Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Russell NZ
Country: Russell NZ
Vessel Name: MV Unique
Vessel Model: Salthouse Coastal 35
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 115
Exclamation AQntifouling Addatives

After 40 years in the marine coatings industry I thought I had heard all the dumb ideas to make antifouling perform better from Jayes Fluid, Round Up, Tordon and other farm poisons my response was always if these things worked the coating manufacturers woud use them instead of the expensive components used.
Here in The Bay Of Islands New Zealand we have a major barnacle issue especially in the Opua Marina Complex.
I hauled out today to be greeted by the usual barnacle farm under my boat while the guy who hauled immediately after me was fine after 9 months changed his anodes had a pressure wash and got get again.
As the guy seemed a straight up type of guy I asked him whos antifouling he was using his response was that it is not the antifouling that is dealing to the barnacles it was the 2kg per 10 litres of chilli powder he adds to it.
Having seen the results it either works or he is telling me "Porkie Pies"
Any comment out there on this
__________________
Advertisement

Phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,914
One course is to try the chili powder addition yourself. That`s after you establish that his a/f product (apart from the chili addition)and his fouling exposure, and period between lifts, are similar to yours(he seems to have evaded disclosing his a/f product). Otherwise you won`t be comparing apples with apples.
__________________

__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Martin J's Avatar
 
City: Mt Crested Butte
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 356
Ironically we built some glass bottom boats in Bermuda and our solution to keeping the glass clean wash to slather a mixture of Vaseline and hot pepper dust. It worked well and once in sea water the Vaseline / mixture became transparent.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil23 View Post
After 40 years in the marine coatings industry I thought I had heard all the dumb ideas to make antifouling perform better from Jayes Fluid, Round Up, Tordon and other farm poisons my response was always if these things worked the coating manufacturers woud use them instead of the expensive components used.
Here in The Bay Of Islands New Zealand we have a major barnacle issue especially in the Opua Marina Complex.
I hauled out today to be greeted by the usual barnacle farm under my boat while the guy who hauled immediately after me was fine after 9 months changed his anodes had a pressure wash and got get again.
As the guy seemed a straight up type of guy I asked him whos antifouling he was using his response was that it is not the antifouling that is dealing to the barnacles it was the 2kg per 10 litres of chilli powder he adds to it.
Having seen the results it either works or he is telling me "Porkie Pies"
Any comment out there on this

I've heard of this but never seen it in person. I've also heard that coating the bottom with a graphite paint works very well and doesn't require the yearly renewal some ablative paints require.



Ez-Slide is what was recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Slide-Grap...language=en_US
__________________
What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,185
Vasoline sounds good, does not wash off with water, barnacles wont like it. I have thought of using waterproof marine grease too. Vasoline I think would be far cheaper to try.

Do you think a boat would slip out of the slings?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,844
If your boat left a continuous oily sheen around it...you might have some explaining to do.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,479
If chili powder worked, it would be in our bottom paint already. It’s already been tried by the paint manufacturers. They have tried everything to beat the copper elimination mandate that was going into affect next year but has been indefinitely delayed due to the lack of success finding an alternative.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If your boat left a continuous oily sheen around it...you might have some explaining to do.
I dont think Vaseline gives off loose oils. The cartridge of marine grease I have is a limey green color, it is very waterproof. I ought to do a test in a tub., or slick up a pole and put it in the slip water and see what happen over time. Some greases can release oil and are not water proof.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mikala's Avatar
 
City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 192
The problem with Vasoline is suppose it doesn’t work and you decide to go back to normal bottom paint. How would you remove from every nook, cranny and pore in order to get adhesion for the bottom paint?
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
The problem with Vasoline is suppose it doesn’t work and you decide to go back to normal bottom paint. How would you remove from every nook, cranny and pore in order to get adhesion for the bottom paint?
Soda blasting.
__________________
What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mikala's Avatar
 
City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Soda blasting.


Got it. Pretty expensive test, though. Probably best to find a dock mate willing to try it first.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,006
I think chili powder does help. I’ve heard it talked about in Alaska. Some say it works. AF coatings is one of the things I haven’t modified.

But my take on it and all other additives in AF is that it will do damage (almost always) by degrading the “coating” in someway ... probably mostly in it’s adhesion capabilities. So if you put this and that in your AF it may not be there to do it’s job in 6 months. Kinda like putting additives in lube oil. There’s less oil in the oil to lubricate the engine parts. But the additives in oil (15 or so) do more good than harm .... usually. Is chili powder expensive?
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,082
I watched shows of wrecks in salt water where old shoes didn’t have any marine growth on them. So maybe adding tannic acid to the paint will work.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,376
Oh good grief! This stupid idea has been around for fifty years that I know of. I first heard it in the late sixties.

The other stupid idea that’s been around forever is adding tetracycline to the paint. It does nothing.

As for grease, I put Never Seez on my bare bronze prop to see what would happen. It washed off the first time I ran the boat. Of course the hull moves a lot slower than the prop but I suspect it wouldn’t last long enough to be of use.
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Oh good grief! This stupid idea has been around for fifty years that I know of. I first heard it in the late sixties.

The other stupid idea that’s been around forever is adding tetracycline to the paint. It does nothing.

As for grease, I put Never Seez on my bare bronze prop to see what would happen. It washed off the first time I ran the boat. Of course the hull moves a lot slower than the prop but I suspect it wouldn’t last long enough to be of use.
Never seize is a loose bound oily mix with aluminum powder. I cant imagine it would stay on. Hydrocarbons are slowly metabolized by bacteria, anything greasy on the hull eventually dissipates. The less water soluble the grease, the longer it will last.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Oh good grief! This stupid idea has been around for fifty years that I know of. I first heard it in the late sixties.

The other stupid idea that’s been around forever is adding tetracycline to the paint. It does nothing.

As for grease, I put Never Seez on my bare bronze prop to see what would happen. It washed off the first time I ran the boat. Of course the hull moves a lot slower than the prop but I suspect it wouldn’t last long enough to be of use.
Gees, no need to get excited. Not all here have your broad knowledge and experience.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,844
No.... but a 2 minute google search would bring almost anyone up to speed on the topic.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #18
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No.... but a 2 minute google search would bring almost anyone up to speed on the topic.
Why did you not make your Google suggestion after post #1 in this thread rather than wait until post #17 for your enlightment?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,844
Please.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Please.....
OH, now you pretend to be modest
__________________

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×