Better living through chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
I have a leaking hatch. The transition between the deck and the vertical section are covered with a piece of 1/4 round. Some DPO had the bright idea of bedding this 1/4 round in, what I suspect is Life Caulk or Boatlife brown caulk. To remove one 2' (aprox.) section has taken me about 4 hrs. as I wish to re-use this molding. Now, the conundrum...What solvent/chemical can I use to remove this goop from the molding? I plan to get a capped length of copper pipe to use as a "soak tank" to minimize solvent volume. Options are: acetone, lacquer thinner, turpentine, paint remover (usually methylene chloride), gasoline, alcohol or any other stuff you can suggest.. I currently have none of these and don't wish to store an unsuitable solvent on board (fire hazard). Thanks in advance.

Lacquer thinner is probably the strongest of those. Boatlife makes a caulk remover specifically for their products, but I've only used it on fresh caulk. Is the 1/4 round wood? Are you worried about soaking that in a solvent?

Mr. RT, Boatlife polysulfide sealant can be stubborn to remove. I have had some luck with toluene.

Greetings,
Yup, the 1/4 round is teak. My only concern about solvent soaking is the brown effluent soaking into the wood but since I will be re-coating with Cetol I expect the color variation will not be an issue.
The molding was fastened with brass brads of some sort but I will be re-bedding with Dolphinite (sp?) and I will use #4 (probably) screws to facilitate future removal and service.
Golly-gee willikers.....two responses in 13 minutes! Ya gotta love this site. Thanks. I'll accept any and all suggestions.

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. HopCar. I looked up the MSDS on the product and it contains cyclohexanone and 2-butanone. @ $13.36 an ounce it's more expensive than single malt scotch!! I've just gone out and purchased some xylene (Ace didn't stock toluene) and have my one piece soaking right now. Who knows, I may have to buy the BoatLIFE stuff AND a bottle of scotch....I'll let you all know what transpires...

Greetings,
Well, the xylene soak (for about 3 hrs.) denatured the goop sufficiently to allow fairly easy removal with a sharp paint scraper. Many thanks for all the suggestions. Mind you I wouldn't want to do a whole cap rail but it serves for the purpose I need.

We use heat very successfully to remove old finish, bedding, adhesive compounds, etc. It's about the only thing that works when needing to remove something bedded with 5200.

In the old days I'd strip an entire boat (except bilge and sometimes even that) with a hand held propane torch. Not good for varnish as it leaves some slightly scorcthed spots (more or less black) but as I recall that was on Red Cedar planking. Harder woods may not have that problem if one is a bit careful.

Greetings,
Propane torches, multiple scrapers, case(s) of beer, 5 enthusiastic (for beer anyway) legal teenagers, six hours later a 34' wood hull stripped and ready for repair/paint.
Speaking of heat, I used a thin spatula heated and forced betwixt that aforementioned 1/4 round and the hatch side to remove said 1/4 round in one piece.
Cooked for the day-heatwise. Have two pieces off and almost prepped. Will resume tomorrow AM if Ernesto doesn't intrude. Many thanks again all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom