Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

City: Russell NZ
Vessel Name: MV Unique
Vessel Model: Salthouse Coastal 35
Exclamation AQntifouling Addatives

After 40 years in the marine coatings industry I thought I had heard all the dumb ideas to make antifouling perform better from Jayes Fluid, Round Up, Tordon and other farm poisons my response was always if these things worked the coating manufacturers woud use them instead of the expensive components used.
Here in The Bay Of Islands New Zealand we have a major barnacle issue especially in the Opua Marina Complex.
I hauled out today to be greeted by the usual barnacle farm under my boat while the guy who hauled immediately after me was fine after 9 months changed his anodes had a pressure wash and got get again.
As the guy seemed a straight up type of guy I asked him whos antifouling he was using his response was that it is not the antifouling that is dealing to the barnacles it was the 2kg per 10 litres of chilli powder he adds to it.
Having seen the results it either works or he is telling me "Porkie Pies"
Any comment out there on this

Phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Guru

One course is to try the chili powder addition yourself. That`s after you establish that his a/f product (apart from the chili addition)and his fouling exposure, and period between lifts, are similar to yours(he seems to have evaded disclosing his a/f product). Otherwise you won`t be comparing apples with apples.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Ironically we built some glass bottom boats in Bermuda and our solution to keeping the glass clean wash to slather a mixture of Vaseline and hot pepper dust. It worked well and once in sea water the Vaseline / mixture became transparent.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil23 View Post
After 40 years in the marine coatings industry I thought I had heard all the dumb ideas to make antifouling perform better from Jayes Fluid, Round Up, Tordon and other farm poisons my response was always if these things worked the coating manufacturers woud use them instead of the expensive components used.
Here in The Bay Of Islands New Zealand we have a major barnacle issue especially in the Opua Marina Complex.
I hauled out today to be greeted by the usual barnacle farm under my boat while the guy who hauled immediately after me was fine after 9 months changed his anodes had a pressure wash and got get again.
As the guy seemed a straight up type of guy I asked him whos antifouling he was using his response was that it is not the antifouling that is dealing to the barnacles it was the 2kg per 10 litres of chilli powder he adds to it.
Having seen the results it either works or he is telling me "Porkie Pies"
Any comment out there on this

I've heard of this but never seen it in person. I've also heard that coating the bottom with a graphite paint works very well and doesn't require the yearly renewal some ablative paints require.

Ez-Slide is what was recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Slide-Grap...language=en_US

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Vasoline sounds good, does not wash off with water, barnacles wont like it. I have thought of using waterproof marine grease too. Vasoline I think would be far cheaper to try.

Do you think a boat would slip out of the slings?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If your boat left a continuous oily sheen around it...you might have some explaining to do.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
If chili powder worked, it would be in our bottom paint already. It’s already been tried by the paint manufacturers. They have tried everything to beat the copper elimination mandate that was going into affect next year but has been indefinitely delayed due to the lack of success finding an alternative.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If your boat left a continuous oily sheen around it...you might have some explaining to do.
I dont think Vaseline gives off loose oils. The cartridge of marine grease I have is a limey green color, it is very waterproof. I ought to do a test in a tub., or slick up a pole and put it in the slip water and see what happen over time. Some greases can release oil and are not water proof.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The problem with Vasoline is suppose it doesn’t work and you decide to go back to normal bottom paint. How would you remove from every nook, cranny and pore in order to get adhesion for the bottom paint?
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
The problem with Vasoline is suppose it doesn’t work and you decide to go back to normal bottom paint. How would you remove from every nook, cranny and pore in order to get adhesion for the bottom paint?
Soda blasting.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Soda blasting.

Got it. Pretty expensive test, though. Probably best to find a dock mate willing to try it first.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think chili powder does help. I’ve heard it talked about in Alaska. Some say it works. AF coatings is one of the things I haven’t modified.

But my take on it and all other additives in AF is that it will do damage (almost always) by degrading the “coating” in someway ... probably mostly in it’s adhesion capabilities. So if you put this and that in your AF it may not be there to do it’s job in 6 months. Kinda like putting additives in lube oil. There’s less oil in the oil to lubricate the engine parts. But the additives in oil (15 or so) do more good than harm .... usually. Is chili powder expensive?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I watched shows of wrecks in salt water where old shoes didn’t have any marine growth on them. So maybe adding tannic acid to the paint will work.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Oh good grief! This stupid idea has been around for fifty years that I know of. I first heard it in the late sixties.

The other stupid idea that’s been around forever is adding tetracycline to the paint. It does nothing.

As for grease, I put Never Seez on my bare bronze prop to see what would happen. It washed off the first time I ran the boat. Of course the hull moves a lot slower than the prop but I suspect it wouldn’t last long enough to be of use.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Oh good grief! This stupid idea has been around for fifty years that I know of. I first heard it in the late sixties.

The other stupid idea that’s been around forever is adding tetracycline to the paint. It does nothing.

As for grease, I put Never Seez on my bare bronze prop to see what would happen. It washed off the first time I ran the boat. Of course the hull moves a lot slower than the prop but I suspect it wouldn’t last long enough to be of use.
Never seize is a loose bound oily mix with aluminum powder. I cant imagine it would stay on. Hydrocarbons are slowly metabolized by bacteria, anything greasy on the hull eventually dissipates. The less water soluble the grease, the longer it will last.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

Gees, no need to get excited. Not all here have your broad knowledge and experience.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
Guru

No.... but a 2 minute google search would bring almost anyone up to speed on the topic.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No.... but a 2 minute google search would bring almost anyone up to speed on the topic.
Why did you not make your Google suggestion after post #1 in this thread rather than wait until post #17 for your enlightment?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
Guru

Please.....
Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
Guru