pumps which I used to empty the bilge down to the last drop. I did not install it, rather I just powered it when needed and put a length of hose on either end.

The pump worked great until there was not much water left in the hose, with any air in the line it could never lift it out of the bilge. I used clear hose, so once there was some air in the line I would have to llift the hose up To let it run down to the pump and out.

Running dry does not damage the pump.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Bilge pumps

I have heard really good things about this unit. I actually have bought one for the same purpose but havenít yet installed it.

http://www.drybilgesystem.com

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #15
FF
Guru

For folks that do not live aboard , using a counter in the pump circuit will alert you to higher pump use.

If the pump usually turns on say 15 times a week, and you arrive to see 150 , you know the pump is keeping the boat up, and its time for a good look for the water source.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have heard really good things about this unit. I actually have bought one for the same purpose but havenít yet installed it.

Wow... pretty homemade rig there. Still, he had me UNTIL the end when he said you need to have a clean bilge free of debris or you will clog the filter (and the hose). Yea, that aint gonna happen. There is just too much stuff that makes its way down there to ever be able to use such a small tube to keep it dry. Some people may be able to keep it cleaner, but there are bits of trash, the stripped ends of 1000s of wire, tape, caulk blobs... you name it. Sucks too... it looked so promising.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Not my goal to trash business from anyone but if anybody want this system it is extremely easy and cheap to do it yourself. Component are very cheap, the whole electronic control box would cost you no more than 10$ enclosure included and the pump is extremely cheap too (around 25$ on amazon). 40$ instead of 375$ is a lot of money saved...

L
Old 02-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #18

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I'll bet that my crown head in the aft cabin has one of these .I need to find it and turn it down.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #19

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: Song Bird
Vessel Model: Vicem 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Not my goal to trash business from anyone but if anybody want this system it is extremely easy and cheap to do it yourself. Component are very cheap, the whole electronic control box would cost you no more than 10$ enclosure included and the pump is extremely cheap too (around 25$ on amazon). 40$ instead of 375$ is a lot of money saved...

L
Is there a schematic for the controller somewhere OpenSource?
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Is there a schematic for the controller somewhere OpenSource?
There are tons of them, search for water level controller circuit or pump controller circuit. No rocket science, a probe, an IC with logic gate, transistor and a relay to command the pump. Depending of what you want to do you can have a low-high mode to switch on/off the pump or have a timer relay to keep the pump running the time you set. You can even by the circuit already made for 5 or 10 bucks with connection for your probe and connection for your pump.

L