Best lube for moving parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
There seem to be lots and lots of lubricants available for such things as keeping little parts which slide back and forth on the engine lubricated and moving smoothly. I feel sure that some of these lubes are better than others, but don't know which ones they might be. So if someone could share their accumulated wisdom of the ages with me on this subject I would be properly appreciative and would drink a cold Corona in your honor.

John

CRC 6-56 lubricant...general purpose....things that like dry and silicone/Teflon for things that need to slide and less water displacement get any that fit the description (when done spraying you should see the film.

WD-40 is better than it used to be but never gets good reviews from independent tests other than short term squeak remover and a decent water dispersant.

From my old days working in a dairy, I still keep a tube of Dow Corning 111 in my tool box. Being silicone based it does not wash off easy with water or even some solvents. Particularly good for o-rings or any other rubber seals. I also rub a little on my rw impeller lobes before installing it.

Dow Corning 111 Silicone Compound Lubricant & Sealant

Is Dow Corning 111 usable in salt water systems?

From my old days working in a dairy, I still keep a tube of Dow Corning 111 in my tool box. Being silicone based it does not wash off easy with water or even some solvents. Particularly good for o-rings or any other rubber seals. I also rub a little on my rw impeller lobes before installing it.

Don't forget the Bag Balm....which we used more than once in a while to lubricate things around the barn. Door hinges, pump O rings and chapped hands.
Sometimes, anything is better than nothing, and besides when it's 19 below zero who wants to run to the machine shed for a dab of the real stuff.
Sort of like "can I make do" or do I have to make a special trip to WM where I will end up buying 3 other things I didn't know I needed. :blush:

When I lift my hatch to check oil & water and I feel I need a drop of oil on something, I pull the dipstick and drip it on the offending item.

> I pull the dipstick and drip it on the offending item.<

Engine oil is designed to drain off very rapidly to decrease the load on the oil scraping rings.

Sewing machine oil is designed NOT to run off (probably by adding a wax ).

3-1 will also stay in place far longer than engine oil of any weight.

For sliding items I use grease if I can get it apart to apply it. White lithium if it's used in water, otherwise usually a general purpose grease (or wheel bearing grease if it's high speed.
Otherwise I use oil, usually motor oil of whatever I have available.

Back
Top Bottom