Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
City: East Coast
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
......... Used oil I can dump at Autozone. BTW,............
I took mine to an Autozone and the lady told me they wouldn't accept used oil from diesel engines. That's why I ended up dumping it at the marina. Three gallons had been riding in the back of my truck for weeks and I was tired of carrying it.

Usually I dump it at Walmart but the one I took it to the last time said they would take a maximum of five quarts.

Someone posted about "most marinas taking used oil". We often take cruises long enough that I have to change the oil once or twice. I remember one marina where the manager told me I could leave it in containers and he would have it picked up. I remember another that wanted to charge me to take oil (and extra for the filter).

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
If your bilge is really bad just get some plastic 55 gallon drum and pump the water in them. Let them sit for a few days and skim off the oil. The water is usually clean enough to dump it down the drain after the oil is removed. If you use a steam pressure washer you will not use that much water. I find this is the safest way to avoid pissing off the owner of the boat yard with a oil spill. The shop vac with the pump out feature makes the job easier.

funangler is offline   Reply With Quote