Bad railing design
The support posts for my railings at the entry gates have been loose for a while and I finally got around to figuring out a repair. The plan was to install threaded inserts and then install machine bolts. This was an idea I got from a TF member. Once I got the post off I discovered that when the boat was built, a 2"x2" fiberglass box was fabricated in the top of the rail so screws could be installed for the cleats and stanchions. That fiberglass box did not cover the entire space. There was a 3/4" void on the inside surface. The stanchion screws run the very end of that void. Due to the stress of people pulling on the gate rails the crews came out and the PO increased the screw size. Those screws blew out the back of the fiberglass box.
I cut a 3/8" slot so I could slide the first 1/4" shim in and then installed a 3/8" shim on top of it so the space was solid. The mahogany shims were glued in with Gflex. The stanchion base hides the repair. They are good and solid now.
Now if I just didn't have all these stress cracks in the gelcoat due to the builder not beveling the screw holes