Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
RE: Bent CQR anchor

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

....* I also decided that no matter how long you've been boating, if I see a problem with it, I'm not doing it.
True words of wisdom!***

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bent CQR anchor

I would'nt recomend either as a first choice. I had a Forfjord and tried it once on a fairly hard bottom in Rocky Pass. I tried an early XYZ and it bounced along the bottom and refused to set. Tried the Forfjord and it just draged along. Put out my small Danforth out and it hooked up right away. That thing has never failed. Sold the Forfjord to the Harbormaster in Thorne Bay for $50. My personal opinion on anchors are:

My personal opinion on anchors are:

Grade A * * ** Fortress. It earns this rating only if one excludes rocky bottoms. On any other bottom I think it's the highest performing anchor in the world. If you had a backup rock anchor (claw or maybe a Delta) you'd have everything coverd. Fortress is excellent at short scope. ****************************************

Grade B******* Rocna, steel Spade, Manson Supreme, Quickline, SARCA and SARCA Excel. All are good for all bottoms and have high holding power. The Manson and SARCA is better at short scope and the manson is cheaper. Spade is quite pricy. Sarca is super dependable.

Grade C******* Delta, Claws, Danforth and CQR. Good average performance for average conditions (or a bit worse). On long scope the Delta is above the rest on holding power and there is one Claw (Manson Ray) that could be in the "B" class but very expensive.

Grade D******* Oceane, Hydrabubble and Bulwaga.

Unless I've forgotten one or more all others are questionable in some significant way. Generally speaking a higher performance anchor can be considerably lighter and lower performance anchors need to be heavy. Notice I didn't mention the Danforth. Reason is that the most dependable anchor I have is a Danforth but it did badly in all the tests I've seen. I really don't know what to think. The Super Max seems like a super mud anchor but I don't know what to think of it otherwise. ALL THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. I really don't care if anyone responds to this post*** ...may be better if no one does but I'm open to PM.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 31st of March 2011 09:27:33 AM

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 31st of March 2011 09:35:46 AM

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

diver,

In my own mind it's higher than that but I'm trying to recommend an anchor for you and the Danforth consistently rated very low (excluding Fortress) in the tests so I would feel guilty recommending it. But you have my own personal testimony that my Danforth has never failed. I can't imagine why all those Dans failed in the tests. Maybe it's a marketing thing as nobody except West Marine (I know there are others) seems to be marketing steel Dans and ALL the anchor tests are in magazines and they must have heavy allegiance to their advertisers. Also very few people want to say "this is great" when almost everybody else is saying "this is trash". There is a very strong mind-set to gravitate toward the newest and latest in this country and I seem to be one of the exceptions (most of the time). Old Dans are easy to find cheap and if you use one I'd like to hear how well it does. I don't think ther's many rocky anchorages around here but you should have an old claw handy* for the rocks when you find them. You want to have coffee at the New York Cafe? We have breakfast at the Pioneer at times too.We're coming to Ketchikan on the 12th and will probably be at the Yacht Club in Thomas Basin. However I may send Chris on by herself on the ferry to avoid weather or get more done on the Willy.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #24

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Grade A * * ** Fortress. It earns this rating only if one excludes rocky bottoms. On any other bottom I think it's the highest performing anchor in the world. If you had a backup rock anchor (claw or maybe a Delta) you'd have everything coverd. Fortress is excellent at short scope.*****************************************
Eric, I think you're right. I have both Fortress and Bruce on Our Island and have never had any serious issues anchoring. I've sat up during the night on anchor watch a time or two but never have we lost our grip. I mostly use the Bruce, it seems to be the most popular anchor in my area, but when over softer bottom the Fortress holds tight.

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Practical Sailor tests anchors, and has no dog in the fight.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote