Battery Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Checking voltage is always a good test to perform but it’s not necessarily an indicator of a good battery. A load test is a much better tool for diagnosing battery health issues. Borrow one or rent one from the local auto parts store and check each battery individually after a good slow charge.

I use a battery watering system.....Since my Batteries are impossible to water in place, the cap and pump system allows me to top them all up in a matter of minutes...Very handy..

I think part of boating is killing one set of batteries before you figure it all out. Don't ask me how I know.

Ok....now this was funny!!! I have killed a few myself!!!

Wow, that is OLD SCHOOL. That type of jug was available in the Model A Ford days. I am surprised they still make them. I have an old one with the FORD logo on it....LOL

Actually those battery water filling jugs are still available. WIth so many sealed batteries the sales of them are down but good auto parts places still have or can get them. Or of course Amazon.

When I had wet cell batteries that were in PP cases, not the old black rubber cases,
I realized that a dead cell could be seen through the case as MUCH lighter appearing than the remaining good cells. I would not count on that always to show but I tested it and that cell was dead.
So if you see a light coloured appearing cell in a battery be suspicious.

When I had wet cell batteries that were in PP cases, not the old black rubber cases,
I realized that a dead cell could be seen through the case as MUCH lighter appearing than the remaining good cells. I would not count on that always to show but I tested it and that cell was dead.
So if you see a light coloured appearing cell in a battery be suspicious.
Interesting method to remember. With refillable LAs, put batt on charge,remove a cap, see if cells are bubbling/charging. If one or more is not and others are, you have an answer. Be very careful of the acid for the eyes,skin,clothing etc. Low charge rate should suffice.

One less than perfect measure of your battery's condition can be gotten by watching how long the battery holds to 12.6 V or above (after a good charge up) while not being drawn upon nor charged for a few days or more. I would guess even a nice looking surface chage of 12.5-12.5 can't hang on for a week of so. While hanging the boat in the lift, I can afford to leave the batteries switched and not charging for periods of weeks or more. My older (6 and 8 years old now) AGMs never show less than 12.6 V during these periods and never fail to start the generator and engine. The first time they begin to sag in voltage after their routine layup, they're outa here.

Some automotive battery chargers have a "boost" setting that will start an engine with a dead battery. There are also battery boosters ( portable battery pack with jumper cables built in ) that will start a car with a dead battery. Or....as a last resort, remove your own car battery and bring it to the boat. By trying to start with battery source that you know is good, you'll be able to identify if this is a battery or starter problem.

Back
Top Bottom