Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #21

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
What`s a "core charge"? A refundable deposit? Money you get back so you don`t dump old batts and pollute?
Yup, exactly.

She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
4 golf cart batteries on the dock, 4 more to go, plus one 8D which I don't even know how I'm going to get out.

Last time I did this I think I was still in my 30's.

For the rest of you old farts around here, have you learned any tricks to either avoid or differentiate a heart attack from the general pain that results from pulling these things out of the bilge?

I still have to haul ten new batteries back down too.
I've "surrendered" to my age and now hire younger/stronger men for such tasks.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've "surrendered" to my age and now hire younger/stronger men for such tasks.

I'm many years your junior and do the same.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
What`s a "core charge"? A refundable deposit? Money you get back so you don`t dump old batts and pollute?
The last sentence. A financial incentive to turn in the old battery rather than dumping it. Of course the downside is that at time you just want to buy a new battery rather than replace an old battery, so that makes it cost more.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #25

City: Anacortes
Core charges are not supposed to be about politics. If you buy a new starter, a rebuilder wants your old one for its "core", because there is a lot more money in refurbishing an old unit than building a new one. Plus at the point of sale, you have identified an individual with the exact unit you would want to replace in your inventory. These kinds of core charges make sense.

For an outfit that sells a lot of items that get shipped to the Alaskan fishing fleet, it would make zero sense to require the purchaser to ship that much weight in batteries in two directions, just to satisfy a core charge when the old ones would be snapped up by a local scrapper at the destination, processed and handled in bulk.

Those of you paying 60 bucks a battery core, fully three times what it's worth, are not paying core charges, no matter what they call it. It sounds like you are voting wrong and paying some kind of regulatory social engineering fee.

Dumping you say? When I can get a check for hundreds of dollars for one load of batteries, I guarantee you that not only are people not dumping these things, any old dumps of batteries are in the process of disappearing all by themselves. There has been such a market for scrap metals, the scrapper I went to requires photo identification, wants the make and model of your vehicle and snaps a pic of your license plate. Trust me, dumping is not a big risk.

I suppose a retailer could risk the sale betting that an artificially high core fee will get the old battery. They really want these things. But that would be pathetically short sighted in missing sales of batteries without cores.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Um, the official Florida explanation goes "This is a state “core charge” to discourage people from trashing vehicle batteries. You pay this fee only if you don’t turn in your old battery." (Pinellas County, Florida, website).
Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
A lot of lead mines have been shut down in the US and deemed a health hazard to the environment and employees.Now the core charge is to cover buying lead plates from another country or to recover the lead from the old batteries to be melted down into new plates.The plastic can also be recycled as well.I ran a polymer shreder and densifier that recycled different plastics back into popcorn like balls that were ran through and extruder (that I also help run) to make fresh clean pellets for manufacturing.I'm not sure this helps at all with cost,but it helps with raw material supplies.The company I worked for was Industrial Polymer Recovery Co/Corp.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote