Best Hull Painting Options in Puget Sound area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TTrep

Vessel Name
Grato
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic
Have a 1973 GB 36 Classic (last year of the wood hull) that needs hull painted, waterline to cap rail. This is not a show boat and not our intention to make it into one. Looking for a boat yard that would do a solid job at decent rate. Found several that are willing to do a "great job for me" at north of $100 per hour, over $10k for the project. We just want solid prep and good application to last for several years. Not looking to fill every crack and deep scratch.

Included a recent photo for perspective.
Moored in Port Orchard.
Seeking your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Ted

Attachments

• x587EWyqQkyAoDEHloD7Dg.jpg
    x587EWyqQkyAoDEHloD7Dg.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 71
I had Seaview boatyard in Bellingham paint my boat with Alexseal 5 years ago and they did a good job. At that time I also talked to Platypus in Port Angeles and Phillbrooks in Sidney BC about doing the job. I'm pretty sure none of these yards would be interested at the price you have in mind. You might check around your docks for any private contractors who would charge less. The price will also depend on how much work you're willing to contribute, like removing cleats and other hardware.

You might try Al Kelly in Tsehum Harbour. Did my bottom paint quick and easy, at a very reasonable price. Did my buddy Toot Sweet's hull paint, beautiful!

(250) 361-6300

Alan Kelly Yacht Refinishing

2FF6zGYnHcjrAJy3yT9p4ieTJ873q08QI1r2Rt2nwDwqZEO6sh5qG2Zk1pG0WGKv28NMQO9-uD5qIEQRHeUtAqKd94AjNbkO14jdcy50SIR6sr2AwXe7Xa9C2wgtKUKt-9iUXamsDi3H-6b9CO7QT5-owVkaynaaixFhb-6sDfi62hupDdpkJSw6udNFziS0P1ay_xStn94SOjg2dZ1OE_BBzZCSJBw5kS5W_pjrPYuOoGkcByyyHVBkPiq2f-mxIgnk7F4gwlRT9QeQArcVzyjVxx1PklzbHbSfy8r8POJ3hXlv6oUUNs8u6Nkkct-R60vdJMO9ZB-4OkcRnovwKUK8YnmGc4RXyJS80w6y1dei74VnhYLvCO5QDcvHY6EizOnbqxbqr9xONqHY6kkmIQtBx0Ghgtq82qG84rNPMmrgHIqZDJoM-0mxz4jhAsTT0hZkPDZ5Ebd2rtisdimhQDdzIml7HEDF2norKA8l9GMNLd44mtw1FTwMldiM7I5MWjWbKNndkAinFZ354Egf2Yv9-Pv6D-oyxSKwQIUlQLMK9dT37x4nlkakHYxh1RE1TrcA8mkhz3DB_vuOFWRgZh3-TaX1FoKgMgOtg9qmR6s_qXGM3OHgNrn12ER8_d7Kc2nkDKCQ5hPvnjExmS8_vgd7oG-Iv8xxQ6zb8Z0evzEiybdotd7VLFSKViSFLAVlfbSrQAxQP4B5wiBNiWxx7GPs=w1534-h904-no

ht_Eb6BE48o7jFz_qb66H4A-ZyCO36zh4YgN9CBVsUopQuTrb79brIm8jjySwn22D2XOxtbWCcvum2dcqPr9rgE855Ioywdd8M-2LXoOQ8gpjcjfDCuyxCeTJHWiZH8etBYhJ0RhgVQ0hvW0nYxshJukB8ur9V82thny8R5Sj8GXbtwqEhf1_PoJT5oJuKWtGZl9YDkKzAzerqJ_lBf2-D6VCK-DiZxJmH8FXjBwhFKmkE6403KOELvaX3HrCMPWgzoSgMobfASDZ_pE_VPVtTmMoBL5vr0tRLbU9kySBwEo-HQlI3mGfns63U6ZEt-Ul1OiInKvuDE-qO3pLSMjOBruklyUtFc2aFA1ZpNcnnIGSvgF6LznjUvfu-XnBU8ck2Qw0fRLZe8oDPmL-OI5LtzK_hmmZABhx6q6LEI781ezvGn36aXXsB6WGklunS-4O6hTTGM5D22SZEO2QgoJXXbAX-dtPJdHmuFYGl1uNvXQxlSvhFMFO0giE4IQpWpsazDxzTdUTnwTWBUQXkd-NsFoPzgQFROysIXn2CHx97xMmHqFqHwGu2Ak2uDb6in_everbZhS7KHLjVvt3nIlL9GLMDmXGP5jNBbl32waU-9xxIX9NwAtoEPHf0ZPHkwHEndBQK92wAr1PAVeHNTkoN5fRHN8tVCE6_uZW2rc8kAhFPMgypL5PyGZRpeKN1_x2gYb8vidEAol3Tx6On0t0jyo=w1362-h904-no

If it a wood boat then you want a very different sort of paint job than you get with a fiberglass boat. For one you do NOT want to use a two part urethane paint like Awl-Grip, Sterling or Alexseal. You want a much softer paint like a one part urethane or a traditional oil based paint like Kirby. In addition the surface prep will be very different. I base this on my experience with my 1936 wooden boat which I repaint myself. My boat is 33', but is a raised foredeck design so actually takes a bit more paint than yours. That said, you will only need about 1 to 1.5 quarts of paint per coat. You can get a very good result with either straight brushing or a roll and tip job. If you old paint is in OK condition you don't even need to prime except for any spots where wood is showing through. Two coats should do it. Here are some time numbers for painting my boat (see avatar).

Sand topsides to 220 grit - two hours per side (4 hours total)
Mask hull - 1 hour per side (2 hours total)
Apply paint - 1.5 hours per side for roll and tip, 2 hours for brushing (3-4 hours total)
Sanding between coats 1 hour per side (2 hours total)

So for two coats on my boat painting would take about 12 hours. I would use three quarts of paint total and maybe a pint of primer. In addition I use about three rolls of mashing tape.

Materials cost using Petit Easypoxy paint, 2" masking tape, foam rollers and tipping brushes and a 5 pack of 220 grit sanding disks comes to about - $155

Labor at $100/hr would be around $1,200 so say $1,350 for two coats of topsides paint. That is less than the materials cost for two part urethane and primer.

Times above are my times to do the job myself. I paint the boat every year so my times are based on 8 years experience.

If it a wood boat then you want a very different sort of paint job than you get with a fiberglass boat. For one you do NOT want to use a two part urethane paint like Awl-Grip, Sterling or Alexseal. You want a much softer paint like a one part urethane or a traditional oil based paint like Kirby. In addition the surface prep will be very different. I base this on my experience with my 1936 wooden boat which I repaint myself. My boat is 33', but is a raised foredeck design so actually takes a bit more paint than yours. That said, you will only need about 1 to 1.5 quarts of paint per coat. You can get a very good result with either straight brushing or a roll and tip job. If you old paint is in OK condition you don't even need to prime except for any spots where wood is showing through. Two coats should do it. Here are some time numbers for painting my boat (see avatar).

Sand topsides to 220 grit - two hours per side (4 hours total)
Mask hull - 1 hour per side (2 hours total)
Apply paint - 1.5 hours per side for roll and tip, 2 hours for brushing (3-4 hours total)
Sanding between coats 1 hour per side (2 hours total)

So for two coats on my boat painting would take about 12 hours. I would use three quarts of paint total and maybe a pint of primer. In addition I use about three rolls of mashing tape.

Materials cost using Petit Easypoxy paint, 2" masking tape, foam rollers and tipping brushes and a 5 pack of 220 grit sanding disks comes to about - $155

Labor at $100/hr would be around $1,200 so say $1,350 for two coats of topsides paint. That is less than the materials cost for two part urethane and primer.

Times above are my times to do the job myself. I paint the boat every year so my times are based on 8 years experience.

Thanks very much for the details. My only experience was with a 34' Fairliner we had for a few years and did both the bottom and sides once. I would happily pay triple your hours for this first run, which would come in under $5k. Two estimates so far are $10k and $19k.

Two great responses for far, very useful.
Ted

I suspect they are quoting you for an awl-grip paint job which is a very different beast (much more prep labor and much more expensive materials). Make sure they understand you are talking about a brushed or rolled and tipped paint job on a wooden hull. I would go up to Port Townsend and talk to some of the wooden boat people there.

A marine yard away from Seattle, especially one that mostly does commercial boats will get a better price. Most of the yards will give a better price if you ask to do the work in their off season. Also, consider Canada. You get a Canadian dollar for 76¢ US. I had good jobs at Tom-Mac Shipyards. They do a lot of wood boat work and have a travel lift and a railway. http://tommac.ca/
Take a little trip, drop off the boat and see the Vancouver sights. You can have a rental car waiting for you at the yard.

Port Townsend is the PNW "wood boat capital" and has many companies and craftsmen that can work with you. Plus, you can do some or all the work yourself in the yard.

Scroll down to Painting & Brightwork: Marine Trades Directory | Port of Port Townsend

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom