Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Castrol used to make some stuff called "Super Clean". I think it is still made but not by them anymore. Google it...I have heard good things about it and will be using it for my next bilge cleaning session.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I am still firmly convinced that the best degreasers in the world still work proportionately to their temperature versus their "reputation".

Pure water in the form of steam has been used for degreasing seemingly forever and as far as I know is still a favorite if not the favorite. Just harder to get and use the equipment.

Still exploring the small home made steam generators as the commercial made ones are either tiny kitchen scale ones or huge and expensive. Obviously dangerous and something I won't just jump into.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Still exploring the small home made steam generators as the commercial made ones are either tiny kitchen scale ones or huge and expensive. Obviously dangerous and something I won't just jump into.

I've been using wifey's Shark "portable steam pocket system" on the boat occasionally. A lot, this last week, while I deal with diesel...

Most of the attachments aren't great for getting into tiny spaces, but the basic steamer works reasonably well... and the attachment extension can be used without an attachment to get steam into smaller areas. Sometimes that means wiping afterwards with a rag on the tip of a flat-blade screwdriver

And then it wasn't expensive... given wifey already had it at home...

-Chris
Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. I've used the Castrol SC and it didn't seem much better than the stuff you can get at the dollar store (I think it was mentioned above or in the other thread). Simple Green works about the same but I just can't stand the smell.

Haven't tried steam on the bilges yet probably because as mentioned, commercial units are largish and expensive BUT if an economical steam unit was available, I'd dearly love to give that a shot.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I used a shop vac to suck out sudsy Dawn from the bilge one time. When I poked my head out of the bilge I saw that the shop vac had spit dirty suds out of the exhaust all over the boat.

Yep. Stuff that make suds hasn't turned out to be best in larger quantities that require shop-vac'ing. About 2 gallons of liquid -- with suds -- will juts about start to overflow (suds) from our small 5-gallon shop-vac exhaust. More than that and it can get messy wherever the vac is sitting.

OTOH, sprayed on vertical surfaces, then steamed and allowed to collect in a puddle below, the Zep degreaser, 409, and Dawn have all worked pretty well. Not enough suds in those quantities to overflow the vac.

-Chris
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Simple Green works about the same but I just can't stand the smell.
Simple Green also sells a SG BBQ Grill cleaner... haven't used it in the bilge but it does an amazing job on heavy BBQ grease - trick is spray and be patient...
it takes a little while to melt the grease. Imagine it would work well in the bilge.

Will try to remember to give it a try next time I'm cleaning in the bilge.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I always lined the bilge under the engines and genset with oil absorbing pads. Allowed me to track any leaks. I actually logged the engine hours and date I put new ones in and took pictures every now and then, and before removal. My DD 8v92ti's didn't leak much at all so this was about an every two year exercise.
Before I learned how to do oil changes, their main purpose was to help clean up that mess. But one bad spill caused me to have to rewipe with a few more under there, then I used Simple Green in light solution, threw a few more pads in there and scooted them around with a short handle. Worked great.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I mentioned this before but I think it's worth repeating. IF you leave the shop vac on the dock or in a dock cart you can buy sump pump hose and use it as an extension so when your shop vac fills up you won't have to move it around inside the boat and risk a spill.

Shop ProPlumber Plastic Hose at Lowes.com
I have used a pool suction hose which is longer and larger diameter, but still flexible. They are cheap too. Just adapt / duct tape the vacuum cleaner intake to the end of the hose and go wherever you want with it.

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #29
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've been using wifey's Shark "portable steam pocket system" on the boat occasionally. A lot, this last week, while I deal with diesel...

Most of the attachments aren't great for getting into tiny spaces, but the basic steamer works reasonably well... and the attachment extension can be used without an attachment to get steam into smaller areas. Sometimes that means wiping afterwards with a rag on the tip of a flat-blade screwdriver

And then it wasn't expensive... given wifey already had it at home...

-Chris
I have one of those or a similar device. I have used it to clean the engine itself but not the bilge. It's actually on the boat right now for me to clean the engine so I might give it a try in the bilge as well.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #31
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Latest Practical Sailor issue has an article on making a dust/fluid collector to use with a shop vac in order to avoid mess in vac can. Looks interesting.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #32

City: lake geneva
Great forum!
I know this is an old thread and may not be seen, but was just reading through it as I just found the site. For all of the shop vac answers, I agree they work great, but if this de-greaser water for example is bad to go in the water, where is everyone dumping the shop vac contents??
Thanks!
Chris
Eckcn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Homer
Vessel Name: Slow Goin
Vessel Model: 78 MS 34 Mk1
I'm doing just this thing now and it has been a mess. Started out by sucking out 20 gallons of the top into 5 gallon buckets. I'm in the yard so I turned on the bilge pump and sucked down to the oil on top. Then i added 5 cans of foaming degreaser on to eveything i could spray. Soaked for an hour and blasted with a pressure washer. Let evrything settle and pumped out water undeneath once again. Now I'm doing sheets of absorbs about 20 so far and I'm almost done. PO knew he had a leak,just never cared to fix it. Never could understand people like that. Just be persistent and eventually you can come away with a white glove.
Alaskasbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Homer
Vessel Name: Slow Goin
Vessel Model: 78 MS 34 Mk1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckcn17 View Post
Great forum!
I know this is an old thread and may not be seen, but was just reading through it as I just found the site. For all of the shop vac answers, I agree they work great, but if this de-greaser water for example is bad to go in the water, where is everyone dumping the shop vac contents??
Thanks!
Chris
All my oily stuff I've been transfering to the oily waste receptacle at the harbor masters. Water just pumping out.
Alaskasbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #35

City: lake geneva
Ok thanks, I guess that's what I was getting at, how /where the oily stuff goes! No oil receptcle at my marina..
Thanks allot for your response!
Eckcn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #36
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Oil and filters can often be disposed of at your auto repair shop. Same for wipes and rags. It may cost you a few bucks but better than dumping. Ask around.

I avoid using foaming or sudsing detergents due to the foam. Too hard to control and doesn't work any better.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote