Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Indian Harbour Beach
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30 Rum Runner II
Bennett Trim Tab Range of Movement

Wondering if the trim tabs on my Mainship Pilot 30 II are reaching their full range of travel up and down. Does anybody know the distance the aft edge of the tab travels from full down to full up? Can't seem to find this info anywhere on line.

George Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: South Florida
They are most probably not. Mainship specified a reduced stroke actuator for many models, the standard Bennett travel is 2-1/2" and the Mainship "special" was 1-3/4'

This was just discussed on the Mainship Yahoo site, there is a simple modification you can do the change the actuator to standard travel, if you are out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Harmon View Post
Wondering if the trim tabs on my Mainship Pilot 30 II are reaching their full range of travel up and down. Does anybody know the distance the aft edge of the tab travels from full down to full up? Can't seem to find this info anywhere on line.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
They are most probably not. Mainship specified a reduced stroke actuator for many models, the standard Bennett travel is 2-1/2" and the Mainship "special" was 1-3/4'

This was just discussed on the Mainship Yahoo site, there is a simple modification you can do the change the actuator to standard travel, if you are out of the water.

I just measured the up and down travel of the aft end of the tab with a metal tape measure and find the distance traveled to be between 4 and 5 inches. I put the end of the tape on the tab and measured to where the tape met the water surface, on both trim tabs. It is somewhat approximate because of ripples in the water surface making an exact reading not possible. At least they are working well I guess.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: South Florida
The actuator attaches to the tab 3" in from the aft end of the tab, so the aft edge will travel much more than the actuator stroke.

https://bennetttrimtabs.com/installM...akdown-WEB.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Harmon View Post
I just measured the up and down travel of the aft end of the tab with a metal tape measure and find the distance traveled to be between 4 and 5 inches.
Attached Images

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
The actuator attaches to the tab 3" in from the aft end of the tab, so the aft edge will travel much more than the actuator stroke.

https://bennetttrimtabs.com/installM...akdown-WEB.pdf
Yes sir, that I knew from the survey haulout and the "research" I had done online. I was curious as to whether my tabs were working properly and reaching full limits of travel, and as you mentioned earlier the 1.75 or 2.5 inches of actuator travel indicates that I have functioning tabs.
I may consider trying the modification to create additional travel of the tabs.