Baffling bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I was surprised by this. I hauled today for scheduled bottom job and anodes. I felt like I was a bit late as the last haul was 2 years and 8 months ago. The boat has not seen a diver even once in the period since then.
The bottom had looked decent in terms of growth from what I could see but really did not expect to see it in this good condition for this interval in salt. Historically, in the same marina, this has not been the case.
Last haul we went for it with two coats of Seahawk Sharkskin paint system and Propspeed.
First pic is stern view of bottom before the yard man picked up the pressure washer. The prop coating is as new and the thin layer of soft growth is really all there is other than a few barnacles where it was blocked at last haul.
Second pic is far view of the hull just starting to be washed.
Third is a closer view of the old paint after washed.
I elected to add a coat of the same paint but looks like I could have gone awhile pretty comfortably.
Anybody else using this paint? Same experience?

Attachments

• Klee Wyck bottom1 2019.jpg
    Klee Wyck bottom1 2019.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Klee Wyck bottom2.jpg
    Klee Wyck bottom2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Klee Wyck bottom3 2019.jpg
    Klee Wyck bottom3 2019.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 121
Keep doing what you’ve been doing.

The better part of three years and not even a set of eyeballs on your anodes? You like to live dangerously.

The better part of three years and not even a set of eyeballs on your anodes? You like to live dangerously.

Guilty as charged. Thankfully, not sentenced. They were in good shape ranging from ready to be replaced to barely touched.

The one at the top of the rudder tends to be one of the ones consumed most quickly. I can see that one quite well from the dock and look at it frequently. I am aware that is not enough information to go on. The irony is that Laurie and I dive from this boat quite often and should have known exactly what shape the bottom and anodes were in. Apparently always thinking about something else when diving which is quite disrespectful of the risk you are alluding to.

Given the current experience of this haul out and being interested in an even longer interval, we will be more disciplined about looking at her bottom when we are diving. As for this trip, we will happily live with 'no harm' no foul'.

What make/model boat is that? Like the lines

Thanks. She is a Lowland 48 LRC, a non production boat built in the Netherlands of steel, 34 years ago. Designed by Peter Beeldsnijder.

Attachments

• Klee Wyck.jpg
    Klee Wyck.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 78
Cool stuff, being a gear head what’s engines pushing her?

Oh.....is the engine supposed to push her? We usually have to paddle it since the main is a TAMD60.

(Seriously, the Volvo has been very good to us in the 7 years we have owned her but I did not want to disappoint the Volvo haters on the list.)

If you are a motorhead, you may be interested to hear that the main in the other boat (in my avatar) is an MBE 403V10 NA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom