Old 01-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #41
FF
Guru

In the Carib many of the old charter tubs simply have the noisemaker in the shore boat.

A 17 ft whaler with a 50 ft power hose is towed aft , little diesel stink or noise, at least for the charter swells..

>Well sorry but if I had to run my generator while I was running my inverter. What's the point of an inverter? <

If the noisemaker is properly sized to operate at close to full load , for efficiency and longevity purposes , using a pass thru inverter will allow short overloads with no problem.

If you need 3.5KW an inverter boost is far better in the long run than simply installing 6KW of noisemaker, instead of 4KW.

>On a large boat like ours it is really hard to get it to run straight DC. Really wish I could but it would cost a fortune to get there<

You can get very close with LED for lights , a vehicle radio , and all the other DC power savers. Fantastic fans work well and are quiet.

Be sure to have a second smaller inverter , not a big 2KW or 4KW unit to power these minor loads lighting as inverter loss is related to inverter capacity ,

A 4KW running at minor loads may only be 70% efficient a 1KW can be closer to 90%+.

Dig in the Mfg web site to see efficiency at partial loading.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
... and at night we shut everything down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I have considered this but never tried it. If I could go overnight without running the fridges, I could cut my Honda run time. I'm afraid my small fridges won't hold the cold overnight, especially the freezer compartments. Maybe the placement of a couple of freezer packs would help them hold overnight.

Guess I should try it sometime with something low risk like beer. God knows I've got enough of it and I can always buy ice in a pinch!!
I was out fishing on anchor with Giggitoni this weekend and decided to try this out. I loaded the fridges and placed ice packs in each freezer compartment. The built-in Norcold was full and the countertop fridge had a full freezer and a 1/3 full fridge.

Before going to bed, I recorded the house bank SOC at 91.7%, turned off the inverter powering the apartment size countertop fridge and flipped off the CB controlling the 12V power to the built-in Norcold. I normally keep a temp sensor in the countertop fridge and left it in place for the test. It normally reads a consistent 38-40*F.

I typically lose 10-15% overnight with the fridges running. The next morning I woke to a fridge temp of 40*F and a SOC on the house bank of 89.6%...about a 2% drop in SOC!! After the fridges ran for a while, I pulled the trays below the freezers and checked for water/ice. The countertop model had four small frozen spots of ice about the size of a quarter and none from the Norcold.

That's quite an improvement with no notable loss in core temp. I'll start adopting this as my new SOP when anchoring out.

Thanks for the suggestion, Edelweiss! I think I'll name my little white fridge after you. This gives new meaning to the song's lyrics...

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white
Clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

(Seen in the background here)

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #43
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Edelweiss! I think I'll name my little white fridge after you. This gives new meaning to the song's lyrics...

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white
Clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

AL
You are welcome. . . . . . . . I think

But now I have to rename my boat!!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Larry I know you'll take great comfort in knowing that, when on my boat, I'll think of you every morning!!

Cheers!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:33 AM   #45
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
In the Carib many of the old charter tubs simply have the noisemaker in the shore boat.

A 17 ft whaler with a 50 ft power hose is towed aft , little diesel stink or noise, at least for the charter swells..

LOL You've actually seen that? Many times? Do you have any pictures?

So what do they do with the Genset boat when they anchor? Just let it drift around them with a running Genset in it? I'll bet that would make the other boats anchored near by less than pleased.

You're kidding about this right?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Larry I know you'll take great comfort in knowing that, when on my boat, I'll think of you every morning!!

Cheers!!
I'm getting used to it now. I can't tell you how many times people walking down the dock, see the name, and start singing the song.

I even had one couple from Germany approach asking me questions in German. I answered him in Spanish of course and his Spanish was even worse than mine!! LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #47

City: Anacortes
I partially recall singing on your dock one night, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't THAT song.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #48
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A generic question....

If a fridge or freezer doesn't need to run because the actual temp remains below the set temp.....how much more should that appliance run and drain the batts?

Is it really effective in turning off the appliance if it should never kick back on to begin with?

I have never noticed a different either way....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I partially recall singing on your dock one night, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't THAT song.
I'm pretty sure it was "99 Bottle of Beer On The Wall", FlyWright's favorite too!

That why my boat is bow in now!! You party hounds sitting on the bow of Mary's boat whooping it up keep me up. Ha

Is your boat in the Port now or somewhere else?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #50
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A generic question....

If a fridge or freezer doesn't need to run because the actual temp remains below the set temp.....how much more should that appliance run and drain the batts?

Is it really effective in turning off the appliance if it should never kick back on to begin with?

I have never noticed a different either way....
That would all depend on how well the unit is insulated, how good the thermostat is, the ambient air temperature surrounding the unit and if the items in the unit are all at the set temperature of the unit at the time it's turned off I would think.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #51
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I'm pretty sure it was "99 Bottle of Beer On The Wall", FlyWright's favorite too!

That why my boat is bow in now!! You party hounds sitting on the bow of Mary's boat whooping it up keep me up. Ha

Is your boat in the Port now or somewhere else?
I thought it may be that wonderful little ditty, A Sailor Once Told Me Before He Died
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #52
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I haven't read every word of this thread but I think someone said that a battery should be charged occasionally ... or when it needs to be charged.

I don't think that's the case. I used to flex or exercise my batteries by running them down and then charging them. I'd let the boat sit for two weeks or so even using some power at times w/o the charger on and when the voltage got down to a certain point (12.4 comes to mind but not sure) I'd charge the batts.

Then my AGM Lifeline batts fell on their faces and I needed new batts. Bought new batts over the phone from the most respected shop in Seattle... Something River brand. I told them about the way I used my batts and they said I should keep the charger on all the time. The batts don't need to be exercised. Keeping them at a constant charge over long periods is ideal.

We boated in Alaska for several years w the new batts and then came south. Here in Washington state the boat's been on the hard for over two years. It's been plugged in to shore power all that time and the Zantrex has kept the batts up. We launched a month or so ago and all seems well except the starter solenoid clickes and seems to be suffering from low voltage. The start batt is an AGM Optima. It was in my garage for a day and this morning it was at 12.7v. Took it to the shop to get load tested today. If it's not ok I'll buy a new batt and if it is I've got a lot of connections to check.

But I think the batts are best kept in a constant state of being fully charged all the time unless you're drawing them down w usage. should immediately be recharged w whatever source is available. If someone thinks that's not correct I'll contact the shop and see what they recommend. Can't even remember the name of the place now.

Edit;
Oh yes the place where I got the batts is Boat Electric on Westlake in Seattle.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote