Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I have a genuine Dremel, and a fake Fein. Both have their uses, the Dremel particularly with the extension drive cable. There are Dremel copies, like Rockwell, and locally an "Ozito", retailed by Bunnings. My fake Fein is Ozito brand.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Thank you all for your valuable input and suggestions. There IS a Lowes nearby so I'll check out Rockwell and anything else they have to offer.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #23

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
Best value for money or what's that tool?

I used several and the only one I love is the Boesch with the 3 amp motor. I will not start a project with out it. If I had to pick two power tool to have on board this and a 1/2 cordless drill would be it. I will shop around for blades and tend not to use Boesch blades because of the cost.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RT, funny you brought this up. Just today I was looking at the Rockwell Sonicrafter at Lowes.
I like the tooless blade change and that it will accept most other brands of blades.

I own a Ryobi cordless version but I haven't used it enough to recommend it.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...FXNo7AodgygA2Q
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Oscillating tool is the best I can come up with...
Isn't that tool Flywright just put up what you want..? They certainly come in handy round a boat and at home.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I am a great fan of Fein and use several of their sanders in my flooring business. They work very well and have almost no vibration. That said I use a cheap oscillating saw, Genisis carried by Benny's a chain in CT and RI. I use it a lot more than I thought I would to cut out damaged flooring to weave in repairs. I does vibrate more than a Fein would but gets the job done. Cost was about $25.00 on sale. Just bought a new set of blades today for $10.00. Each set seems to last about two years with a fair ammount of use. Let the tool do the work, don't lean on it and you won't let the smoke out of the blade.

Rob
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #27

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The Harbor Freight version is worth exactly what you pay for it which is not very much. It's heavy and clumsy and the little nubs on mine that are supposed to keep the blade from turning wore off quickly so I have to really crank down on the blade wrench to keep the blade positioned how I want it.

For casual use, I would recommend Craftsman, Rockwell or similar.

FYI - I had the same problem develop on a 'cheapie' oscillating cutter. I fixed it with a rubber O-ring between the locking plate and blade. Works perfectly.

Absolutely stunning tools in the right situation. Saved my sanity whilst removing old linoleum for a kitchen reno with the scraper attachment. Took about 8 hrs in the end - I have no idea what I would have done without it (well I do know I would have lost a significant amount of knuckle skin).
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #28
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Fein

I'm on my second Fein, after ten years the old Feins cord finally failed and I used it as an excuse to get a new one with the new blade clamp and soft start. This is a tool I use daily and the Fein has a smaller barrel to grip which on the face of it may not seem like much but in the long run makes a difference in fatigue. When I bought my first one they were the only game in town and I payed close to $500 in kit form with a bunch of blades. I've used most of the others and hands down the Fein out performs the others. Blades are brutally expensive, the Fein and Bosch blades out perform all others. The new Fein from Home Depot was under $200. The improved performance , soft start , and blade gripping mechanism make the already best tool even better. If you use a tool hard, professional tools make your job easier. Two weeks ago I used mine to remove glued down cork flooring. The owner had given up using a Portercable multitool, the Fein just peeled up the cork in nice clean strips leaving a clean floor. The owner couldn't believe the difference.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Anacortes
Fein multimaster. If you think the cutting attachments are expensive, try buying the cheap ones. If you do any volume whatsoever, you will tend to find that the cheapest ones to use on a volume basis are in fact the Fein ones. I was surprised that the Bosch consumables were not better than they were. You can get an adaptor and use pretty much everyone else's. I stopped. Those trips back to the store are what's expensive.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Like many tools...big difference between something you use every day as a professional and one you use for one main project for a few days as an amateur.

Unless one has a particular problem...which I haven't heard about the multi tools...and again some of the attachments span the spectrum for what works and what may not. I have used cheapo stuff and expensive stuff..some things don't work no matter what as the material you are working with gums all up the same of dulls them all, etc....

Spend $15 on the harbor freight one and if it lasts through the project you are working on and it performs as well as the good ones for what you are doing...then I seriously doubt you made a big mistake....even if it's trashed at the end of the job...you can probably get a new one if it's only a couple weeks old.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #31
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I have the Dremel Multi-Max - $150 when I bought it from Amazon 4 years ago, now $99.00. Still going strong after many boat-related projects. Invaluable for surgically removing pieces of woodwork without having to make a starter hole. Set the speed to about 80% and keep the slot and blade-teeth clear of sawdust. Don't push, let the blade cut at it's own rate. The body of the tool does get hot with prolonged use - just give it a rest.

I have just found a new use for this tool. I wanted to epoxy some small wooden blocks to the inside of the hull. This meant removing 30 year old paint and roughening the exposed GRP surface to give a key for the epoxy. Access was horrible: pretty much arm's length, and coarse sand paper would have taken for ever. The Dremel, with coarse toothy blade, held at a slight angle to the surface did the job in no time and produced minimal mess.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Do a search on Amazon for "oscillating tool blades" and you will see a lot of aftermarket blades that fit most of the brands.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #33
Enigma

Greetings,
Thanks all. I bit the bullet and bought a Rockwell Sonicrafter. NOW I just have to see if it will do what I want. I have a rubrail which has a SS guard piece on the outside of it. Over the years the wood has degraded to the point that the SS is now above the level of the wood and acting like a dam and containing any water that finds it's way to the top of the rail. My "plan" (Hahahahaha.....) is to fill the recess with fairing compound with a slight outward slant to the level of the top of the SS molding. Since the fairing compound will be bonding the rubrail to the hull, I want to eliminate this bonding at the rubrail/hull interface thus allowing both the hull and the rubrail to flex independently. I'm using Alexseal P2083/C2017 for this as well as fairing the rest of the house and hull.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #34
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RT - Thanks for being the test dummy on the Rockwell tool. Let us know what you think of it.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
I have the Dremel Multi-Max - $150 when I bought it from Amazon 4 years ago, now $99.00. Still going strong after many boat-related projects. Invaluable for surgically removing pieces of woodwork without having to make a starter hole. Set the speed to about 80% and keep the slot and blade-teeth clear of sawdust. Don't push, let the blade cut at it's own rate. The body of the tool does get hot with prolonged use - just give it a rest.

I have just found a new use for this tool. I wanted to epoxy some small wooden blocks to the inside of the hull. This meant removing 30 year old paint and roughening the exposed GRP surface to give a key for the epoxy. Access was horrible: pretty much arm's length, and coarse sand paper would have taken for ever. The Dremel, with coarse toothy blade, held at a slight angle to the surface did the job in no time and produced minimal mess.
Absolutely a great use..any gummy substance that disables sandpaper and carbide attachments is made short work of with the saw blades...
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #36
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. H "test dummy"?????? Indeed! THAT comment alone is worth another 5% discount (On top of my already MASSIVE discount) on merchandise purchases at your establishment. Keep up the misnomers and you'll be discounted out of the 1% (elite)!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Thank you all for your valuable input and suggestions. There IS a Lowes nearby so I'll check out Rockwell and anything else they have to offer.
Check out the Rigid as well. As mentioned, the interchangeable tool heads are great and make for a much more versatile tool. Especially if you only need a vibrating saw once in a blue moon.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Check out the Rigid as well. As mentioned, the interchangeable tool heads are great and make for a much more versatile tool. Especially if you only need a vibrating saw once in a blue moon.

Love the inexpensive right angle drill head attachment...especially because it cost the same as trying to buy just one battery for my right angle DeWalt as they have gone through the roof.

One small bag and I can have a multi-tool, right angle drill, saber saw and impact driver....plus more if I want.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #39
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Interestingly there seems to be two prevailing thoughts on buying tools.

1/ Price based, that is buy the tool for the job in hand and don't expect any more out of it.

2/ Quality based, pay the big bucks and have a tool that will be around for years to come and will do any job well,however maybe you will use only once year.

There were some amazing price differences in the oscillating tools discussed here, everything from $25 to $500.

I splashed out and bought the Fein at $500 because I was about to rip up my main teak deck, cut out the glass top deck and remove the wood core.Then replace all.For me that tool was invaluable. However, in normal times I probably would have settled for something mid way in the price range, like a Bosch.

However, you do get a bit of kudos when walking down to your boat with your battered Orange Fein toolbox and the shipwright walks past and says to you "mate,Fein, you can't be em". I don't actually swagger but you do feel you've earned a bit of street cred.Type of like being in the Masonic tool owners club.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Any thoughts on the better battery operated one?