Bent dinghy mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Aruna
Vessel Make
Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I have a Sea Wise davit system that I love. This year, my clumsy self fell against the bow of the dinghy while lifting it up (don't ask) and bent one of the stainless steel mounting arms.

IMG_5616.jpg

Now the whole thing is slanted down towards the bow of the dinghy. This has made the whole thing off kilter, which means things don't fit right anymore. It's harder to get the bow arm onto the dinghy because it's been bent, and harder to get everything put away when hoisting things up because of the change.

IMG_5617.jpg

From what I could see at the time, the bow mounting arm was the only thing that bent.

IMG_5618.jpg

I tried to bend it back using my weight and some various line and counterweight nonsense, but I didn't want to make things worse.

IMG_5619.jpg

I believe the area in the picture above that is mostly straight used to have a tiny curve in it.

This whole thing is beefy stainless steel, and of course custom made for this exact setup / boat. I have only every worked with stainless in terms of cutting it (always fun) and working with it at the basic levels.

I was hoping to un-bend what I've done, as I would imagine having a brand new one made would be very expensive, and probably require a lot of careful measurement to even make things better, if possible.

Thoughts on how to bend or fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_5620.jpg
    IMG_5620.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 66
I would call Stuart at Seawise and see what he says. When we had a Seawise he was very helpful. And you must have hit it really hard to bend it because it is built really well and heavy duty.

I would call Stuart at Seawise and see what he says. When we had a Seawise he was very helpful. And you must have hit it really hard to bend it because it is built really well and heavy duty.

Oh hey that’s a good idea. I don’t know why I didn’t think about that. I’ll contact him right now.

Uh it was my body weight so thanks :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom