Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
I am thinking of adding some ballast to my port quarter- stern. Reason being is 300' of chain in the forward locker and the slight tendency to sit starboard a little. I think the starboard slight list is because the aft head, the galley, and the lower helm are all on starboard side. I have had two people stand on the port side of the swim platform and it sits completely level so maybe 450 lbs or so would do it. Not trying to change the original dynamics, just offsetting added on items that threw it slightly off. I am still way good on waterline, stability, etc.

Jeff
Anything on board that can help before you add the ballast?

I certainly know in our sized boats it's not always possible to move singular big or heavy things... but I have rearranged quite a bit in my boat and when all said and done...I'm back to level. Last year I had a bit of a list...but this summer's projects seems to have corrected it.

If not... I certainly wouldn't have a problem with adding less than 500 pounds of ballast to correct trim on my boat.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
I am thinking of adding some ballast to my port quarter- stern. Reason being is 300' of chain in the forward locker and the slight tendency to sit starboard a little. I think the starboard slight list is because the aft head, the galley, and the lower helm are all on starboard side. I have had two people stand on the port side of the swim platform and it sits completely level so maybe 450 lbs or so would do it. Not trying to change the original dynamics, just offsetting added on items that threw it slightly off. I am still way good on waterline, stability, etc.

Jeff
1) Consider something more useful than "ballast". How about additional batteries?

2) Consider moving some of the stuff you probably have stored on your boat. Spare anchor and chain, spare boat parts, spare fluids, tools, etc.

It costs money to move extra weight through the water so try to make the weight count.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO ballast if added needs to be well secured in place. Not just put in place.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #24
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I've used 2 types of cheap ballast over the years and had no problems with either.
Buy bags of cement, place around the deck to find the correct trim, open a bag, place cement in bin bag liners, close with tie wrap (convenient weight to carry) place in a plastic carrier bag for transportation, place in desired position and remove the bin bag of cement from the carrier bag,place in position,mould to hull shape, make a tiny hole in the bin bag and it will solidify.
Mine have withstood a force 6 and never moved.
The other way is to acquire some used shotblast, and use the same as the cement described above but use sealed bags instead, or if convenient use 3'' plastic drain tube, cut to desired lengths and fit screw on ends, fill with shotblast and stow as required.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #25
FF
Guru

It costs money to move extra weight through the water so try to make the weight count.

Yes it does but on most displacement boats , it hardly matters.

For most boats 2hp or 3hp is all that is required to move a ton, 2240lbs.

Most boat diesels are no where near properly loaded so perhaps 12-15 hp comes from a gallon of fuel.

1/6 of a gallon per hour for 2240 lbs of goodies/ not that bad.

On a plaining boat , its very different.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
It is not just stability and trim that need to be considered when adding / removing ballast-it is where you place it low of course is better but as mentioned above placing weight on one end to counter a weight on the other may create some major back breaking problems. The center of buoyancy and gravity will be altered. Imagine the longitudinal forces at work when the wave distances lift both the bow and stern at the same time and the forces trying to break the boat in half or the other way around where the top of wave is in the middle of the boat and you have too much weight in the bow and stern. All the calculations that the NA would perform can be found in "Stability and Trim For the Ships Officer" by John Ladge. Great reference.
Delfin: On this subject was the original lead ballast on the Delfin placed in the Grey Water Tank? I found it there on her sister.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #27
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
It is not just stability and trim that need to be considered when adding / removing ballast-it is where you place it low of course is better but as mentioned above placing weight on one end to counter a weight on the other may create some major back breaking problems. The center of buoyancy and gravity will be altered. Imagine the longitudinal forces at work when the wave distances lift both the bow and stern at the same time and the forces trying to break the boat in half or the other way around where the top of wave is in the middle of the boat and you have too much weight in the bow and stern. All the calculations that the NA would perform can be found in "Stability and Trim For the Ships Officer" by John Ladge. Great reference.
Delfin: On this subject was the original lead ballast on the Delfin placed in the Grey Water Tank? I found it there on her sister.
I don't know. When I bought her, she was stripped empty, although the P.O., who was a naval architect, placed a few tons in the compartment forward of the 600 gallon potable water tank, below the sole in the forward cabin. After filling her back up again, I needed to add another couple tons on the starboard side in the ER for trim.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
Guru

I found about a ton and a half in the grey water tank (lead ingots) will probably have to add more since I took the crows nest/mast down. Glad the lead was not placed in the fresh water tank.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
I found about a ton and a half in the grey water tank (lead ingots) will probably have to add more since I took the crows nest/mast down. Glad the lead was not placed in the fresh water tank.
If you have the same compartment forward I have, it is ideal for ballast.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
Guru

Fwd. compartment is anchor chain (inside collision bulkhead)potable water tank with Bow thruster tube, then grey water. Appears my potable water tank is larger than yours that must be the area that you have your ballast in.