Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gabe n Em's Avatar
 
City: Point Judith, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 404
Batteries and bilges

Here's a mini project story for your reading pleasure. We had a battery fry (140+ deg f!) So we decided to upgrade some bits. We got a new charger, and swapped out 2 out of 3 8ds (the third is isolated, don't worry). While the batteries were out, we were able to access the squishy plywood and the primordial soup underneath. We have now accessed every inch of bilge. New boards went down and then I re arranged the batteries a little to make more sense (port battery goes to port switch, stbd with stbd). The end of the story will require a little trimming/rewiring to neaten up but now we don't have any flickering lights or voltage drops at the electronics when heavy loads come on.
__________________
Advertisement

Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Gabe n Em's Avatar
 
City: Point Judith, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 404
And what's a story without photos. First, here's ye Olde charger ("converter"?) Vs the new one. Quieter, cooler, smarter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180306_194954.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	73878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180307_064021.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	73879  
__________________

Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gabe n Em's Avatar
 
City: Point Judith, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 404
Here's the old batteries and the gunk below. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_110124.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	73880   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_073809.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	73881  
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gabe n Em's Avatar
 
City: Point Judith, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 404
And a clean (er) bilge, new boards, and new batteries!! Battery covers were not really picture worthy. ...

But believe me, the stank went down an order of magnitude between the removal of the bilge sludge and having happy, non-off gassing batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_075509.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	73882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_084346.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	73883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_124322.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	73884  
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,077
Nice work!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: Hughesville, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 385
What are the replacement boards and what are they covered or coated with? Is the access beneath the batteries the only way to maintain that section of the bilge?
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Gabe n Em's Avatar
 
City: Point Judith, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 404
Thanks Angus

Greg, there are limber holes to allow flow fore and aft so flushing was possible, but not scrubbing or inspection. I made 3 boards instead of the original 1 long one so they can be pulled up individually for inspection without removing the batteries, maybe just sliding them fore or aft in the case of the middle board. The boards are just 23/32" exterior ply with 2x4 screwed along the edges underneath for added stiffness. They were slathered in 3 coats of white enamel paint. I pondered epoxy but I think that would have been over kill. I just wanted to be able to scrub it clean. The old wood was getting waterlogged and fuzzy
__________________

Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012