Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Best fabric for exterior window coverings??

Hi Ya'll!** It's almost time for me to move on to the window covering project.**What is the best fabric to use?* Is it Phifertex??*Regular Sunbrella?* *Qualities preferred are shade, privacy, but still let in some light.* Can you have waterproof and breathable at the same time?

Tell me your opinions!!

Thanks!!

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: Best fabric for exterior window coverings??

I like Textilene. http://www.arizonasunsupply.com/Textilene-80.html

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

I made some shade covers from Sunbrella mesh fabric. Don't know about waterproof, but why do you need waterproof on a window cover? If this is a DYI project be sure to use UV safe thread. I used poly but you can spent $$$ for Tenara thread. Probably not necessary for this project -- I think it's mostly used in sail construction. Check Sailrite.com for anything you need.
ARoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Google "rv windshield covers" there are dozens of mfg , and a wide choice of fabrics.

The best will reflect most of the heat , allow good daylight viewing and will provide privacy when the interior is lit at night.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Guru

Bess, We use Sunbrella for windows we want completely covered and Phifertex for windows that open. The aft window you see is matching Phifertex and not solid Sunbrella. Chuck

https://picasaweb.google.com/svseatr...28394278450194
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Guru

Chuck, that is a GREAT idea!** And, you just made me think, why limit myself to an either-or choice?*** Why not a set of both that I can mix and match depending on the situation and weather!!* (don't tell Tom)

ARoss, not sure why I'd need waterproof...just asking. I figured that*a waterproof choice could help with water getting through hatches/windows. (not that we have serious water issues, just thinking outloud)

And I do have the UV thread.* Used it on our Flybridge cushions.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

For the PNW, we went with clear plastic to let light in and we can see out in the winter and sun screen see though mess for the summer.* We have NO solid exterior canvas.

I do not know the brand name.* The stern canvas/plastic enclosure is 13 years old, the pilot house is*8 years old, and the sun screen is 8 years old.* I had to replace 2 of the 5 of the plastic panels of the stern deck as I punched holes in them during the freezing snow to bang of the snow before the snow got to heavy.**This year I have to replace one more.*******

We change the salon windows to dark brown for privacy and keep out the sun light.* True PNWeners do not like the bright sun light.* I have on the To Do list to chnage the pilot house glass also.* Over the salon windows we have 1/4" plex a glass which leaves a space like storm windows.* Winter keeps in the heat and summer keeps the heat out.* For the interior my wife make heavy thermal curtains.**With the Plex and thermal curtains*the boat is very quiet/warm*even*during freezing cold and winds 30+ miles, and in the summer they keep the boat cool.* When we loose dish reception we know its*getting*windy or its raining*hard.* **

One of the biggest energy saver is a quilt my wife made that hangs over the stairs from the salon to the pilot house which we also use year around.* * **
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Whatever you use, keep in mind that dark colors heat up and transmit that heat to the inside. The best reflective color to keep heat out is white, but it gets dirty fast. I had dark green covers on my last boat and they radiated serious heat into the boat. They weren't insulated though... you can always get a closed cell foam insulation sewn into the covers if you want. I did this for some hatch covers that I wanted to stop condensation in the winter.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #9
Guru

Thanks Keith!* I had thought of that.* I was going to make them to match the bimini, but thought that would make it too warm on the inside.* Maybe dark ones for winter to keep her warm and light ones*for summer to try to keep her cooler, and mesh ones for air flow!

Darn, now I need three sets.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Besslb wrote:Thanks Keith!* I had thought of that.* I was going to make them to match the bimini, but thought that would make it too warm on the inside.* Maybe dark ones for winter to keep her warm and light ones*for summer to try to keep her cooler, and mesh ones for air flow!
Darn, now I need three sets.
*When you get good at it, I need a hatch cover.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:
*When you get good at it, I need a hatch cover.

*Ah...Just a hatch cover?* You have to come see our new Flybridge cushions!* I finished up new curtains for the state room Monday, and started new fitted slip covers for our salon barrel chairs last night.* After the slip covers comes the window coverings.* :-)
Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Amazed the Admiral when I tackled and finished the doghouse cover , aft hatch cover , and window screens forward. . . All in place and serviceable....once you figure out that a sewing machine is not a gal's thing... you can do anything.
ARoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
ARoss wrote:
Amazed the Admiral when I tackled and finished the doghouse cover , aft hatch cover , and window screens forward. . . All in place and serviceable....once you figure out that a sewing machine is not a gal's thing... you can do anything.
*Here-here!
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Besslb wrote:
Hi Ya'll!** It's almost time for me to move on to the window covering project.**What is the best fabric to use?* Is it Phifertex??*Regular Sunbrella?* *Qualities preferred are shade, privacy, but still let in some light.* Can you have waterproof and breathable at the same time?

Tell me your opinions!!

Thanks!!
*Bess, don't know exactly what you are looking for.* This is a covering that we use when on board.* It blocks about 75% of the sunlight. When we are away we have opaque Sunbrella covers that are put on.* They block out 100%.* Saves UV damage to the inside of the boat.* The mesh fabric shown is covered with a vinyl coating.* Expensive, but nice.* They cut out much heat.* I thought they were Testaline, but failed to find that kind of fabric on their website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonstruck detailed and window covers 001.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	6355   Click image for larger version

Name:	moonstruck detailed and window covers 004.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	6356  
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Guru

Best fabric for exterior window coverings??

There is a Phifertex regular and Phifertex Plus.* 75% and 90% UV block.*

Shall we go regular mesh, or SUPER mesh?* * I'm leaning towards 90% mesh and a second Sunbrella set.

-- Edited by Besslb on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 10:56:47 AM
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Besslb wrote:
There is a Phifertex regular and Phifertex Plus.* 75% and 90% UV block.*

Shall we go regular mesh, or SUPER mesh?* * I'm leaning towards 90% mesh and a second Sunbrella set.

-- Edited by Besslb on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 10:56:47 AM
*Just a matter of choice.* We like to see what is going on outside.* The Sunbrella fabric is a kahki color with a black lining behind it.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Per
Guru

we have same set up, mesh cover for when we are onboard, and sunbrella covers when we are away.
really like the mesh, gives you privacy and keeps out most of the hot sun, same time lets in lots of light and visibility from inside out.
the mesh covers we have are made for each window, and the sunbrella is basically a 3 piece wrap.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #18

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: ECHO
Vessel Model: Transtar 50' Trawler
Need to make window covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
*Bess, don't know exactly what you are looking for.* This is a covering that we use when on board.* It blocks about 75% of the sunlight. When we are away we have opaque Sunbrella covers that are put on.* They block out 100%.* Saves UV damage to the inside of the boat.* The mesh fabric shown is covered with a vinyl coating.* Expensive, but nice.* They cut out much heat.* I thought they were Testaline, but failed to find that kind of fabric on their website.
This thread was started quite a few years ago but has lots of helpful advice. I was wondering if any of the coverings are breathable. We have 4 large windows on the front of our trawler and 2 of them slide open. Debating if we should just make individual covers for the 2 outside windows that open and one for the inside 2 windows (that don't open). Also how difficult if it to make your own? any advice helps! Thanks!
THarpsCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Textilene is breathable.

Textilene Mesh - Pertter Polyester Mesh Fabric Co.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #20
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Phifertex Vinyl Mesh White 54" Fabric

Comes in black too and didderent densities....

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote