Bennett Trim Tab Range of Movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George Harmon

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30 Rum Runner II
Wondering if the trim tabs on my Mainship Pilot 30 II are reaching their full range of travel up and down. Does anybody know the distance the aft edge of the tab travels from full down to full up? Can't seem to find this info anywhere on line.

They are most probably not. Mainship specified a reduced stroke actuator for many models, the standard Bennett travel is 2-1/2" and the Mainship "special" was 1-3/4'

This was just discussed on the Mainship Yahoo site, there is a simple modification you can do the change the actuator to standard travel, if you are out of the water.

:socool:

Wondering if the trim tabs on my Mainship Pilot 30 II are reaching their full range of travel up and down. Does anybody know the distance the aft edge of the tab travels from full down to full up? Can't seem to find this info anywhere on line.

They are most probably not. Mainship specified a reduced stroke actuator for many models, the standard Bennett travel is 2-1/2" and the Mainship "special" was 1-3/4'

This was just discussed on the Mainship Yahoo site, there is a simple modification you can do the change the actuator to standard travel, if you are out of the water.

:socool:

I just measured the up and down travel of the aft end of the tab with a metal tape measure and find the distance traveled to be between 4 and 5 inches. I put the end of the tape on the tab and measured to where the tape met the water surface, on both trim tabs. It is somewhat approximate because of ripples in the water surface making an exact reading not possible. At least they are working well I guess.

Attachments

• 1212@,1x.jpg
    1212@,1x.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 189
The actuator attaches to the tab 3" in from the aft end of the tab, so the aft edge will travel much more than the actuator stroke.

https://bennetttrimtabs.com/installManuals/Actuator-Standard-Hydraulic-Actuator-Breakdown-WEB.pdf

Yes sir, that I knew from the survey haulout and the "research" I had done online. I was curious as to whether my tabs were working properly and reaching full limits of travel, and as you mentioned earlier the 1.75 or 2.5 inches of actuator travel indicates that I have functioning tabs.
I may consider trying the modification to create additional travel of the tabs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom